You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

November 29, 2020, 05:24:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Random avatars  (Read 227 times)

Offline DhiTopic starter

Random avatars
« on: November 16, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
I had an idea to use a rotation of avatars from a themed pool for a while. The least labor-intensive way to do that seemed to be with a random image service. So I set that up with a pool of random images that can all be called via a single gif, and set that as my external avatar URL.

Didn't work at all at first, but the gif URL was HTTPS. So I tried it with HTTP instead, and huzzah!

Except, it's not doing any randomization, even with a hard refresh. It's whatever image was called when I hit Change Profile.

Is the external avatar just copied to the Elliquiy server on request? Am I running afoul of some security safeguard? How do I do this.

Offline Mirrah

Re: Random avatars
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
Have you done all of these 3 things? (If it's hosted externally, that is probably where the problem lies. Being hosted on Elliquiy's wiki is a requirement for gif avatars to work properly on the site.)

1. Make sure it's the correct size (200 pixels tall by 150 pixels wide, maximum). There may be a file size restriction as well, but it think you should be okay.
2. Upload to the wiki - let me know if you need help with this.
3. Direct link the image (removing the 's' in the "https" of the link) from the wiki.

If you follow these steps and the avatar still won't load correctly, please let us know here and we'll try to help you out. (Or, rather, someone more savvy about this topic will help you out. xD)

Offline DhiTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »
If gifs have to be hosted on the wiki, I suppose that explains it. What I'm finding is that it does work, but only one time, so I can't get it to do what I want.

What I want is to point the external image URL to this link:
http://signavatar.com/62912_v.gif

Each time it checks, it should pull up one of a test batch of 6 random Frankie avatars. Those avatars are uploaded on Imgur. What it's doing instead is setting my avatar to whichever Imgur image is returned first when I hit Change Profile, and I don't understand why.

1. Make sure it's the correct size (200 pixels tall by 150 pixels wide, maximum). There may be a file size restriction as well, but it think you should be okay.
Tis, yes.

2. Upload to the wiki - let me know if you need help with this.
I can't upload the gif to the wiki, because it isn't a gif, it's a redirect to a pool of png images. Would it help to host the pool on Elluiki and have the external gif pull from a pool of Elluiki images? I feel like it wouldn't, but I don't understand why this doesn't work.

3. Direct link the image (removing the 's' in the "https" of the link) from the wiki.
Yes, I really thought I got it when I did that. Direct linking made the gif recognizable as an avatar, but then it doesn't continue to look at the random pool. It only checks once and is done.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
I believe that the inability to do offsite 'calls' for profile/signature graphics was disabled, due to the fact that if the external site is unavailable, it breaks the displays here.  There was a period where people had those little 'hatching egg' things in signatures, and when the host site went down (either for maintenance or from overload), the rest of the page on Elliquiy wouldn't even load.

To be more clear, I know this is why offsite graphics don't work in signatures.  I believe this extends to avatars, and that Elliquiy will grab a copy of the image to store locally when you select an offsite URL for an avatar.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:51:43 PM by Oniya »