Ok, just how much of a fucking idiot I am, please help while I humiliate myself.

Started by Blinkin, November 07, 2020, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

About a year ago, I bought my first smart phone. That's right, I'm 52 frigging years old and it's my first smart phone. Go figure, I still don't have a facebook, twitter or any other social media account either.

*sighs* As I said, I bought my first iphone about a year ago. 13 months later and I still can't flick on the damned thing. Apparently what I grew up thinking a flick was has, for 50 years, not been a flick because I can't make this damned thing work.

I can tap, I can slide, I can double tap, I can even swipe, but I cannot flick if my life depended on it. The few times that I have "flicked," it's been totally by accident and I can't reproduce it if the dogs of hell were nipping at my heels. I'm so frustrated and tired over having to give my phone to someone else to delete messages, edit text or change the quantity of chunky soup in my shopping cart.
So...

Can someone, anyone, your 3 year old, describe in simple, single sylabol, explain what a flipping flick is to a blind man?. Think of me as a80 year old because a toddler, apparently, can figure this shit out and I can't and it's driving me to a stroke if I don't figure it out soon.

I've looked on line for months and the closest that I've found is "It's exactly what it sounds like." Well, apparently not, since I can't do it.

So, everyone clear about how much of an inbosile that I am? That sound that you heard was the last of my pride flushed down the toilot... not that I had much to begin with.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Daeva

If it makes you feel any better I've had my smart phone for years and have zero clue what "flicking" is. So I'll be curious for the answer as well.
Absences Updated 6/15/22 Selectively Accepting New Stories
Ons and Offs & Current Story List | Desired RP's

Tsenta

There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tsenta

I need to know that the gesture is supposed to DO, before I can find out what it IS. As a "flick" isn't really defined in any of the materials. Lol

The only definition of a flick I can find, is either using the camera to track your face, and slide the device left/right to make a page scroll.   Or an alternative word for scrolling/swiping.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Blinkin

Flick, as described, laughably, here.

www.dummies.com › consumer-electronics › table
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Tsenta

Oooh are we talking flicking on tablets? That's just a rapid swipe. Basically you press down gently but firmly, and swipe fast left or right. It'll cause whatever's scrolling to scroll multiple pages (Like when you click down a mousewheel and move it up or down)

Also I found a flick on a mobile phone, is what it sounds, a flick of the wrist in a certain X/Y/Z axis movement.  This is a pretty good example, apologies for the large link:  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jaime_Ruiz4/publication/221518214/figure/fig1/AS:670049253744644@1536763599083/The-user-defined-motion-gesture-set-A-flick-is-defined-by-a-quick-movement-in-a.png

Keep in mind when using it on the phone, the phone basically has internal sensors. If it's not straight/flat when you do the motion, it might read the motion as a different one. 

For example, flick left to right or opposite, the phone has to stay in one position and just rapidly sorta jerked left to right/right to left, without rotating it (like you'd rotate your wrist)

Nymphadora

I feel like if you are thinking flick as in the phone or tablet speed swiping, maybe if you think of a light touch to your phone screen and pull down in a very quick fashion while curling your finger so it ends up leaving the screen. In my head I feel like it would make a 'fwip' sound as I do it.

Or if you do a fast scroll on your mouse wheel action. That might help you figure out the way it feels to flick. Then apply to phone screen...

Hope my addition helps :)

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