You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

March 01, 2021, 07:23:35 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 136 times)

Offline Chijimi PTopic starter

Introduction
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:04:53 pm »
   Required Questions:
These questions must be answered to start your application

1.    Tell us how you found us, please? A link from another site, another member, a search engine phrase, etcetera.

I was asking if anyone knew of a “literate roleplay forum or group for adults” on a Discord server I frequent and someone mentioned Elliquiy, so here I am!

2.    Confirmation that you understand our rules. You are responsible for bringing up any questions if you do not understand our rules, so please note any on which you need clarification here.

I understand and agree to the rules.

3.    A confirmation that you are over eighteen (18) years of age. You don't need to give your birth date, however we do need a clear statement that you are of age.

I’m just a little over 18 (I’ll be turning 30 in a few months here).

4.    Your native language(s) and what region you are from. List your primary language first and include all others in order of fluency. Elliquiy is an English speaking community but it is also a global one.  We welcome members from all over the world, and we love to know where our members hail from.

English is the only language I can speak with any degree of fluency and I’ve lived in the USA my whole life. Though, if it’s anywhere on the West Coast, I’ve probably lived there or near there at some point, but right now I’m living about as South as you can go before you enter Mexico.

5.    What are your reasons for joining Elliquiy, and what aspects of our community are you interested in? What do you look for in an on-line community in general, and a role-playing community specifically? Please be descriptive. Elliquiy isn’t just an adult roleplaying site: we have forums for storytelling, poetry, and art; places to socialize with other members; areas to discuss politics and religion; and so much more! You can check out our Preview of Elliquiy to get an idea of what you’ll see as an approved member.

So, I used to be super into online RP’s when I was younger but kind of lost interest in public forums as the years went on, though I would still occasionally RP with friends on Discord and I had a regular D&D group pre-COVID. I guess I’ve just been having a hankering for the ‘good old days’ and was trying to find an RP forum that caters to adults specifically because A. adults tend to be more literate and B. I wasn’t very comfortable with the idea of potentially RP’ing with kids even though I was only looking for SFW RP’s. Elliquiy seems like it’s right up my alley and even though I can’t see the rest of the site, I have it on good authority that it’s a great place to find people to RP with (I also can’t say that the idea of the more ‘adult’ aspect of this site isn’t appealing).

I mean, I haven’t been a part of an online forum for maybe 10-12 years so my expectations are a resounding ┐(´ー`)┌ . This is entirely nostalgia talking, but I do remember way back when and how fun it was to jump into a new community and RP’ing with strangers. Sure, not every RP was ‘good’ or even ‘fun’ but there was something kind of exciting about it, especially when people started to recognize you the more you posted/the longer you had been there. Nowadays, I’m more looking for something to just pass the time with and maybe help with writer's block, I don’t know if I’d have the time or energy to really get into the nitty-gritty of the community.

(It might be kind of silly, but I look fondly back on the days of Proboards RP forums and how tight-nit some of the communities were and talking to people from those forums on AIM. Sometimes I wonder if anyone else from the forums I was a part of, look back on those days just as fondly even though the websites themselves are long gone).

6.    Are you new to roleplaying? If so, would you like someone to help you get more involved? If not, please tell us a little about your past experiences. Regardless of your experience what are your expectations from a roleplay partner?

Well, look at me jumping the gun! I kind of already went into my history in the question above, but I guess I can say here that in no uncertain terms, I am grossly out of practice when it comes to RP’ing online with strangers. I’m not going to lie, it makes me a little nervous, but I think I can manage ha ha.

7.    Elliquiy consists of a wide array of sexualities, personalities, and enthusiasts of various kinks. How comfortable are you interacting in such a community?

Very comfortable! I love diverse communities!

8.    How do you feel about males writing as female characters or females writing as male characters? Please elaborate: do you do this yourself? Would you write with someone who is doing this? If you are transgender or intersex, feel free to adapt this question appropriately.

It’s fine to me either way. As I mentioned before, I had a D&D group I was apart of before COVID that consisted predominately of women and I would say half would play male characters while one of the two men almost always played a female character. My general rule of thumb is to always play a male character in a new group (to avoid any creepers and future problems). That said, I don’t mind playing male characters but playing a female character is usually my preference.

9.    Let us know about your pet peeves or other things that bother you. Fetishes you do not like, styles you cannot appreciate and attitudes that annoy you are all valid answers here.

I don’t want to come off as a killjoy or anything, but I like to keep to my RP’ing in the RP and I find the whole “ *glomps you* Hello, (username)! How’re you today!? XD *waves* ” thing off-putting (which might be hypocritical of me since I’m pretty liberal with the use of emojis). Otherwise, I can’t stand bigotry. Even if the person is nice to me or the best writer in the world, if they start saying sexually aggressive, racist, homophobic, misogynistic, transphobic, etc. stuff, then I no longer want to associate with them.

