You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 05:08:02 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]  (Read 258631 times)

Offline Brandon

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1575 on: November 13, 2010, 11:48:49 PM »
As in actual american civil war, not some kooky alternate history like Damnation or such right? If so I dont recall that game, at all.

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1576 on: November 14, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
Problem with that is it would be impossible to make into a game that would be even remotely popular. The style of warfare just doesn't work in games. And if you don't use that style of warfare, but let people run around in little deathmatch fights, it'd just devolve into people running around and stabbing each other or shooting at point blank range, rather than using their shoddy ranged weapons.

Having said that, I obviously forgot about the old west. It could be really awesome, if done properly. Shame that's so rare. Don't get me started on how much Red Dead Redemption sucked. The original Call of Juarez was pretty original and awesome, with the sequel being slightly less original, and definitely lacking in some areas, but still definitely a good game. The biggest problem as I see it would be that despite being a western game, it'd still play like a modern one.

Not that CoD wouldn't be fun in an old west setting. Killstreak? Covered wagon with gatling gun! Off-map cannons! Cavalry charge!

Offline Tonalberry

• Hey There Little Red Riding Hood, You sure Are Looking Good
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Patron Saint of Lazy Bastards
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1577 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »
As in actual american civil war, not some kooky alternate history like Damnation or such right? If so I dont recall that game, at all.

No, there was a game, for the 360 I believe, about some of the 'great' battles of the Civil War, I think.  I can't remember what it was called, but yeah, apparently it sucked.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #1578 on: November 14, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
No, there was a game, for the 360 I believe, about some of the 'great' battles of the Civil War, I think.  I can't remember what it was called, but yeah, apparently it sucked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_video_games

Apparently, they did several.  I'd probably approach any such game as a tactical/strategy game, rather than the FPS style.

Offline Brandon

« Reply #1579 on: November 14, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_video_games

Apparently, they did several.  I'd probably approach any such game as a tactical/strategy game, rather than the FPS style.

*looks through the list* Am I the only one that thinks Call of Jaurez: Bound in blood (a western style fps) doesnt really belong in there?

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1580 on: November 14, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »
*looks through the list* Am I the only one that thinks Call of Jaurez: Bound in blood (a western style fps) doesnt really belong in there?

Well, the intro did take place during the Civil War.

Offline SabbyTopic starter

« Reply #1581 on: November 14, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
Dude, the South are one of the antagonists >.> trying to start up the war again before it's even cooled off. I think that qualifies.

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #1582 on: November 14, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »
Lair of the Shadow broker for Mass Effect 2. This is really awesome. If anyone here is a fan of the Mass Effect saga and have not gotten this I jighly recommend it.

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1583 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
Yeah I'm probably getting Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood tomorrow. It actually makes you care about stealth... sometimes.

Offline 01lwilliams

« Reply #1584 on: November 15, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »

Regarding all the talk about Civil War games:

For the PC try and get - Sid Meier's Gettysberg.

Can't go wrong with Sid!

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1585 on: November 15, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »
So..you guys think Perfect World is Worth getting into? As a free MMO, I hear that it's not too bad...

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #1586 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:07 PM »
Hmm... Never herd of it. What do you do in it?

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1587 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:50 PM »
Hmm... Never herd of it. What do you do in it?

Well..it's a free to play MMO. xD

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #1588 on: November 15, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
What kind of MMO? lol! there are tons of different kinds of free MMOs out there. What is the setting and why is this so special? Or is it another generic DnD style fantasy MMO?

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1589 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »
Fantasy MMO based on Chinese Mythology. :P

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1590 on: November 16, 2010, 08:33:47 AM »
Chinese Mythology is certainly a different concept.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1591 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
Indeed. I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I should bother..:P Apparently there's no one on E that plays it. xD

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1592 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
Since it's free, you could always try it out and then write something sell the MMO players here on it.  If it turns out it sucks, all you've wasted is a bit of time.  ('It's free' usually isn't a sufficient reason for most people.  I can get all the horse manure I want for free, up near the hitching post.  Doesn't mean it's worth the effort.)

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #1593 on: November 16, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Umm? Anyone here play League of Legends? I just downloaded it. Since wre on the subject of free MMOs

Online Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1594 on: November 16, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
What kind of MMO? lol! there are tons of different kinds of free MMOs out there. What is the setting and why is this so special? Or is it another generic DnD style fantasy MMO?
Actually they're all the same really. It just depends on what varnish you want slathered on top. Even pay to play ones. They're just more of the same but "deeper".

Got tired of FF XIV, Wolfy? I've heard people use a phrase that rhymes with fluster duck when talking about it.

Offline cirdanf

« Reply #1595 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
Inkidu, League of Legends is not a "MMORPG", it's a dota style strategy game. Think Age of Empires.

Offline Wolfy

« Reply #1596 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
Actually they're all the same really. It just depends on what varnish you want slathered on top. Even pay to play ones. They're just more of the same but "deeper".

Got tired of FF XIV, Wolfy? I've heard people use a phrase that rhymes with fluster duck when talking about it.

Nopes..I like it. :D

Offline Hemingway

« Reply #1597 on: November 17, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
I'm curious to know if anyone here has played FEAR 2. I've tried the demo, and wasn't particularly impressed, but I consider getting it for the sake of, well, the story, I guess? It seems interesting enough for a cheap game.

Offline Brandon

« Reply #1598 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »
Ive played all the FEAR games including the various expansion packs. They really arent that great IMO. As cool as the story sounds when you first start it it gets rather cliche very quickly

Offline Rapsodi

« Reply #1599 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
Angry Birds...lots, and LOTS of Angry Birds. I know it's not a console game but I am not home much because of school. So my iphone is my gaming system. :)