You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 04:27:43 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Amazing Stupid Filter  (Read 366 times)

Offline The Great TriangleTopic starter

The Amazing Stupid Filter
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »
Recently, the internet has gone to the effort of an ambitious project to filter stupidity from the internet.  Apparently, a group of programmers took several thousand youtube comments, ranked them in terms of stupidity, then constructed an algorithm to analyze the stupidity level of any given text.

The current state of the project seems a little lacking.  I've tried typing in long sequences of swear words, and as long as I spell everything correctly, it doesn't seem to identify it as stupid.  The filter also can't seem to detect bad logic, although it's apparently being designed as a moderation tool. 

So is this theoretical technology the salvation of the internet, or fascist dumbwittery?  I'm prone to thinking that the software could pass through several iterations before it can detect what is genuinely stupid.  (although it might be fun to take a look at rejected and accepted intro threads on the site and see how many of them flag as stupid on the filter.)

http://stupidfilter.org/main/index.php

Offline Leonis

Re: The Amazing Stupid Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
As...someone...once said, only two things are eternal: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.

Offline MasterMischief

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
I was not able to get anything classified as stupid.  Color me skeptical.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:54 PM »
I couldn't get anything to be considered stupid, and I submitted some pretty random and off the wall things.  Though I think stupid is relative and not determinable by a machine.  There is no substitute to a human moderator.