I don’t know if this is a widespread thing anymore (it sort of was back in the day), but I also don’t like what pretty much amounts to an interview when wanting to find an RP partner(s). I’m not talking about asking about preferences, schedules, styles, or experience, but sort of like—and I am definitely phrasing this poorly—they want to ask you a whole bunch of personal questions or need to ‘get to know (you) more’ before they can commit to an RP. Mind, I 100% acknowledge that this is just a me thing so I wouldn’t fault anyone for it, but I’m personally just looking for someone to write with. I’m not looking for a new friend or someone I share a deep personal connection with. If I make a friend, great, but it’s not my goal.

Optional Questions:

A.    Would you like to disclose your gender identity? We do not require our members to reveal their real gender. However, doing so determines your User Group, Badge, and some OOC Boards on Elliquiy. General membership will be processed as Legate - approved members who do not wish to disclose their gender identity, or feel gender is irrelevant. Approved members who have chosen to reveal their gender as a response to this question will be assigned: Lady (for those who identify as female), Liege (A supportive group for individuals who are intersex, do not identify with one singular gender, or who are transitioning), or Lord (for those who identify as male). A full explanation of Elliquiy’s User Group and Badge system can be found here.

I am a cis-gendered woman.

B.    What are some hobbies or activities you particularly enjoy? This can be anything you enjoy in your free time. For example: videogames, sports, cooking, crafts, traveling, reading, etcetera. As a large and diverse community, we often have social areas where our members can talk about their favorite things. Let us know what you like so we can better help you find boards, threads, or discussions that might interest you!

I write a lot, anywhere from fanfiction to original works, and post semi-regularly for a web novel series (which I won’t disclose here). I also draw, mostly fanart, and play video games. Someday I’d like to be a game developer if I could only finish a project @~@ .

C.    What would you do if a writing partner suddenly, and without prior discussion, included one of your major offs in your roleplay?

There is a possibility that I would immediately lose interest or suddenly no longer feel comfortable RP’ing with that person anymore, I’m only human, but I’d like to think that I would be confident enough to actually reach out to the individual and tell them. I wish I could give a less wishy-washy response, but I am entirely new to 18+ RP’ing so I really just don’t know.

D.    Please describe your writing style and preferences. Information such as preferred genre, writing perspective (first, second, or third-person perspective), setting, and post length are great answers.

I only write in the third person and would say that my post length really depends on who I’m writing with. Among my friends who I RP with on Discord, I have those where we only make 100-word posts and those where we make 1500+ word posts. However, I won’t force myself to write a lot if it doesn’t move the plot forward. I just really don’t enjoy being forced to write to a certain length and going on-and-on about how the sky is so blue in thirteen different ways to fill space.

For genres, I like pretty much anything except school or college settings (unless it’s like…A magic school or something, for example) and I tend to be bored with modern settings grounded in reality. I like to RP to explore things other than reality, but it’s not like I hate it with a passion and a good enough premise will get me interested.

E.    Please describe your ideal roleplaying partner and their character.

My ideal partner would be someone who A. Understands that RP is RP and they can separate their characters from themselves and B. (This is entirely unhelpful and totally subjective) I also appreciate creativity—People who want to write a character in a unique way instead of following a trope or archetype to a T, giving depth where there wasn’t any, and being attentive to the plot and themes.

This is kind of a hard question for me because I like to see how people be ‘themselves’ for a lack of a better word. I suppose it would be easier to give an example: In my D&D group one of my favorite experiences was one of the players made a short-tempered, but genius, goblin character, and my character was a timid and unskilled sorcerer. Initially, he pretty much bullied or ignored her and she didn’t really like him but was too scared to say anything about it but it eventually culminated in them becoming close friends, and where he became kinder, she became more outspoken (often muttering mean-spirited sarcasm at people who annoyed her).

So I guess I just like it when someone takes an interest in character chemistry(?) and tries to utilize that in fun and interesting ways.

F.    As part of the application process, our members like asking fun questions of applicants. We want to get to know you and entertain you during your approval process!

F1. Please let us know if you would you prefer: fun/silly questions, writing prompts, both, or neither. If you opt out, Staff will ask you more serious questions about writing and roleplaying instead.

I am a-okay with anything! Throw em’ at me!

F2. If you would like fun questions or a writing prompt, please start by treating the following as either a question, writing prompt, or character building exercise, and remember to keep it PG13: People start waking up with superpowers, but they are mostly useless. For example, the power to be immune to every third bullet, or the power to force people to do the chicken dance whenever the song is played. What would your ‘mostly useless’ power be, and how would you use it?

