Johnny Depp goes 'mad': Tim Burton Takes on 'Alice in Wonderland'

Started by The Overlord, June 24, 2009, 12:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Johnny Depp just doesn’t seem to miss these days; he takes on some of the most eccentric roles on the big screen and gives us iconic performances. Tim Burton is just an amazing visionary. Now tackling a classic like this, I’m hyped to see this.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/need-to-know-alice-in-wonderland.html

From the towering skyscrapers of Gotham City, to the foggy village of Sleepy Hollow, on into the candy-colored realm of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, director Tim Burton has built his reputation on bringing wildly imaginative worlds to life. It was just a matter of time before he ventured into one of the earliest and still beloved fantasy worlds in literature: Lewis Carroll's immortal "Alice in Wonderland."

Burton's movie version isn't simply a retelling of the original 1865 novel. It's a new story that has Alice returning to Wonderland as a teenager several years after the events of Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-Glass."

But it's not just the story that will be new and innovative in Burton's adaptation. The film will digitally manipulate footage of real actors to create Wonderland's bizarre inhabitants. Burton told Disney's D23 Magazine, "It's kind of a mixture of some distorted live action and animation. I can't relate it to anything because I'm not sure what to relate it to. It's kind of new territory for me."

The visual style of Burton's take on "Alice in Wonderland" has been a closely-guarded secret up until now. Here are five photos revealing how the stars of the movie have been transformed into Carroll's classic characters.

Oniya

With the number of times I've read that book, it's amazing that I never noticed that the text never specified that Tweedledee and Tweedledum were twins - only that they were brothers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tachi

It's funny since in his role as Jack Sparrow he wasn't supposed to be that crazy. He just stayed in the sauna too long (to see what pirates actually dealt with out in the hot sun all day) and was a little loopy, unable to stop his hand gestures.

Mnemaxa

Actually, what is interesting is that his swaying and hand guestures are actually common among long term achoholics and seafarers.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

GnothiSeauton

I honestly can't wait for it to come out!  Alice in Wonderland was like my favorite story growing up.  It looks like it should be pretty good with the cast. 
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Caeli

This is going to be such an awesome movie. Tim Burton is amazing!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Overlord

Quote from: Mnemaxa on June 24, 2009, 01:42:16 AM
Actually, what is interesting is that his swaying and hand guestures are actually common among long term achoholics and seafarers.

And I think Capt. Jack qualified for both.

saturnschild

Wow I can't even tell that is Johnny Depp with that make up on. I was staring at the picture trying to see him but I really couldn't.....All in all can't wait, Tim Burton is a genius
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

Lithos

I have liked most things with Johnny Depp in them, this will probably add to the list. I like the fairytale too.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Caity

Covert Revulsion

Can't wait! I've always love the movies Tim Burton produces.

Andy

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Shiri

Tim Burton is just genius and isn't afraid to step into new territory.

consortium11

Honestly?

I can't help but feel this will probably slightly disappoint.

I remember the hype for Depp as Willy Wonka with Burton directing... and I found the movie fairly generic and Depp uninspiring... neither the film or Depp were a patch on the 1971 version. Likewise with Sweeny Todd... it was enjoyable, slightly different but nothing to really write home about.

I'm sure it will be good enough... but I'm going to try and avoid getting excited.

Skye

Quote from: Mnemaxa on June 24, 2009, 01:42:16 AM

It's funny...now that you mention...-pauses and notices my hand gestures.-

Quote from: consortium11 on June 24, 2009, 12:32:41 PM
Honestly?

I remember the hype for Depp as Willy Wonka with Burton directing... and I found the movie fairly generic and Depp uninspiring... neither the film or Depp were a patch on the 1971 version. Likewise with Sweeny Todd... it was enjoyable, slightly different but nothing to really write home about.

I'm sure it will be good enough... but I'm going to try and avoid getting excited.

And yeah, I thought he was creepy/Michael Jacksonish in Willy Wonka. -Twitches.-
I think he's crazy enough to pull off the 'Mad Hatter'. -Nods and deviates from the subject.-> I love Helena Bonham Carter! I want to be her when I grow up. -Skips off laughing.-
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Serephino

I liked him in the Willy Wonka movie.  What I didn't like was the oompa loompa songs.  The original ones were great, the new ones were stupid.

Indigo

Its seems like I've been watching Depp for decades...-21 jump stre- crap...it has been decades!  I remember him from the first nightmare on elm street when I was a preteen  :P

He's got a strange androgyny that I like, as well as being the kind of person to seek out unsusual roles...

That's how many films now he's gotten together with Burton with?

five or six?

-corpse bride
-sleepy hollow
-edward scissorhands
-ed wood
-alice in wonderland

I might be missing something more...can't recall

I am trying to imagine a film adaptation like this...hmm..

Oniya

This is what IMDB came up with:

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010)
   2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
      ...aka Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience (2005) (USA: IMAX version)
   3. Corpse Bride (2005)
      ...aka Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005) (Singapore: English title) (USA: complete title)
   4. Dark Shadows (2011)  * :o *
   5. Ed Wood (1994)
   6. Edward Scissorhands (1990)
   7. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
      ...aka Sleepy Hollow (1999) (Germany)
      ...aka Sleepy Hollow - Köpfe werden rollen (2000) (Germany: TV title)
   8. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
      ...aka Sweeney Todd (2007) (USA: short title)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Indigo

Quote from: Oniya on June 25, 2009, 02:07:29 PM
This is what IMDB came up with:

4. Dark Shadows (2011)  * :o *

**BOING!!** 

O   M   G

B-Buh-Buh-Barnabas himself?    Teehee!

edit- and how thehell could I forget Sweeny Todd, doh

Phobetor

Wait...correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland was not going to be exactly from the book but more like a futuristic version. More along the lines of "Alice going back after a few years"? Which if it is...then I think it gives Tim Burton such a wide space to work with!!!

Also on Willy Wonka, I know Tim Burton wanted to depict the movie as it was originally intended to be, a Dark twisted tale. I think Depp did really good in it. A bit psychotic which I truly think its what Tim Burton wanted.

Anyway...=) I can't wait to see Depp as the Madd Hatter!
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Oniya

That's correct on Alice - which I think puts it into the realm of McGee's 'Alice'  (I could be wrong on this, and please correct me.) 

I'm actually kind of fond of dystopian Alice in Wonderlands, but I have to disagree with anyone who says that Gene Wilder's Wonka was all sweetness and light.  The boat ride is listed among the Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments, and as each child falls victim to their own vices, he seems to anticipate it very, very calmly.  Ever notice that the modes of transportation have exactly as many seats as needed?

Trieste

Gene Wilder's Wonka was so wonderful. I try not to compare the two, because if I do, Depp does not measure up.

Quote from: consortium11 on June 24, 2009, 12:32:41 PM
Honestly?

x2. I am bored with Johnny Depp, and hoping Alice reignites the passion I felt for him circa Nightmare.