Interest check - Exalted

Started by HairyHeretic, October 08, 2009, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I got an email the other day that told me WW are releasing this come next summer ..

QuoteExalted Return of the Scarlet Empress (June 2010)

The Age Turns at Last The Scarlet Empress returns, and unknown to most, she heralds the Yozi Reclamation. Soon, Creation will be plunged into conflict, and whether they support the Empress efforts or oppose her at every turn, the world's Exalted will be at the heart of the struggle. In the end, as the heavens shake and the Blessed Isle burns, what tales will they tell of your deeds?

A ready-made series for Exalted , Second Edition, featuring:
An adventure that spans Creation
Action for each Exalt type, as well as most other Exalted characters, from Mountain Folk to heroic mortals
Stats for the Scarlet Empress herself

This sounds a lot of fun to me. I'd guess the Empress comes back and starts trying to corrupt the Dragonbloods to Yozi worship over a period of time.

Eventually someone will catch on .. possibly Chejop Kejak, if he is still lurking around the Immaculate Order, and then things will get interesting. Probably a shadow war. The yozis wanting to increase their power in secret, move their pawns around, the celestials trying to counter their schemes and build power bases of their own (I call dibs on Lookshy!)

Once the yozi feel comfortable enough .. end game. Portals are opened, demons run loose. The realm elite are mostly decapitated or turned. The solars commit their forces in reply, backed up by Lunars, Sidereals and perhaps even Abyssals (who are going to reap a rich harvest there).

Could be a hell of a lot of fun :)

So, my idea is to kick it out as a game idea and see if the interest was there for it. Probably run it freeform / rules light so people don't need to worry about stats and can concentrate on EPICNESS  ;D

Anyone interested?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ReijiTabibito

Oh, hell yes!  Finally, an Exalted game I can get behind!  I call one of the few surviving Terrestrials!

Quick question: how epic do you want our characters to be?  Can we make a character (I know you don't need a char sheet, as you describe it), and then stack experience on top of it?  From just the sounding, we may need experienced chars...

HairyHeretic

I'm still kicking ideas around. If we go rules light or freeform, you don't really need to worry about charms, stats and experience. You just saw that you're one of the Roseblacks officers, or a high ranking Gens from Lookshy, and command 500 crack troops, and a fang of warstriders.

Or you're a Lunar, running a small tribal coalition of your own.

Or a solar freedom fighter, operating out of Nexus.

Perhaps even a ronin Abyssal, trying to regain his soul, or a Sidereal trying to find what is causing these strange ripples in the Loom.

I'd like to start things with a degree of power, and over the space of a while (variable time .. years maybe?) move things to a grand scale. Huge armies clashing, the handfull of Lookshys surviving First age airships raining down destruction on demonic hordes, while a desperate alliance of solars, lunars and a handfull of others make a commando raid on the Blessed Isle to take control of the realm defense grid to blast the demons back where they came from.

You know ...

EPIC!  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ReijiTabibito

So, basically, we have as much power as we want (without going crazy powerful though), and whatever Charms we might want?

HairyHeretic

Within reason. We might work out a rough scale on points.

Personal power
Troops
Artifacts
Backing / resources

And give some rough balance there. At the moment its still just the kicking ideas around phase :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Raveled

Always interested in Exalted epicness.  Lunar is my Exalt of choice; if any Solars want to work out a bond, talk to me.

So the Empress marrying the Ebon Dragon is canon, now?  They hinted at it pretty heavily in the Infernals book, but WW has a habit of screwing with player expectations.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

HairyHeretic

It certainly looks to be canon.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*groans* 

That hurts, Hairy!  Taking somthing that cool and doing it freeform? 

*Groans and limps away in pain.* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

I figure it will result in faster posting. You know as well as I do how long it can take to get dice rolls done :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

This sounds decidedly awesome, though I'm very undecided about character concept as yet.  (Although as long as you're going freeform or system-lite, I'd probably gravitate towards some concept that is...disadvantaged in the normal system.)

Raveled

Quote from: Jefepato on October 09, 2009, 05:18:23 PM
This sounds decidedly awesome, though I'm very undecided about character concept as yet.  (Although as long as you're going freeform or system-lite, I'd probably gravitate towards some concept that is...disadvantaged in the normal system.)

If you pull out a mortal hero, I'd be floored if he survives his first combat.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Jefepato

Quote from: Raveled on October 09, 2009, 05:33:40 PM
If you pull out a mortal hero, I'd be floored if he survives his first combat.

Good lord, who said anything about playing a mortal?  That would be ridiculous -- the fact that mortals are pretty much helpless is a basic fact of the setting, not a quirk of the system.

I meant "disadvantaged" in the same sense that a Solar who, say, invests in multiple combat skills or doesn't buy any artifacts is disadvantaged.  When the system is abstracted out to the point where "personal power" is a generality, that sort of thing isn't an issue.

NightFall

I'm sort of new but have played PbP games in Exalted before. If you guys are willing to take on a newbie, I'd love to play!

One caveat: character creation help is needed, sorely.

One plus: I've been told that I write rather well. Does that help?  ;D

HairyHeretic

Character creation should be easier freeform than system-wise :) What kind of concepts do people think would work best in the setting for this?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Raveled

Well, I'd like to know a little bit more about what exactly the game is supposed to be about.  Is this going to be all warlords leading armies, or more back-room politics and deal-making?
O|O A|A Ideas

Insight

I would love to be a part of this!
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Raveled on October 13, 2009, 08:17:58 PM
Well, I'd like to know a little bit more about what exactly the game is supposed to be about.  Is this going to be all warlords leading armies, or more back-room politics and deal-making?

Yes :)

Honestly, I think it would depend on what people wanted to play. I'm still just kicking ideas around.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NightFall

Could we do half and half to keep it interesting? Some action and some character interaction is always a plus for me. Bring on the politics and the deals (for whoever wants to deal with them).  ;D

HairyHeretic

Generally when I run a game I try to put in stuff for each player, give each a chance to shine every now and then. If everyone plays combat monsters, there's not a great deal of point in trying to run a game of subtle political maneuvering :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Empyrean

Definitely sounds interesting to me. :)

Not sure what I'd play, though the idea of a Twilight or No Moon Scavenger Lord and sorcerer/ess who turns their finds and inventions towards saving the world is appealing. Would you be allowing Infernals and Alchemicals in?

HairyHeretic

Infernals would be the enemy in this, so no. Alchemicals .. not sure. They've never really made that big an impact in Exalted as a world setting. About the only limelight they got was the Locust Crusade (I think) and I don't know anyone who ever played that out.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Rhapsody

Even though the supplement is not one I'm particularly looking forward to, I could easily give this a go if you're still looking for people. 
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

HairyHeretic

This is kinda on the long finger, at least til I get my Rogue Trader up and running.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cold Heritage

Even though this's on indefinite hold, I'd like to put my hat in the running for trying out. Exalted is such a nice game held back by such awful, awful rules.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Empyrean

Will you be PMing those who've shown interest when you're ready to start?