My mostly useless (or maybe entirely useless) power would be: If a tree falls in the forest it won’t make a sound, but only if no one’s around to (not) hear it. Maybe coupled with some kind of sixth sense to be able to tell when said tree fell.

F3. If you prefer no crazy questions or prompts, you can still include a sample of your writing, if you would like; we would love to see your writing style and creativity! As with all areas of Elliquiy you can see right now, please keep your writing sample PG13.

I’d post a link to my Archive of Our Own account if it didn’t come off as self-promotion (and I don’t know what the policy is for external links) so here’s an excerpt from a fanfic I was working on that never got posted:

Fandom: Don't Starve, Ship: Willow/Wilson
Willow is burning up.

Yet somehow, it feels like she’s drowning.

Scratching, ringing, the pressure in her head is deafeningly loud. They watch her from the shadows, just outside the ring of dim light that surrounds her. The stuffed bear she holds in a tentative grip stirs to life, button eyes looking up to her curiously before it falls to the ground with a gentle thump. It’s limp body struggles to stand. Her vision shakes and she forces herself to grip the lighter with both hands, one fist cradling the other—she won’t let go, she refuses.

The flame sputters.

She stares ahead with labored breaths, the shadows encroach even closer, sensing her weakness and ready to claim their prey. A hand touches her ankle and she startles when cold pierces her veins, before kicking at it with all the energy she can muster.

She sees a clearing of trees ahead of her.

The flames bring everything alight, bathing crooked rocks and old trees in a fiery glow. The growing inferno devours the world of darkness before her. She walks through the flames and smiles, letting out a breathy, “Ha…” when the shadows shriek in terror and flee back to whatever Hell they came from.

Good riddance, she thinks.

Her victory is short-lived however when the world spins and she realizes she’s laying flat on the ground, cheek pressed into the dirt and hand empty, the lighter dropped or thrown somewhere else. Her head aches and she can’t move. She sees a large shadow approach her from the darkness, a hand outstretched when she loses consciousness.

Wilson watches her from across the camp—the young woman that Wolfgang brought back a few days ago; He found her collapsed and saved her from a forest fire (one that everyone had apparently seen and heard in the dead of night except Wilson). Wilson had been curious about their new guest but Wickerbottom insisted they give her space while she recovered. He, of course, was a nosy sort and had peeked into her tent when Wickerbottom was off getting something or another. He had intended to introduce himself but what he hadn’t expected was the sleeping woman to look so angelic up close.

Willow, her name is Willow.

She sat daintily on a log, poking at the stuffed bear in her lap. It was an odd sight, a grown woman playing with a stuffed animal, but he supposed they were all a little odd, and all things considered, this was relatively sane—normal, he meant normal. Her eyes are downcast, ankles locked together and she taps her heels to the wood. She’s rather lovely, he chokes at the thought, it almost feels scandalous.

His curiosity was natural, he just wanted to talk to her and hadn’t had the chance, he tries to convince himself. It most certainly was not because he was intimidated at the prospect of talking to a beautiful woman.

He chokes again.

The almost strangled noise he makes brings attention to himself because she looks up and their eyes lock—he blushes and lifts a hand to wave at her weakly with an even weaker smile and to his delight (Calm down, he chastises himself, It’s just a wave) she waves back. It is just the two of them and he really should introduce himself.

When he approaches her, it’s perhaps a little more confrontational than he would like. He tries to maintain some semblance of confidence but greets her with, “Hello,” and his voice strains. He clears his throat, “Er, how are you feeling, Miss um…” he knows her name already. He was quick to commit it to memory when Wickerbottom had told him, but practically melts at her voice—light and pretty, but confident. She doesn’t stumble over her words like him.

“Willow,” she says and fiddles with the stuffed bear in her hands, “I’m feeling okay.”

“Ah, Miss WIllow,” he says as if testing out her name and she stares at him expectantly, “Oh, um,” he curses to himself at how he trips over his words like a nervous schoolboy, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m Wilson. Wilson Higgsbury,” he holds his hand out to her, she eyes it suspiciously before taking it carefully.

“I know,” she says, before adding, “They told me about you,” he feels a little self-conscious and his curiosity almost gets the better of him, because he wonders who said what and what did they tell her, but stops himself. When she releases his hand he realizes he doesn’t have anything to say but really want to keep talking to her.

“Would you like to join me for a walk?” he kicks himself inwardly, “Not unless you’re still feeling unwell or might think—That’s if—I, uh—“

“—That sounds good,” Wilson stops abruptly and she stands up, patting the dirt from her dress, “If I have to sit here doing nothing for another day then I think I’m going to go insane,” she smiles at him and he blinks.

