You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 24, 2016, 06:47:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Living in a different world, how to communicate.  (Read 590 times)

Offline Fragile DreamsTopic starter

• Officialy Elliquiy's Cookie Pimp.
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Today I introduce myself... to my own feelings
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
Living in a different world, how to communicate.
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:24:30 AM »
Hello and welcome to my first blog. Iíve never done anything like this, neither I kept any form of diary in my life, but now I felt I should write about something that got in my mind recently. As most of the people in Elliquiy know, I reside in Greece for almost all my life, I was  born in Germany and raised in Greece since the age of 3. While to some, being a Greek means that is something cool and awesome, because of the history and the myths, there is another issue that clearly troubles me and Iím sure some of the people I know, The language. I talk and chat with people from America, god only knows how long, but still I feel that is not enough. In the Greek educational system, kids have to start going to English private schools, along with the daily schools, in order to learn to speak the language, there are 3 diplomas they need to get, to use them for work in the future, those are, Standard, Lower and Proficiency, though the third is optional, for the ones who want to teach. The thing is, that I went to one of these schools and dropped out of them as soon as I learnt the basic, such as grammar, vocabulary, meanings and stuff, while the other kids in my class, went more, learnt more and got more. I donít want to start bragging about myself, but through music and through internet, Iíve learnt how to communicate with people across the Atlantic, and they have been the best teachers anyone can haveÖ And that means you too, people of Elliquiy, because you have been some of those teachers as well.

There have been many times that I couldnít find the right words or the write expressions to give people to understand what I mean, or what I want. Also there have been many times that I couldnít realize what was said in the game or the chat Iím in, thatís why most times you will see me lurking or not talking at all, Iím not doing it because I donít have opinion over something, neither because Iím afraid of criticism, Iím hiding because of my lack of responding, because I donít know how to express my opinion correctly without offending someone, unwillingly. So Iím asking from everyone, bare with me and my language, because English is not my primary one, nor I can think everything in English right away, I have to read, translate, think a response, translate it again and then type it or say it to the person Iím talking with. There was a week last month, that everything I did or said was in English, even to my family, who canít talk a single word, I donít want to lose my first language, I love Greek, but throughout these years, Iíve put an effort to learn to speak your language, and with a great help I admit it, but what I want to say is, Iím still learning and if you want to help me learn please, I would appreciate it, but Iím begging you, donít make me feel like Iím using netspeak when Iím saying something in English, that might not making any sense to you.

Thatís all I wanted to say about my language and the difference between us, Iím sorry if it sounded like a rant, that wasnít the intention. All I wanted is to give a brief view of what is like, to be a foreigner, a stranger from all across the globe from where most of you people are, but Iím not talking only about myself, I think I cover many of the not-English members of Elliquiy, we are minority in here, but we ARE here.