Firefly based rp OOC and IC are up.

Started by Merlyn, September 19, 2009, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlyn

Yeah, so ever since I had finished watching the entire series I wanted to get a rp going based off of Firefly, and since I'm getting bored and don't want to be wasting money on any games I'm going to see if anyone else is interested.

So in case you are viewing this and have no idea what Firefly is I'll explain about it a little.  Basically it's a space western tv show from a few years back.  One of the main theme's and almost always used in the intro was the line, 'A ship brings yah work, and a gun helps you keep it.'  The story is that Earth had finally been just about destroyed, so the race expanded and terraformed many other planets in a new galaxy.  The Alliance was formed to be the ruling power over the solar system.  And an opposing group had come about and there was a civil war, in which the Alliance ended up winning out.  The are in charge of everything, and are more or less a bad group.  But their rule tends to lessen the further away from the center of the system you are, and the planets at the edge are often left alone, usually to suffer. 
More info on the show.

So, what I'm thinking is that the game would revolve around either a medium to large ship, and possibly a settlement on a distant planet.  Or even a settlement that is just starting up. 
I was thinking that it should probably go either bon-h or nc-h,  with the respect for a players o/o especially if it were in nc.  But since one of the major characters in the show was a prostitute, non adult would be a bit silly if you ask me.  And I just think that the western styled theme, coupled with the left to die attitude that is often in the show, just lends itself more toward the nc side of things.
It would most likely be a free form. 

Any ideas or interest are much appreciated.

OOC and Characters

OOC and Characters
Off Ship
Galley
Bridge
All Quarters and Common Areas
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs

Hunter

Last time I checked, Hulu.com has virtually (if not all) of the series.

Merlyn

Yep, I believe they do.  I didn't mention it since I think hulu is only available inside the US.  Glad you did though.

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs

Vandren

http://www.fireflywiki.org/

Pretty good wiki with more specific Firefly info.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Kaiten

I would love to be a part of this. Watched the hell out of those episodes on DVD and on Hulu. You definitely have my interest. A ship would be an interesting idea, confined space usually brings good stories, both adult and not.

jouzinka

I would like to point out that Inara was hardly a prostitute. She was way too educated and cultured to be called that. :-)

Otherwise this thread certainly caught my eye. I'll keep watching. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

playfullchick76

I concur, Inara was a companion.Calling her a prostitute is like calling the Eiffel Tower a big hunk of metal. I did see Serenity, and i bought the firefly series after that.it was a very well made series.Im not sure who I could play in it, but i would be interested.

Kaiten

It should be OCs if it's gonna be on a medium ship. That way there's plenty of possibilities.

Gladiator0161

Got room for another person? lol. I love Firefly and I've got both the series and the movie they made over it, lol.

I'd like to play either the pilot, like Wash but with my own twists, or the guy that does the muscle/securtiy work like Jane, lol.

Merlyn

Well, we certainly seem to be getting a good amount of interest in this.  I'll try and hash out some more ideas in my head and get them up tomorrow.  And there is certainly more room, as far as it goes we could always run multiple ships, or have a settlement/space port as well.  So if anyone else wants to join it's perfectly all right, I'll get the OOC/Char thread up tomorrow.

And yes Inara was a companion, I suppose I was leaning more towards Mal with that one. ;) 

Anyways, just to make clear also, I was not looking to have a complete parallel, with everyone playing a character from the series.  But more of just using the series for a setting and base with our own characters (who could  be based and have commonalities with with series characters) and our own story/s.

Ons and Offs

playfullchick76

Ok, im already thinking about the character that i could play.Perhaps an Alliance Defector or something like that.

Kaiten

This Could be easy enough to Organize too, just make a ship and a crew list or something and their positions.

Kate

I would adore to play :)

phps we can have a slightly larger ship
or two ships -which fly close together and can-link with each other during normal travel
and only need to separate when doing other things ?

Merlyn

XD I'm happy to see such a large amount of interest coming in. 

So, first off is everyone ok with it being NC-H, as I said earlier it will be with respect for o/o's so if you wish to get involved with another players character please look over their o/o's and possibly contact them.  This would not be a game for the crew to be raping each other.  I'm looking for a lot more focus on the game/storyline then on sex. 

Also it seems everyone just wants to have a ship so we'll forgo the idea of a settlement.  So, just as a brief overview the Serenity had only a crew of five (leaving Inara out of the count because she rented a shuttle, and was not part of maintaining/running the ship) before taking on passengers, and with that in mind I'm thinking we may need to use a larger ship, or as Kate suggested multiple that can connect/disconnect. 
Given that a firefly was a medium transport, we may want something a bit larger than that.  So, if anyone wants to stick up pictures or plans feel free and we can decide on what we want to use. 

I apologize but I won't be on too much until later tonight (meaning about 12 hours for me.)  I'm a bit busy today, but I plan on getting up the ooc and character thread tonight, as soon as I'm sure NC-H would be ok.

Ons and Offs

Kate

very cool with NC exotic (considering its sci-fi i was sort of expecting it) or nc -h

Kate

phps a different model to serenity

- larger -

Makes things easy to visualize.

kckolbe

Big Serenity/Firefly fan here, and interested right now.  Not sure what kinda char to play yet though.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

jouzinka

Quote from: Kate on September 20, 2009, 10:56:00 AM
very cool with NC exotic (considering its sci-fi i was sort of expecting it) or nc -h

Hardly. After all, Firefly/Serenity was a human-only universe. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Gladiator0161

I think having a bigger ship would be fun, that way we have a bigger crew and more dangers as we fly through space, lol. I think we'd be a prime target for Reavers, Pirates and Mercenaries looking to loot the ship.

Oh, I have a question though, whether we have two ships that link or one big ship, would it/they have weapons?

All the Firefly fans know that Serenity didn't but this isn't Serenity as Merlyn stated. I think I can safely assume that ship weapons are probably one of the most expensive peices of armature in the galaxy but, the show did have alot of enemies that the Serenity crew came up against, that did have weapons on their ships.
Since we seem to be having a good turn out on this thread, I'm seriously just considering a security/enforcer type caracter, and forgoing the pilot idea.

Merlyn

Well, I was starting to think that we'd start off with just a transport, and then either modify it to add weapons, or get an attack ship that could attach to or reside in it.  I say that because in terms of the series there were not very many ships that had weapons, other than Alliance cruisers. 
And I might be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't it outlawed by the Alliance to have weapons on your ship?  Because that would make it difficult to visit inner worlds, without getting blown up anyway.

And just as a side note, I'll most likely refer to the series over the movie, because I didn't like the movie all that much, especially compared to the Series, too much was changed and/or lost in my opinion.

Ons and Offs

Merlyn

OOC and Characters is up.  Feel free to post your characters at your leisure. 

Ons and Offs

Gladiator0161

Ok, sounds good to me but, I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that about the movie for my own peice of mind. I thought it carried on the series rather well, all they did was speed up events.

I'll be posting a character shortly, just gotta figure out some angles first, lol.

Treena

i call dibs on the compainon hehe and mermy i can't wait to play i to loved the series never saw the movie though

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

Merlyn

Ok, the ship we are going to use is out of the Serenity RPG.  \

Here are some links to the deck plans, I'll post pictures in the ooc tomorrow when I can edit them a bit to fit well, and perhaps make a few modifications.
Outside.
Upper Deck
Lower Deck

Ons and Offs

playfullchick76

I like what people are putting in. Im thinking my character could have a secret past.She could be a former alliance assassin, like book. She could be their doctor.like book,she woudlnt volunteer too many details about her past.

She could have other skills. I;ll put up all that in the character thread.