“I—Okay, good,” he says dumbly, a little taken aback.

She walks past him and he just stares, she raises an eyebrow at him and he jumps, “Right, let’s go!” he hastily takes a step beside her and has to resist the urge to offer her his arm because this was not a date and it would be too brazen for him to even consider.

But…He does consider despite himself.

G.    Do you have any questions of us? If you have any questions or desires of us in a more direct fashion, please feel free to let us know.

Not at this time.

Offline Chasing Dreams

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:16:00 pm »
Welcome to E,  Chijimi P!

We’re so happy to have you here and can’t wait to get to know you better. During the approval process we have a bunch of things to participate in and occupy, should you choose and you can find those as well as other helpful information here. Just make sure you come back to this thread regularly to see what our lovely staff and approved members leave for you by way of greetings, questions and so on. Just to let you know, the approval process usually takes a minimum of 24 hours and can run anywhere from a couple of days to a week depending on various factors faced by the approvals team. Your understanding and patience is appreciated.

Please remember that before approval all posts and interactions must be kept PG-13.

So, with that under our belt, it’s very nice to meet you and I’d like to leave you with a question to get us started!

Which do you prefer: reading an actual book, reading an ebook, or listening to an audiobook? And why?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 10:40:17 pm »
Thank you for the welcome!

Which do you prefer: reading an actual book, reading an ebook, or listening to an audiobook? And why?

I prefer ebooks by a long shot and generally speaking, I'll only get a physical copy of something if it has sentimental value or if I really like the author/book. I feel like this might be 'reading blasphemy', but to be honest, I kind of treat physical copies as collectibles more than anything. As for audiobooks, I've tried, but I just can't get into them. For some reason, listening to an audiobook sucks all the joy out of reading for me. Maybe because the voice in my head never seems to match the voice/tone of the person reading?

Offline Wandering Mind

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:59:21 am »
Welcome to Elliquiy.

Here's a silly question: If you received ten million dollars, what would you do?

Offline Merry Gentry

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:35 pm »
Welcome to E Chijimi P - nice to meet you and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of sheer fun this place is!
Best of luck to you with the approval process and hope to see you about ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:07:30 pm »
If you received ten million dollars, what would you do?

It's not really an entertaining answer, but I have thought about this before so: the first thing I would do would be to pay off my parent's house, then my car and student loans, my friends would get a million each, half of it would go to some charity or cause and the remainder would be put towards long-term investments and taxes. But a more interesting answer: I would finally be able to afford to buy all the OG Bionicles like I've always wanted (they are...expensive....Like, $200 a pop last time I checked) and relieve my childhood until the novelty wore off.

Obviously, I'd have to get two sets, one to display and another for playing with.

Welcome to E Chijimi P - nice to meet you and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of sheer fun this place is!
Best of luck to you with the approval process and hope to see you about ;)

Nice to meet you too and thank you! (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

I'm excited to be here!

Offline Lovely Complex

• They|Them • Sassmeister ♚ King of Kings ♚ King of Brats ♚ Brat Boy • Complex Brat • Huggable Brat • Wordplayer • Mediator • Enthusiast •
  • Centurion
  • Addict
  • ❝ɢɪᴍᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʙᴏᴏᴍ, ʙᴏᴏᴍ, ᴘᴏᴡ!❞
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:48 pm »
Welcome to Elliquiy, Chijimi P! I loved your writing sample! ^^

We're glad to have you here and hope you've been enjoying the approval process, so far. I'd like to leave a writing prompt here for you, if that's alright.

Write about someone who puts an item inside of a time capsule.

Looking forward to your response, which needs to be PG-13, and best of luck with your approval process!

Lovely Complex

Online Hrairoo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 06:53:47 am »
Heyo Chijimi P,

When you get a chance, can you please take a look over here?

~Hrairoo
Staff

Offline Wandering Mind

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »
It's not really an entertaining answer, but I have thought about this before so: the first thing I would do would be to pay off my parent's house, then my car and student loans, my friends would get a million each, half of it would go to some charity or cause and the remainder would be put towards long-term investments and taxes. But a more interesting answer: I would finally be able to afford to buy all the OG Bionicles like I've always wanted (they are...expensive....Like, $200 a pop last time I checked) and relieve my childhood until the novelty wore off.

Obviously, I'd have to get two sets, one to display and another for playing with.

I find both answers entertaining.  Thank you for answering my question and good luck with the rest of the application process.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 08:29:06 pm »
I find both answers entertaining.  Thank you for answering my question and good luck with the rest of the application process.

Thank you! And I'm glad you some amusement from my answer! ^ ^