Words missing from the spell checker?

Started by grdell, August 25, 2009, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdell

I just used the word "leapt" (past tense of the word leap) in a post and the spell checker did not recognize it. So I looked it up on www.m-w.com (Merriam-Webster dictionary's official site), and they confirmed that it is, in fact, a proper word.

So now I'm curious... Is the spell checker a third-party option that E is leveraging, or is it maintained by E independently? Can words be added?
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Vekseid

It's because leapt is a UK spelling and I'm not loading the British dictionary.

I can add words, though I'd prefer a list... the checker calls an aspell dictionary, which is an open source program.

I've found myself having to fix "leapt" in my own writing for years. No built-in dictionary I've ever used has included it, even though it's instinctive for me to use leapt, despite being American.

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on August 25, 2009, 12:51:57 PM
It's because leapt is a UK spelling and I'm not loading the British dictionary.
I hope my asking you why does not offend. It does not seem much work to load it up. Or is it?

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on August 25, 2009, 01:44:21 PM
I hope my asking you why does not offend. It does not seem much work to load it up. Or is it?

I did install the British dictionaries, seems I need to get SMF to recognize it >_>

It just falls under one of the things to stick into a to do list, really. A part of it is also the fact that I'd rather be focusing on my own CMS where I could - for example - permit per-user custom directories.

grdell

Hey, no hurry, man. I know your plate's pretty full, and you're doing awesome work as it is.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.