You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 02:51:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Interest Check: Dollhouse  (Read 1230 times)

Offline RhapsodyTopic starter

Interest Check: Dollhouse
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
      A very tentative prod in the community's direction to see how much interest there is in a Dollhouse RP, based on the show by Whedon.  Set in either the particular branch of the Dollhouse on the show, or in another one somewhere else in the world.  Canon characters or originals, mind-wiped actives ready to be imprinted with custom-tailored personalities or their handlers and other miscellaneous employees who make the operation work, doesn't matter. It would end up being based on whatever the interest dictates, after all.

Edited to add:  Further Information

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Dolls are people whose personalities and existence in the outside world have been wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments (referred to as engagements). The new persona is an amalgam of several real people, and the end result necessarily incorporates both strengths and flaws from the template personalities. The Actives are then hired out for particular jobs – crimes, fantasies, and the occasional good deed. On engagements, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between engagements they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The Dollhouse is located somewhere in Los Angeles and is a subsidiary of a mysterious research group known as the Rossum Corporation.

Edited again: Further information

Having thought about this topic a bit more today, and found a bit more cohesion.  In bullet points, because bullet points are fun!

Actives/Dolls
  • Are usually volunteers, who sign five years of their lives over to the Dollhouse, usually to escape the consequences or trauma of something in their past
  • Can come from any walk of life: student activist, grieving mother, hardened criminal, etc
  • Are named according to the phonetic alphabet: Echo, Alpha, Sierra, Victor, November, etc
  • Are mind-wiped using bleeding-edge technology and exist in a pure, child-like state until they're imprinted with another personality
  • Are always imprinted, even in their childlike state, with implicit trust in their handler, who oversees their safety and engagment parameters, who use a code phrase to extract them (involving the word "treatment")
  • Can begin to become self-aware, even though the wiping technology is fairly thorough, remembering bits and pieces of previous engagements, like a move they learned, or a place they've been
  • If too severely damaged, deranged, or otherwise, they can be moved to a special place in the Dollhouse known only as the Attic.  Rarely seen again.

The Dollhouse
  • Is an urban myth in the public mindset, with opinions ranging from "well, they help people" to "human trafficking is digusting"
  • Extremely high-tech, but kept simplistic and relaxing for the benefit Actives in public areas
  • Despite the volunteer status of the Actives, the Dollhouse is a highly illegal operation, and they are often vigilant against investigations by the NSA, FBI and other official agencies.

Staff
    • Employed to keep the Dolls in tiptop shape, to prepare them for engagements and to protect them should the need arise.
    • Positions range from anything from chef, yoga instructor, lifeguard/swimming instructor, security staff, handlers, technicians, administrative staff, etc

Clients
    • Clients are thoroughly investigated prior to each engagement, to assess the risk factor for the Active as well as to better tailor the requested personality or fantasy for the individual
    • Must be very wealthy, as the services of the Dollhouse do not come cheap

Engagements
    • Custom-tailored based on the client's particular fantasy or need
    • Range from "Lonely Hearts" (romantic fantasies) to undercover missions (assassinations, espionage, etc) to altruistic engagements (like midwifery etc)

Outsiders
      • Scrutiny from outside forces is always a risk, despite the Dollhouse's caution and preventative measures.  Government agents trying to expose the Dollhouse, while not really common, aren't all that unheard of, and other organizations might be just as interested in the Dollhouse
    Any and all of these broad categories are available, from staff to clients to outsiders to Actives themselves.  If you'd like to play in this type of game, please respond either in this thread or a PM with what your character preference would be. 
[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:52:01 PM by Rhapsody »

Offline roleplayinggrl18

Re: Interest Check: Dollhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »
oooo, that could be fun, color me interested.

Offline kitten

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »
Interested  :D

Offline Diabolus Lupus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Love the show, wouldn't mind doing an RP based on it. :D

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:09 PM »
Updated initial post.

Offline CurvyKitten

• Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.
  • Sex is a part of nature. I go along with nature.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
I am very intrested.

Offline Craz

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:37:21 AM »
Definitely would be interested. :) All hail the Whedon-god.

Offline purpleartemis00

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »
Am very interested!!

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
I as well would be interested!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »
Does anyone have any idea of what they'd like to play in this (Actives, clients, staff, etc)? 

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »
I would have no issue with either the client or the active

Offline CurvyKitten

• Dame
  • Addict
  • Location: Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.
  • Sex is a part of nature. I go along with nature.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 01:38:54 PM »
I would like to play and active.

Offline Praxis

• Don't worry loves. The cavalry's here.
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • "Be a dissident. Who ain't kissin' it."
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
+1 right here.

Offline purpleartemis00

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »
I would definitely like to try being an active.

Offline Diabolus Lupus

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32:21 PM »
I'd like to play an active.

Offline The Dark Raven

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
I'd love to play a Doll.  Have an idea/backstory formulating already.

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
Okay!  Looks like there's enough interest that I feel comfortable enough starting up a Character/OOC thread.  I'll link it here when I'm done.

In the meantime, looking for more clients!

Offline Doktor Sleepless

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:08 PM »
Dammit, you got me! I want to be the Topher of this Dollhouse!

Offline Craz

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
Ooh, I think I want to play one of the FBI guys.

Offline tonycraig0555

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 01:12:54 AM »
I'd be interested in playing either a client or one of the staff members.

Offline purpleartemis00

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »
Hope this gets up before interest wanes.

D'ya need any help?

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
I'm working on the main setting thread as I can.  Life's been a bit busy this week, that's all. :)  I should have it up this weekend.  I'm aiming for later tonight, early tomorrow, but Sunday at the latest.

Offline kylie

• Bratty Princess of Twisty, Creeping Secrets. Frilly | Fussy | Framed | Dreamy | Glam | Risky | Sporty | Rapt | Tease | Ironic | Shadowed | Struggling | Whispery | Bespelled
  • Liege
  • Enchanter
  • Darkly sweet femme for rich & insidious scenarios.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 06:31:06 AM »
Places bets that interest will not wane too soon.  This seems to be a particularly popular theme, lately.

*Ponders, are there too many females yet?*
 An FBI agent, sooner or later catches on too much and is transformed into a doll?  Winks.

Offline Doktor Sleepless

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
I should write up my char... am I good to be the tech?

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
Character thread is available.  Post away, my pretties. :)

http://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=35439.0