Gender groups

Started by Dakota, July 26, 2009, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota

Vek would it be possible to have the rp wanted sections split into gender categories? I.e male seeking female

Caeli

It's something that has been discussed before, but not something that we'll be implementing for the present time, if at all. I don't quite remember the reasoning behind it, but I believe it's mostly that the request boards are not yet busy enough to require another distinction along gender lines. (I could be wrong, though)

For now, people are simple encouraged to include within the titles what gender of roleplayer they are looking for.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Dakota

Ok thanks for replying hun. I just find it annoying when i see the title of and rp that i may be interested into, only to click into it and find out its a dude seeking a female etc

Oniya

I've had that disappointment myself, but I think Caeli's method of labeling threads would be just as efficient (possibly more so) as a growing number of sub-boards.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

A problem I forsee is many members don't request specific games or partners but just list their plot ideas and many even would not mind if the writing partner(s) were M or F or played M or F characters, so such a game request would require posting in multiple threads. Can't see that going down too well.

Oniya

That's why some way of indicating what gender character was being sought would be handy.  For example, if I see a thread marked 'Teacher/Student RP Wanted', it might spark my interest, but then I hit the thread and find that it's someone wanting to play a female seduced (or seducing) a male.  Admittedly, I sometimes play cross-gender, but it can be a let-down if I was hoping to play a sexy co-ed trying to up her grades.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

Quote from: Oniya on July 26, 2009, 12:09:57 PM
That's why some way of indicating what gender character was being sought would be handy.  For example, if I see a thread marked 'Teacher/Student RP Wanted', it might spark my interest, but then I hit the thread and find that it's someone wanting to play a female seduced (or seducing) a male.  Admittedly, I sometimes play cross-gender, but it can be a let-down if I was hoping to play a sexy co-ed trying to up her grades.
My point goes deeper than that. Many, if not the majority, of posts in the 'players wanted' threads are not asking for one game but multiple games, many are not much more that a list like 'master/slave', 'pirate/captive' and so on. You cannot expect members to list all the gender options they require and if you did you'd still be no better off.

I've argued before for members to do one post per game request giving correct title and tags but I was largely ignored - many members prefer to just post up a huge 'shopping list' of possible game ideas they'd like to do. I gave up looking at such posts long ago. I've said it before, I think members would get a higher response rate if they listed a specific game separately in each post.

I wonder if E's admins might consider outlawing such (in my mind) useless posts and making people list games clearly by title and tags... everything would be so much clearer.

Caeli

Quote from: Haibane on July 26, 2009, 06:17:36 PMI wonder if E's admins might consider outlawing such (in my mind) useless posts and making people list games clearly by title and tags... everything would be so much clearer.

1. Just because you believe it so doesn't make it the only correct way. I'm sure there are some who post up 'shopping lists' are well satisfied with the number of roleplays they get. I have succeeded. Others have succeeded. Obviously, somebody reads them, even if you do not.

2. So long as the rules are followed, staff does not dictate how our members roleplay - this includes how they want to search for games. In our minds, it's useless to try to control all aspects of the internet's (like labeling a thread title). Even if there was such a rule, not all games fit into the categories, fit into too many, and there would be far, far too many people punished because stickies aren't read, and some people just prefer not to use tags and titles.

I would prefer not to spend all of my already limited time on E cracking down on something like that.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to bear with the useless posts. If you choose not to look at 'shopping lists' and tagless titles, just think of it as their loss, Haibane. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

It was just my opinion. You're more than welcome to not agree. ;)

But the tags are trying to enforce a rule - and not succeeding very well...

Quotenot all games fit into the categories
That's interesting. How could that happen given E's tagging system? If a game does not fit one of E's categories, where on the forums would it be played?

I understand that policing thread titles, etc would be a lot of work initially but this isn't "the internet" in a broad sense but a private site that has a sharp leadership team, so eventually the membership would mostly adhere to the tags rules - I mean they should already be doing so now, shouldn't they?

Caeli

You are entitled to your opinion, and I haven't said otherwise.

Quote from: Haibane on July 26, 2009, 06:32:00 PMThat's interesting. How could that happen given E's tagging system? If a game does not fit one of E's categories, where on the forums would it be played?

If I have a story idea but I haven't ironed out particulars, it could be played in Light, Bondage, Extreme, or NC, not to mention Freeform, Exotic, or Human. [Mul] is as ambiguous a tag as listing all of the possibilities.

QuoteI understand that policing thread titles, etc would be a lot of work initially but this isn't "the internet" in a broad sense but a private site that has a sharp leadership team, so eventually the membership would mostly adhere to the tags rules - I mean they should already be doing so now, shouldn't they?

We have dozens of new members joined every day, and increasing numbers becoming approved every week. The membership is an organic, changing group - so sure, you adhere to the iron-fisted rule because you got slapped on the wrist, and maybe Charles who joined a week ago read the sticky, but that's not to say about Dick, Sally, and Richard (who were just approved yesterday), did.

Staff = friends.
Staff =/= dictators.

Different methods work for different people. We understand and respect that.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Dakota

Dammit should have kept the opinion to myself >< all its doing its going around in a pointless circle- lock this thread please

Caeli

Locked at OP's request.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