News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Virus, watch out

Started by pianoman7117, May 11, 2009, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianoman7117

I was sitting here doing some posting when someone from E! on my friends list IM'ed me with the following message:

"Nemesis says:
(Link removed due to the fact that someone would be stupid enough to click on it...) ?!?

... HAHAHA!!  :P"

Luckily, a virus similar to this had ran through an online game I am on. Basically everyone caught it because everyone was on each others contacts list. What it basically does, is when you have it and sign onto MSN, (I've only seen it on MSN, might affect others as well.) it sends a message to everyone on your contact list, that contains a link, to what appears to be an image, when you click the link, it prompts you to download a "picture" and thats how you catch it, It got pretty brutal last time because it became an epidemic in which everyone on the game had it. I just felt the need to warn people to watch out and not to click any links unless you are SURE the person isn't a virus. (btw to be more specific since I took out the link, the domain name was something like picsnapz, or something weird like that)

Oniya

One way that you can pass on the information about a virus site without making it 'way too easy' for someone to accidentally click on it is to replace the t's in http with x's (i.e hxxp://www.thisisavirus.com)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xillen

There are numerous MSN worms like that, though most of them only spread themselves without causing a lot of harm.

MSN itself is really vulnerable like that. You're already a lot more secure if you run an alternative client like Pdigin or Trillian. However, these programs still communicate over the same ports, and most smarter worms work with these clients just as well.

The best thing is to simply don't click links that are tossed at you spontaneously (or even better, no links at all).

Trieste

Yeah, if someone starts out with a link to me in a window, I usually ask "What's that?" first. If they reply with confusion, I know I'm onto something.