You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 29, 2020, 05:18:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Thank you!
What are you grateful for today?

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Ranked Voting  (Read 196 times)

Offline SepiaSunfuryTopic starter

Ranked Voting
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
I just wrote a preliminary letter to the editor sort of letter.

Gentle constructive feedback?

Dear American Voters,

These last two elections, the majority of American voters were not voting for president. They were voting against the presidential nominee they didn’t like because we have a two party system. It is time for that to end. Wouldn't it be amazing to actually vote for the person you want to win, and not worry that your vote would be “wasted”? It’s time that the United States switched to a ranked voting system.

In a ranked voting system, you can vote just like you always have, put the person you are voting for (or the person you think will oust the person you don’t want to win) at the top and leave the other spots blank. So you haven’t lost anything and anyone who feels bewildered by the process can just vote for the one person and then turn in their ballot.

But the advantage of the ranked voting system is that you also have the chance to rank your votes. This way, let’s say there were just three parties involved. You want “A” to win but they are lowest in the polls (which we’ve learned not to trust), but if “A” doesn’t win you would still prefer “B” over “C”. You can vote in the following way: 1. “A” 2. “B” 3. “C”. When the ballots are counted, if “A” is not one of the top two, then your vote for “B” will be used. You managed to vote for the person you truly felt was best but still managed to help oust “C”.

If people could truly vote their conscience our country would not be so polarized. It would gradually move toward showing the bell curve of the true will of the people which would be neither extreme. People could show their true beliefs instead of having to “pick a side”. I’m pretty sure this would mean less violence and it definitely would mean less hate. Anyone can vote the exact same way they always have so there is absolutely nothing to lose and so much to gain!

It seems the best way to change our country’s voting system to ranked voting is to change our state’s system first. Maine already has ranked voting and has since ****. Please send a letter to your county representative encouraging them to make the move toward ranked voting. A sample letter which you can personalize can be found here: http *** Let’s become a better country, a safer country, a leader and example in politics.

"my name"
Voter

Offline Missy

Re: Ranked Voting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »

Online Chaeronea

• Lord
  • Enchanted
  • This is some personal text. There are many like it, but this one is mine!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »

Offline luphawk

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »
that letter looks good to me, maybe point out some other places ranked voting is used (I found this).  where did you plan to publish/post this?

I have been arguing for this for a while now, if I had my way it would be implemented across the board.  if Georga had ranked voting we would already know if the Democrats had control of the senat or not.