You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 10:36:22 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]  (Read 258199 times)

Offline SabbyTopic starter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1600 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »
Fear is great if all ya wanna do is shoot some people. The bullet time is pretty nice, especially when used with grenades. The story is definitely creepy, but it could have been handled a little better.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1601 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
Well, I'm sort of looking for something horror-ish right now. I was debating getting Clive Barker's Jericho, despite the reviews being pretty lukewarm. But then I came across FEAR 2, and I've already considered it once, so ... yeah.

The one thing I'm really curious about is whether it's the type of game that's actually creepy, or if it just relies on having things jump out of dark corners. I remember Doom 3 being a lot like that. It got old so fast that before the demo was over, monsters jumping out of dark places didn't even make me jump anymore.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1602 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »
Someone around here made comment about a game called Amnesia, the Dark Descent.  Supposedly very scary.

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #1603 on: November 17, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
just got fable 3! :D Can't to try it out!

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1604 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:21 PM »
Someone around here made comment about a game called Amnesia, the Dark Descent.  Supposedly very scary.

I've mentioned it around here. I tried it. It's too scary.

It sounds great and ... well, I tried the demo and it I'd love to play it, but man! It's not enough that the atmosphere is creepy as can be, but the main character is constantly whimpering, occasionally curls up and cowers for no reason, his vision sways ... all without anything really going on, except for being in a creepy dark castle. And that's before you even run into any monsters. Monsters that will, in true Lovecraftian fashion, drive you insane just by looking at them.

« Reply #1605 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »
Fear 2 isn't genuinely scary, but the plot itself is messed up. If a naked emaciated woman killing soldiers with mind fuckery in a dark blood drenched hospital is your idea of 'messed up', definitely get it.

Offline BenIgna

• A Man with a somewhat twisted muse. :D
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • In youth we learn. In age we understand.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1606 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:16 AM »
Playing old games, "Heavenly Sword" and "Prince of Persia - Forgotten Sands"

« Reply #1607 on: November 18, 2010, 02:58:01 AM »
Those aren't old games, they are bastardized recent imitations of older, actually good games xD

Offline BenIgna

• A Man with a somewhat twisted muse. :D
  • Lord
  • Seducer
  • In youth we learn. In age we understand.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1608 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:53 AM »
That could be true, I prefer H.s. though. Pop - Forgotten Sands is a little clanky.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1609 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »
Fear 2 isn't genuinely scary, but the plot itself is messed up. If a naked emaciated woman killing soldiers with mind fuckery in a dark blood drenched hospital is your idea of 'messed up', definitely get it.

I do like the sound of that, actually.

And Sabby, you have got to be the most bitter gamer of all time. When was the last time you played a modern game you actually liked? xD

Edit: I was gonna get FEAR 2, but as I was about to search for it on Steam, something caught my eye ... I hit back to see what it was, and ... I don't believe it! Out of fucking nowhere, the Witcher 2! Holy balls, I loved the Witcher!

Edit 2: *relieved sigh.* They just got the release date wrong. It says November 2010, but it doesn't actually release this month, so I can still get FEAR2. Woo?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:28:11 PM by Hemingway »

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1610 on: November 18, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
I might get Witcher 2 if it comes out for console which they're saying it will. I'm no longer PC gaming. It's a sinking platform in my opinion, and honestly not because of it's gaming ability. Other factors.

Got Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It is awesome. Kill streak for the win!

EDIT: Hemmingway. Get Dead Space if you want scary. That game scares me every time and I've played it like ten times.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:23:59 PM by Inkidu »

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1611 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
My brother warned me about Dead Space. I think I'll pass.

You may have a point about computers, which is a sad, sad thing. Computers being far superior to consoles in virtually all ways. Controls? Graphics? Upgrade potential? Versatility? Better in every way!

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1612 on: November 18, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »
My brother warned me about Dead Space. I think I'll pass.

You may have a point about computers, which is a sad, sad thing. Computers being far superior to consoles in virtually all ways. Controls? Graphics? Upgrade potential? Versatility? Better in every way!
I can't give them controls or graphics. I honestly do not notice the gap in the current gen and PC. People try to point it out but I don't see it. Controls. I like console. Because of so few buttons and combo's available it makes them take a minimalist-perfectionist approach, plus consoles have rumble. That's the winner.

