You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

February 24, 2021, 11:30:34 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Looking for a Specific Term [Resolved]  (Read 81 times)

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Looking for a Specific Term [Resolved]
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:37:27 pm »
Much like schadenfreude, the German language has had many of its best compound words plundered by the English language. I think I'm looking for one such term.

The definition as well as I can remember it is as follows:

A specific type of adventure story where a character (typically a male character) is followed from about early childhood into adolescence wherein he usually goes on a coming of age adventure that typically involves joining the military.

It's perhaps my favorite genre to write (though being me I hardly ever stick to formula, gotta mess with everything).

I vaguely remember it being a specific term used by both German and English though, or I could be having a big old false memory.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:27:14 pm by Inkidu »

Offline Lexandria

Re: Looking for a Specific Term
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:41:18 pm »
Bildungsroman, maybe?

Offline Oniya

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:54:02 pm »
Building (heh) on Lex's post, common examples of the Bildungsroman are 'To Kill A Mockingbird', 'Catcher in the Rye', the Harry Potter series, 'Great Expectations', and 'Johnny Tremain'.

Offline InkiduTopic starter

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:26:48 pm »
Nope that's it. I always cross reference it with The Magic Mountain and that pings. Thanks.