News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Celestia: Do the universe from the safety of your comfy desktop

Started by The Overlord, May 12, 2009, 06:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Warning: Image intensive thread =)

Sometimes the coolest stuff on the web is the free stuff, and I've yet to beat this one.

Celestia

http://www.shatters.net/celestia

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net

Some of my own screens with Celestia-

Oniya

What was the 8th picture - it looked like a ringed planet with continents?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on May 12, 2009, 09:43:54 PM
What was the 8th picture - it looked like a ringed planet with continents?

It is. It’s supposed to be an inhabited terrestrial planet with a ring system. The Celestia Motherlode I linked has tons of add-ons for the program by numerous third party users, which I've installed many of.

Many are based on real astronomical objects, both in our star system and others, and some are based on the hypothetical appearance of known extraterrestrial planets. A good section is devoted to pure sci-fi: Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Space 1999, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and others.

The Orion's Arm and Arc Builder series are great for entire systems with beautifully developed planetary systems. Many of my posted screens come from them...plus a little Photoshopping in a few of them.

Oniya

Nice!  I was thinking it was purely academic (which would be cool anyways) but this adds a whole new level of possibilities.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

I would say Celestia has a definite educational value. it also has no levels, no timers, no objectives; it's a totally freeform cosmic exploration tool. I've been using it for several years now...the first time I got on it, there were no lasers to shoot, no alien fleets to attack. Yet I spent four hours straight playing with it, hooked immediately. This one I recommend to anyone that even has a light interest in astronomy.