Ok, this started out as kittenchan's idea, but ran into issues with her RL time. So, with her permission, I've grabbed the idea and run with it. So, here's the basic outline and quick write-up:
Premise -- There are three nations within the important part of our target continent. To the east is a very religious and fairly technologically developed kingdom. To the west is their greatest rival, a magocratic kingdom ruled by in-bred nobles. Between them: a forest, a sea, and an island barony that acts as a neutral meeting ground for negotiations and such.
- Capital: Mintand
- Eastern kingdom focused on technological development and religion
--- Printing press, excellent steel (no gunpowder, yet)
- Multiple kings with a High King elected from among their number (usually hereditary)
- Capital: Tavolesra
- Western kingdom focused on magic
- Magocratic monarchy; “evil”
--- Common to marry cousins and siblings among the nobility; inbreeding common
- Capital: Trakun, City of Canals
- Island nation in the Inner Sea
- Technically a barony
- Living as traders, pirates, and neutral territory between Valeria and Akand
Between Valeria and Akand
- The Inner Sea (home of Trakun), average ship can cross the Sea in two or three days; about a day from either mainland to Trakun
- Cirian Forest, along the northern shore of the Sea, unclaimed wilderness territory bordering both lands
- Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings; half-breeds of all are possible.
- stick to basics with all four, I don't see a need for "sub-races", at least for the time being
- obviously priests hold a lot of clout in Valeria, not so much in Akand
- pantheons in all cases (figure shared pantheon between the nations); open for creation as necessary
- I'd prefer that divine spellcasting not exist, but am open to discussion on that point.
- Valeria: High King, royal court, diplomats, warriors, spies, etc.
- Akand: King/Queen (mage on both), royal court, diplomats, warriors, spies, etc.
- Trakun: Baron, court, captains, diplomats, spies, merchants, etc.
As far as character notes go, the rulers and members of the three courts would have some burden of plot creation, based on their character motivations, of course. I'd see my moderating role as filling in major NPCs, ensuring that OOC disputes remain civil, and ensuring that uber-characters aren't included.
Thus, a few simple rules:
1) No god-moding - e.g. posting the actions/thoughts of another player's character; posting for mooks or red shirts (nameless or otherwise expendable NPCs) is fine.
2) No powergaming (a.k.a. munchkining) - i.e. no god characters, no 24 yr. olds who've held every job in creation, etc. Every character has at least one weakness.
3) Run all characters by the Mod for approval before posting.
4) No limit to the number of players, although it would be a good idea to limit to a max of 3 characters per player for the time being.
Any interest? I hope there's some since kittenchan's original idea had a fair amount before implosion. :)