You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

January 25, 2021, 10:28:20 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

"We are adopting policies regarding misinformation and fascism."
Please Read, and stay safe.

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Ok, just how much of a fucking idiot I am, please help while I humiliate myself.  (Read 198 times)

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
About a year ago, I bought my first smart phone. That's right, I'm 52 frigging years old and it's my first smart phone. Go figure, I still don't have a facebook, twitter or any other social media account either.

*sighs* As I said, I bought my first iphone about a year ago. 13 months later and I still can't flick on the damned thing. Apparently what I grew up thinking a flick was has, for 50 years, not been a flick because I can't make this damned thing work.

I can tap, I can slide, I can double tap, I can even swipe, but I cannot flick if my life depended on it. The few times that I have "flicked," it's been totally by accident and I can't reproduce it if the dogs of hell were nipping at my heels. I'm so frustrated and tired over having to give my phone to someone else to delete messages, edit text or change the quantity of chunky soup in my shopping cart.
So...

Can someone, anyone, your 3 year old, describe in simple, single sylabol, explain what a flipping flick is to a blind man?. Think of me as a80 year old because a toddler, apparently, can figure this shit out and I can't and it's driving me to a stroke if I don't figure it out soon.

I've looked on line for months and the closest that I've found is "It's exactly what it sounds like." Well, apparently not, since I can't do it.

So, everyone clear about how much of an inbosile that I am? That sound that you heard was the last of my pride flushed down the toilot... not that I had much to begin with.

Online Daeva

If it makes you feel any better I've had my smart phone for years and have zero clue what "flicking" is. So I'll be curious for the answer as well.

Offline Tsenta

Offline Oniya

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/open-your-favorite-android-apps-with-flick-your-wrist-0171341/   Hope this helps, has a video "tutorial".

A video tutorial probably isn't gonna help Blinkin.

(I am also 'smart-phone-inept'.)

Offline Tsenta

I need to know that the gesture is supposed to DO, before I can find out what it IS. As a "flick" isn't really defined in any of the materials. Lol

The only definition of a flick I can find, is either using the camera to track your face, and slide the device left/right to make a page scroll.   Or an alternative word for scrolling/swiping.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:35:50 PM by Tsenta »

Online BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Flick, as described, laughably, here.

www.dummies.com › consumer-electronics › table

Offline Tsenta

Oooh are we talking flicking on tablets? That's just a rapid swipe. Basically you press down gently but firmly, and swipe fast left or right. It'll cause whatever's scrolling to scroll multiple pages (Like when you click down a mousewheel and move it up or down)

Also I found a flick on a mobile phone, is what it sounds, a flick of the wrist in a certain X/Y/Z axis movement.  This is a pretty good example, apologies for the large link:  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jaime_Ruiz4/publication/221518214/figure/fig1/AS:670049253744644@1536763599083/The-user-defined-motion-gesture-set-A-flick-is-defined-by-a-quick-movement-in-a.png

Keep in mind when using it on the phone, the phone basically has internal sensors. If it's not straight/flat when you do the motion, it might read the motion as a different one. 

For example, flick left to right or opposite, the phone has to stay in one position and just rapidly sorta jerked left to right/right to left, without rotating it (like you'd rotate your wrist)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:19:58 PM by Tsenta »

Offline Nymphadora

• Tonks, if she were shy. The knitting Nymph. Nymphadorable. Nymphy ♥
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
I feel like if you are thinking flick as in the phone or tablet speed swiping, maybe if you think of a light touch to your phone screen and pull down in a very quick fashion while curling your finger so it ends up leaving the screen. In my head I feel like it would make a 'fwip' sound as I do it.

Or if you do a fast scroll on your mouse wheel action. That might help you figure out the way it feels to flick. Then apply to phone screen...

Hope my addition helps :)