A few ideas [MxM]

Started by bandedbandit, November 25, 2020, 05:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandedbandit

What I’m Looking For:

Dynamic and compelling character relationships, communication, decent-ish writing, a world and a cast of supporting characters that provide a sense of place

Some Basics:

Frequency/Consistency: I don’t care if a partner drops away for days/weeks/months then drops in again. If a story is going well, I’m happy to keep it going whenever we both have the time and interest. The frequency with which I post ranges from once every few weeks to multiple times per day, depending on the story and time availability. I try to let a partner know if there will be a prolonged lapse, but sometimes I'm bad (see 'Ghosting' below)

Length: My post lengths are highly variable, depending on the story, scene, partner, etc. There’s a sweet spot between a dissatisfying amount of detail and trying to eke out an arbitrary amount of words with each reply. I generally match my partners, though, and if you’re giving me really thoughtful posts, I’ll put in more effort. I've enjoyed rp's that are pithy and plot-driven (like this), that border on novella for each post (like this), and quite a few that fall in between (like this, or this, or this).

Multiple characters: I love writing from multiple perspectives. I know a lot of people prefer to focus on one central pairing, but let me know if you're interested in fleshing out multiple characters and storylines, as that's my favorite way to write. Some of my proposed plots lend themselves better to this than others

Pairings: I primarily do MxM. However, if a story contains more than one pairing, I'm happy to mess around beyond MxM. I have a slight preference for playing bottoms rather than tops, but I still like a smattering of both (especially if there are multiple characters in play), and am very interested in power bottoms and unusual power dynamics. Overall, I’m versatile and prefer a partner who is similarly flexible.

Story to Smut Ratio: For me, story >> smut. I like plot, drama, relationships and tension with only a pinch of smut to taste. I calculated the actual ratio once, and the smut was not statistically significant. With that being said, I still like when it's thrown into the mix

Kink: My limits are few and far between. Historically I haven't incorporated much into writing, but it's something I'd be more than happy to try out

Ghosting: I ghost sometimes :D Usually it's because of something stupid happening on my end, and is in no way a reflection of the story at hand. I would love to say I'll try to do better in the future, but I would hate to both ghost you and lie. With that being said, if we started a story in the past, and either you or I disappeared soundlessly into the ether, but you're reading this and thinking it might be kind of fun to try again, please reach out! I'm always happy to open up something new

The Plots:

**A/B are arbitrary, I have a slight preference for a few of the pairings, but in every case I'd be happy to play either

Garden of Eden
Money can’t buy everything. But it can buy a lot.

The seas have swelled, the crops have failed, and the storms grow deadlier each year, and inequality is igniting into chaos.

When even the most gentrified cities seem to be sharpening the guillotines, Character A’s family decides to follow along with others of their class: they move into an Eden. Within those fiercely guarded walls, communities can continue their lives in comfort and safety, as long as they can pay the price of entry.

Character B is told that he is lucky. Working in an Eden, he gets to breathe fresh air, eat rare foods, turn on a light and know there will be electricity. Due to proximity, he is allowed to bask secondhand in the comforts of the rich. It’s a job people would kill for.

Which is exactly what Character B wants to do.

These people are feasting while the world starves. And they are going to pay for it.

Setting: [U/Dis]topian

Blood of a King
The rebellion is over, the cruel king dethroned. Now the new monarchy has to pick up the pieces, and the former king's children are part of the mess. It's unpleasant business. The youngest is little more than an infant, and the eldest played no hand in the fighting - after a bloody rebellion, no one wants to shed even more. But the new regency is tenuous enough without living heirs to spark counterrevolution, and there is no reason to believe they won’t grow up to be as mad and wily as their father and grandfather and great grandfather, and great great grandfather…

The fallen princes and princesses must be killed. Character A is tasked to aid in the execution. Young but rising quickly through the ranks, he proved himself during the revolution and is poised for success within the new regime. But when the time comes...Character A can’t do it.

In a spur-of-the-moment decision, he frees the prisoners instead of killing them. The young soldier is now now on the run with dangerous human contraband, trying to stay alive and undetected in the war-torn and restless kingdom. Over time, the soldier and the oldest prince become allies. Then they become something more.

Setting: Historical or Fantasy

Ghost Town
The colonies were once impossibly dangerous. But after nearly two decades of successful settlement, living there has gone from ‘impossible’ to ‘inconvenient,’ and a more diverse assemblage of travelers are making the journey.

The passengers disembark, expecting to find the rough but thriving city the last supply vessel left behind.

Instead they find empty houses, quiet streets, and bloated corpses.

The new arrivals find themselves in an unfamiliar land with an ocean-sized barrier between themselves and assistance and no idea what could have wiped out an entire city. But they had better figure it out. Because whatever it was is coming for them next.

I don’t have a particular pairing in place for this one, but I can think of a lot of interesting options, and I’d love to develop something with a partner’s preferences.
        Setting: Survival

The Courtship
Family A is on their way out. Once a powerful presence, that influence is beginning to falter without the weight of a substantive fortune, now almost fully exhausted. That’s just fine with Family B. With their newly acquired wealth, they would be happy to take Family A’s place. However, in the eyes of those around them, Family B retains an outsider status that their wealth can’t combat.

When Prominent Figure’s daughter comes of age, both families see an opportunity. A union between Prominent Figure and their family would provide the legitimacy and resources they need. And it just so happens that each has a perfectly unmarried son perfectly capable of courting the young woman.

It was never going to be easy. But it gets a lot harder when the men fall for each other instead.

I’m hoping for some fiery love-hate friction here. Also, if you feel like making things more complicated, fantasy elements could be added.
       Setting: Historical or Fantasy

Oh, Death
Character A is an angel of death. It wouldn’t be his first choice of occupations, but he’s good at it. Good enough that his caseload is usually filled with the more challenging souls - damaged souls, sticky souls, souls that have been lost from the registry, he has the skill to track and gather them all.

But when he tries to take Character B’s soul, things go...poorly.

The harvesting is a disaster, and Character B wakes up in a hospital bed with bewildering memories. He goes back to his house, his husband, his life, but there is something different about him.

The case is transferred to a different department, but Character A can’t get the strange soul (or his unprecedented failure) out of his head. He’s interested in Character B. Character B is interested in this underworld of mortality he has stumbled into. And that world is interested in him, too - there is something unique about his soul, something they would very much like to use.
       Setting: Otherworldly Modern

Chosen
Character A went to the desert to set up monitoring equipment. He came back with the sole survivor of a suicide cult.

After an assignment lands a young scientist at the center of a gristly scene, his rigid, sensible world is rocked by senselessness. Character B must be mad, and it's no wonder why. The man lived his whole life at the center of a cult, worshipped from birth as a being of extraordinary power. It is pity that keeps A in B's life after helping him out of the desert. It is B's magnetic charm that brings him closer. It is fascination and bewilderment that keeps him there for good. Because the impossible powers B was told he possessed may be real.

Setting: Modern/Historical/Supernatural

bandedbandit

Tweaked 'Blood of a King', added 'Chosen'.