You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.
October 21, 2016, 01:35:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Neroon

• Sneaky Little Weasel
  • Oracle
  • Addict
  • Beware of geeks bearing gifs
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
Just to throw my tuppence in here, I'd say that the judges, in my mind, didn't help the thing be fairer or more like test of which song is best at all.  I'd say that it's incredibly patronising to the populations of each country to suggest they can't pick a good song and instead need a panel of judges to help them.  Certainly, there was no transparency in the use of the judges, and if I were going to devise a system to make it easy to fiddle, it's pretty much the system I'd come up with.

Indeed, overall, I have to say the whole voting system is unfair and patronising. This thing about only being allowed to vote in the semi-final most in tune with the nation's culture is patronising at best.  And then the whole points system is inherently unfair.  Why should the vote from someone from Andorra (population 89,000) be worth approximately 1600 times more than that of someone from Russia (population 142,008,000) in terms of its effect on the final outcome?  What message does the fact that the UK, Germany and France are automatically in the final give about the European ideal?

If I were setting it up from scratch, I'd scrap the system that you can buy a place in the final, scrap the points from each country system and have a simple phone vote (with the current prevention of voting for one's own country remaining) and allow everyone to vote in both semifinals.  It won't solve the whole "Country X always gives its votes to country Y" thing, indeed, it might exacerbate such things but it would be democratic.

Offline Ridcully

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 04:14:39 AM »

And today it's time again for the Eurovision Song Contest (Does anyone else miss the name "Grand Prix d'Eurovision de la chanson?).

Germany throws in Lena (Meyer-Landruth), a 19 year old girl from Hannover, who's been elected over a series of shows by the German audience (think of "American Idol").

Live on stage, Lena is much better than in this - in my opinion rather uninspired - music video.

The song she sings was also chosen by the audience, it is called Satellite.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Anyone else gonna watch it? I'm always game for it.

Offline Ridcully

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
And hell, if even no one cares here:

We won!

120 Million viewers! And in the end, Lena won for Germany!!!

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
Gratz with that... Good winner....

Offline Heaven Sent Blossom

• Evil snake cult leader, now with kung-fu grip action!
  • Lord
  • Bacchae
  • Location: Hiding in your bin like a messed up Oscar the Grouch
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
Given that Eurovision is a ludicrous joke (in the best possible way) and I totally forgot about it this year because Wogan no longer commentates on it,  I only need to know one thing - was there anything as awesome this year as Latvia's "Wolves of the Sea" from 2008?