Sorry PC, you're just not returnable. Consoles are as close to idiot proof as possible.

Anyone else notice a ramp up in the general difficulty of AC: Brotherhood?

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1613 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
Ugh. While downloading FEAR2, I'm playing Alpha Protocol. Problem is, I feel like playing a Jack Bauer-type character, only I'd like to finish Recruit first so I can unlock the Veteran thing. Which means I have to finish the game before starting a new one, and that never works out well for me.

Offline Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1614 on: November 18, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Ugh. While downloading FEAR2, I'm playing Alpha Protocol. Problem is, I feel like playing a Jack Bauer-type character, only I'd like to finish Recruit first so I can unlock the Veteran thing. Which means I have to finish the game before starting a new one, and that never works out well for me.
Look when they push back a game for about a year, forget to tell anyone, and when it actually comes out it still reviews poorly. That's the Goddess of Gaming herself telling you it's going to disappoint.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1615 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »
Look when they push back a game for about a year, forget to tell anyone, and when it actually comes out it still reviews poorly. That's the Goddess of Gaming herself telling you it's going to disappoint.

... Which one are you talking about now?

Oooh, Steam finished downloading FEAR, and it's only 2 AM. I guess it's lights off and ... well.

Oh, God. Alma jumping at me in the first minute of gameplay. This isn't going to end well for me.

Edit: And as if creepy shimmering and moving blurs in a dark/red-lit room wasn't enough, the room somehow makes my flashlight flutter. I am not going to survive this!

Edit: I think this guy learned his lesson in how not to get the drop on me. Kicking down a door and shouting is a sure way of getting shot. I didn't even have time to check who it was before blowing his head full of lead. ... so I guess he didn't really learn a lesson, because he's dead.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:43:01 PM by Hemingway »

« Reply #1616 on: November 18, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
Oh, I'm not bitter ^^' It's just easier to rant then it is to praise. I actually enjoy more games then I hate :) Just when something does irk me, it gets expressed a lot more.

Glad your liking Fear 2. My favourite gun has gotta be that spike launcher. I remember hitting some in the ass with it as they ran away in slow motion, and they got pinned against the wall with a big spike driven up his asshole xD.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1617 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »
Well, I can relate to that.

And I am enjoying it. It's scary as all hell [ occasionally ], but mostly it's more like mind-fuck [ literally ; D ] ( I know how the game ends! ) than actual fear most of the time. I imagine myself in that situation, giggling and going, "I'm seeing things ... I hope!"

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1618 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »
Anyone have AC: Brotherhood? I think I'll get it tommorow, but I'm not sure. D:

« Reply #1619 on: November 18, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »
It was like BULLET TIME FLYING PELVIC THRUST!

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1620 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Why are these guys wearing exposed oxygen tanks on their backs? I mean, I get it, it's probably there for a reason, but you'd think they'd at least slap some armor on their pressurized oxygen. I mean, don't they know what happens if that think ruptures? Come on! Stupid evil henchmen!

Offline DudelRok

« Reply #1621 on: November 19, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »
Phantom Crash

If you've got an original Xbox, find and play this!!!!

Offline Hellion000

« Reply #1622 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »
Tron 2.0
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War Dark Crusade/ Soul Storm
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

In the line up is:

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II Rise of Chaos
Bioshock (take 4. I keep glitching out half way through and having to start over).

Offline Brandon

« Reply #1623 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Playing AC Brotherhood right now. Its a little disappointing so far. I never played the original AC, just the second one and I liked it a lot. However brotherhood doesnt seem like much more then an expansion pack to the 2nd game. I might just still be early in the game but so far Im not impressed for a full price game. If it had been $20-30 I wouldnt mind so much, in fact I would be fine with paying that price for the game, but right now it seems very overpriced

Offline Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1624 on: November 20, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »
It gets much better. There are a lot of little touches in it though, it's really hard to see the subtle differences. However, hidden blading a guy on horseback never gets old.