Dreamlands! [VAN / BON ]

Started by Lord Drake, July 16, 2009, 04:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Drake

Ok.. being me an absolute newbie and barely still not able to walk around with my own legs here..

AND

Absolutely lacking self-preservation instincts..

I'd like to present an idea I'd like to develop in a RP game, if i can find some volunteer that agrees to trust me.

The basic idea is simple and straight, and based on Lovecraft's Dreamlands (for those who have read them).

*Uses Wiki-fu*
The Dreamlands is a vast, alternate dimension that can be entered through dreams, similar to astral projection or lucid dreaming. Experienced dreamers are among the most powerful inhabitants of the Dreamlands and may become its permanent residents after their physical deaths.
To reach the Dreamlands, a sleeper must find an unusual stairway in a conventional dream and walk down the Seventy Steps of Light Slumber to face the judgment of powerful gatekeepers named Nasht and Kaman-Tha. If judged worthy (that is, able to survive the dangers of the Dreamlands), the dreamer is allowed to descend the Seven Hundred Steps of Deeper Slumber and emerges in the Enchanted Wood. When entering the Dreamlands this way, the person leaves his or her physical body safely in the waking world. If the dreamer is killed during his or her travels, the person's corporeal body will suffer only a shock. Sometimes, however, this can be fatal — dream death of this kind makes return to the Dreamlands impossible. Waking up causes a person's dream self to disappear; thus the individual may have difficulty recalling anything learned or experienced while asleep (similar to conventional dreaming). A dreamer who dies in the real world while his dream self is still alive may have the option of retiring to the Dreamlands for the remainder of his dream self's "life."

NOW THE TWIST: in my version of the Dreamlands, the dream-self of someone need not be similar, or even the same sex of his wake-self. Dream-selves are much nearer to someone's true nature than their physical body so it is not impossible for a very 'proper' businessman to dream himself as a big-breasted and rash barbarian heroine.

So what happens if relations become.. intimate? How those relations would be felt and lived? And what if two individuals were to casually encounter in real life too??

^^

I think this can be a good plot idea for a multi (3 to 5 people I'd say) RP.

What do you think??
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

NekoBoy89

I am of course on this little idea, it is nice and could turn to be really interesting and things might turn really weird...perfect.  ::)

Chaos

This could be very interesting... yeah, sounds good.

Transgirlenstein

Colour me interested!  I love Lovecraft
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Crovonovin

Count me in on this one!  The Dreamland Mythos was always a particular favorite of mine, and I've got the entire collection here to peruse and reference at my leisure.  Of course, anyone else wanting specifics should feel free to ask me as well!

Transgirlenstein

Or me..or us both....

*starts forming ideas*
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Lord Drake

Ok.. I think we are starting to be a nice group. Now I'd like to see some ideas for the characters... the best thing would be a couple of profiles.. one for the waking world and another one for the dream world. They should have similarities but also differences since in the dream world we tend to be more.. sincere with your feelings and desires.

Also.. there could be a wholly change of physical aspect, sex included.

Let's see some chars..

(P.S. this one will probably be freeform)
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton