You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 03, 2016, 07:49:19 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Pandora - Very cool music site.  (Read 771 times)

Offline crystaltearsTopic starter

Pandora - Very cool music site.
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
Okay... So I am generally a very... cheap person. Don't do things unless they are free... My solution to have songs on demand without paying is a folder among my bookmarks dedicated solely to that.... But now I've found this little beauty:

Pandora

It's.. very interesting. You type in a song or group and they make a 'station' dedicated to similar music. No commercials (vocal anyway) and registration to save your 'stations' is free. You can often find the lyrics of the songs, and you can tell them if you do or don't like the songs they're playing in association with the group or song you started with.

Works great for me, but I imagine there will be people who dislike it too. Nothing works for everyone. Still, some of you might like it as much as I do so I'm sharing the little thing my friend shared with me with the rest of you. ^^ Enjoy, I hope.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Pandora - Very cool music site.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
Thank you! I love this thing! I get all the music no one listens to anymore! Ha!

Offline Le RandomBloke

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.

We believe that you are in Belgium

RAGE!

Just wait 'till I get on my actual computer. I'll proxy the heck out of it.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.

RAGE!

Sorry Bloke.

Offline Trieste

• Faerie Queen; Her Imperial Lubemajesty; Willing Victim
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: In the middle of Happily Ever After with a dark Prince Charming.
  • I am many things - dull is not one of them.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Pandora is wonderful. I have like 3 main stations that I listen to (I've spent months perfecting them) and I've also spent a lot of time hunting up others' shared stations. I found this one study station that is fantastic for throwing on the earbuds in the library.

And ... jeez, Bloke, the internet hates Belgium.

Offline Inkidu

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »
Pandora is wonderful. I have like 3 main stations that I listen to (I've spent months perfecting them) and I've also spent a lot of time hunting up others' shared stations. I found this one study station that is fantastic for throwing on the earbuds in the library.

And ... jeez, Bloke, the internet hates Belgium.
I know and the waffles are awesome. Poor Belgium. :(

Offline crystaltearsTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
Quote from: RandomBloke
Insert Quote

RAGE!

Ooh, that sucks. Hope you get it working though.

Inkidu, I'm glad you like it too. I always try to share cool things when I happen across them (a co-worker showed me this one).

Trieste, I haven't found any shared ones I plug into yet, still learning the ropes on that site. ^^

Offline Lady Annabelle

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
So, a little over two years ago, I started my job.  My very first day, I am sitting in my boss' office as we have the normal talk of what is expected of me and what the job all entails too.  His office is freezing, so I am doing my best not to shake in my little skirt and blouse as I listen to him go on and on.  Nodding my head to his words and trying not to think about inappropriate thoughts, I begin to hear music coming from somewhere.  Looking at one of his three monitors, I see a small window that has Pandora playing some beautiful music.

Ever since that day, I have been hooked to it.  I have listened to Pandora everyday at work for close to 8 hours.  It is a permanent fixture at the bottom of my second monitor.  My station has a couple of hundred 'thumbs up' songs and so many more 'thumbs down.'  If it wasn't for Pandora, I don't think I could have survived.  My boss saw that I was listening to Pandora and we talk about how great it is.  So, not only can I listen to it all day at work, but I got the approval from my boss.

Thank you Pandora.  You are greatness.   ;D

*Coughs and sings quietly the song that is currently playing.*  "So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.  Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?  A smile from a veil?  Do you think you can tell?"

Offline tesseractive

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
I like Pandora quite a bit. Though, honestly, I thought Launchcast (once its own thing on launch.com, then part of Yahoo, now gone, I think) was smarter about giving you music you would like.

On the same subject, if you can afford a monthly fee ($10 and up) and you like non-major-label music, Emusic is really, really cool.

Offline Avis habilis

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
I like Pandora a lot, but I also use Last.FM. It has a much better selection of certain genres of music (just try & find French rap, raļ or Scandinavian folk on Pandora). Where else are you going to find something like "Shamanic Prayer for Richard Feynman" ([noembed]http://www.last.fm/music/Kongar-ool+Ondar/_/Shamanic+Prayer+for+Richard+Feynman[/noembed])? Nowhere, that's where!

Offline Caeli

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
I tried Pandora, once upon a long time ago, but... just never really got into it? I probably should, since I really have trouble identifying with people who talk about 'popular' music, and I've never even heard the song before. xD Or know who the heck they're talking about.

Personally, I really, really love StumbleAudio - it suits my random nature, and has the same thumbsup-thumbsdown feature. It was actually how I discovered Mission19... I love the band's sound so much, I hunted around on eBay until I found their most recent CD, Five Days From Home, and bought it.

Offline Ordell

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
I personally think Pandora is amazing.  I take it with me everywhere I go thanks to the Pandora iPhone app.  Who needs satellite radio when Pandora does all the good work for you without any commercials whatsoever!

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »
Really enjoying this.  My tastes are eclectic, and today happens to be a Dennis DeYoung kind of day.  While only the first song was DDY, the other songs have all gotten a thumbs-up from me.