You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 08, 2016, 04:03:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: It's All About the Angles  (Read 658 times)

Offline Beguile's MistressTopic starter

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 2016 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
It's All About the Angles
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
Have you ever wondered why 1 is 1 and 2 is 2?  It's all about the angles.  If one writes the numbers down (see below) on a piece of paper in their older forms, one quickly sees why.

[/]
http://forum.tayyar.org/f7/logic-behind-arabic-numbers-35116/

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls

Offline MercyfulFate

Re: It's All About the Angles
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
Can't say I ever have.

Offline Kate

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:04:14 AM »
wow i would have never guessed.

didnt know the original "7" looked like that either

Offline Valerian

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
No, the original Arabic seven looked basically like the modern seven.  That's hardly changed.

Even without looking at the helpful links Oni provided, that looked like a real stretch to me.  As someone who's studied and done calligraphy, I'd never expect to find someone from a society that has only calligraphy pens and brushes available for serious writing sitting down and deliberately coming up with shapes like those.  Sharp angles are Not Fun.  The eight in particular would be unworkable.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
The ornamentation to the 7 is primarily (according to my math profs) to distinguish it from the European 1 (which has the top serif) and the > sign, all three of which can look terribly similar when written quickly.  (And they showed that to us on the chalkboard, typically with something like 71>17.)  Likewise, you'll see people that write their Z with a crossbar, which distinguishes it from a 2.

Offline Valerian

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
I picked up the crossbar on the 7 when I was a kid -- I thought it looked cool -- but now I just think of it as a very useful thing to help differentiate my sevens and ones. That's probably a relatively recent addition, really, as mathematics evolved and things like 1-7 or Z-2 confusion became more and more common... though frustratingly, I haven't yet found a time period for when the crossbars started being used on sevens regularly.  Hmph.

Anyway, the fact is no one sat down and worked out a numbers system all at once -- they evolved, like any other language or alphabet, and their evolution can be traced pretty clearly.  Angles didn't enter into it.  Though I can see why it came about -- people like there to be some sort of order to these things.  :)