You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 04:13:03 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Virus, watch out  (Read 413 times)

Offline pianoman7117Topic starter

Virus, watch out
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
I was sitting here doing some posting when someone from E! on my friends list IM'ed me with the following message:

"Nemesis says:
 (Link removed due to the fact that someone would be stupid enough to click on it...) ?!?

... HAHAHA!!  :P"

Luckily, a virus similar to this had ran through an online game I am on. Basically everyone caught it because everyone was on each others contacts list. What it basically does, is when you have it and sign onto MSN, (I've only seen it on MSN, might affect others as well.) it sends a message to everyone on your contact list, that contains a link, to what appears to be an image, when you click the link, it prompts you to download a "picture" and thats how you catch it, It got pretty brutal last time because it became an epidemic in which everyone on the game had it. I just felt the need to warn people to watch out and not to click any links unless you are SURE the person isn't a virus. (btw to be more specific since I took out the link, the domain name was something like picsnapz, or something weird like that)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:32:04 PM by pianoman7117 »

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Virus, watch out
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
One way that you can pass on the information about a virus site without making it 'way too easy' for someone to accidentally click on it is to replace the t's in http with x's (i.e hxxp://www.thisisavirus.com)

Offline Xillen

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:19 AM »
There are numerous MSN worms like that, though most of them only spread themselves without causing a lot of harm.

MSN itself is really vulnerable like that. You're already a lot more secure if you run an alternative client like Pdigin or Trillian. However, these programs still communicate over the same ports, and most smarter worms work with these clients just as well.

The best thing is to simply don't click links that are tossed at you spontaneously (or even better, no links at all).

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:22:33 AM »
Yeah, if someone starts out with a link to me in a window, I usually ask "What's that?" first. If they reply with confusion, I know I'm onto something.