You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 05:56:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Windows Vista help: Administrative privileges  (Read 352 times)

Offline CysmaTopic starter

Windows Vista help: Administrative privileges
« on: September 29, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
I still have my computer from when I lived with my parents, but the only account I can access on it is not an administrative account. I can't access very many websites, I can't install or uninstall programs, and it automatically locks me out for certain hours of the day. Is there any way I can regain User Account Control?

Offline Ket

• Electroslut Extraordinaire
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • The Onion Queen - crispy fried goodness
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Windows Vista help: Administrative privileges
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »
Call your parents, ask for the password.

Offline Serephino

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
If your parents don't know the password your only other option is to format.  There is a way, my boyfriend figured it out once. 

Offline CysmaTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
Hmm...you know, if you have a password-protected account, then your computer has to store the password somewhere, right? What if we could find the file and decode it?

Offline OldSchoolGamer

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »
Hmm...you know, if you have a password-protected account, then your computer has to store the password somewhere, right? What if we could find the file and decode it?

For understandable reasons, Microsoft uses a fairly complex encryption system for that.

Ethically, I have a hard time with helping people defeat passwords.  If you locked yourself out of your own computer, you have my sympathies, but you're likely looking at an OS reinstall.

Your best bet going forward is to write down the password and place it somewhere where only you know where it is.  You don't even have to label it as such.  You might also want to look at creating two accounts with admin rights in case for whatever reason one fails to boot properly.