SCOTUS Opinion Leaks, Suggests Roe v. Wade will be Overturned

Started by CopperLily, May 02, 2022, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regina Minx

In reporting on abortions after the end of Roe v. Wade, one source on the record will often be the best we can get. Obviously, reporters and editors must make sure that their reporting is accurate and true. But those who believe that the end of legal abortion in many states is newsworthy will need to figure out how to report and publish these stories with a few more constraints than they’d prefer. If performing or receiving an abortion now counts as activism, well, then journalists will need to be okay quoting “activists,” unless they only want to tell the anti-abortion movement’s side.

Abortion stories were never the sort of thing that normal people wanted to be splashed on the newspaper’s society page. They were private, quiet affairs, necessary but nothing to be proud of. And now that it’s being criminalized in laws of dubious reach and meaning, the incentive to keep it quiet is far stronger. So it’s very likely that many valuable stories will stay under wraps, or lack the details and sourcing a good reporter would want or an editor would demand.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Oniya on July 15, 2022, 12:53:09 AM
And now we hear that the Indiana AG is talking about prosecuting.... the doctor who performed the procedure.

These type of people are the real monsters. Who forces a baby to have a baby. Who forces a little girl who's father was supposed to protect her to have his baby. These men don't understand the burden it is to carry a child to term. It's hard enough on full grown women to carry children let alone a 10-year-old girl. Oh, these people make me so angry. Like what if that was his little girl.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Oniya on July 15, 2022, 12:53:09 AM
And now we hear that the Indiana AG is talking about prosecuting.... the doctor who performed the procedure.
I hope that the lawyer of the doctor would follow up on his threat to sue the AG for defamation 8-).

Also, I'm just glad they're prosecuting the father. If he's guilty, he deserves everything that the law&prison system have in store for him.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Oniya

The Ohio courts are responsible for prosecuting the rapist, whoever he may be - and that's where the incident was properly reported.  Indiana's AG should just sit down and not utter anything more than an apology to the doctor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Twisted Crow

I think the very idea of forcing a ten year child carry a baby to term (or even to suggest that) should be considered as grounds for pro-child abuse. With this case, it's really hard to not look at Republican lawmakers as anything but child abusers. It doesn't surprise me, either, that jackholes like Tucker Carlson and many others in right-wing media were trying to bury this as 'fake news!' only for the truth to bleed through the curtain. It's fucking disgusting and immoral.