You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 21, 2020, 04:39:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: An honest (if hypothetical) question  (Read 87 times)

Offline newbienewbTopic starter

An honest (if hypothetical) question
« on: October 16, 2020, 12:36:39 PM »
Let's say that you (any of you) were to either uncover a whole new form of metal, mineral, metalloid and nonmetal or you discovered something that not even the best of scientists, archaeologists, etc weren't able to find.

What would you name said metal, mineral, metalloid and nonmetal (if you were able to do that) and what would be the first thing that you do, once you found that previously undiscoverd find (be it a fossil, a type of pottery from an ancient civilization that no one had heard of, before, etc. or the aforementioned metal, mineral, metalloid and nonmetal)?

In the event that I've asked the wrong question within the wrong forum, I apologize, in advance.

Offline Vekseid

Re: An honest (if hypothetical) question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
This is kind of a flubber situation isn't it? It will vastly depend on what I've discovered, how, what I can do with it.

Narrow this down and you have a story prompt, but as is it's the 'general case' for this sort of story.

Offline Rinzler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
As a tribute to numerous entertaining fictional metals/minerals such as Adamantium, Unobtainium and Vibranium, I'd call it Macguffinium. Seriously, I would.

As to what to do with it. Blimey, I dunno. First port of call would be the interwebs, I suppose.

Offline Hrairoo

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
If I discovered the fossil of some new birdy dinosaur(like, it'd be one of the fossils with indents from feathers, but just a couple, so, you know it had them) I would name it, "Big Weenus." And I'd draw pictures of it, publishing them as the official interpretation, as a naked chicken(with the fossil bones dimensions of course) with only as many feathers as showed up on the fossil imprint. And if anyone drew it differently or gave it the wrong amount of feathers, I would throw an obscene fit.

Offline Rinzler

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
If I discovered the fossil of some new birdy dinosaur(like, it'd be one of the fossils with indents from feathers, but just a couple, so, you know it had them) I would name it, "Big Weenus."

I now have this image of the Biggus Dickus scene from Life of Brian, but with a paleontologist in place of the rhotacistic Pilate and a number of paleontological students and interns instead of the centurions.

Silence! What is all this insolence? You will find yourself back to bwushing ammonites vewy quickly with wotten behavior like that.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:04 PM »
If it was a metal and it was nigh unbreakable and super light I'd call it Tolkeinium.
If it was a form of exotic matter that allowed superluminal travel I'd probably call it: Melangeum if it was a molecule or the Melangeon if it was a particle.
If it was a nigh unbreakable material that was not incredibly light (either moderately heavy or super heavy) probably Invictite, or Invictine.
If it were a dimondium-caliber nanite creator/material: Galateanite (that's probably my only self-serving one  as it's named after the main character of one of my ideas) or maybe grisgooite if I'm feeling... sassy.

Look, I write a lot and a lot of it's sci-fi. I spend a lot of time making up words to the point where I forget that there are real words that already mean things. I wanted a lighter-than-air gas for a steampunk idea and I thought I was being cute by riffing on Helium (named after the Greek god of/actually the sun) by calling it Selenium (Seleni or Selena being Greek for the Moon like Luna is Latin), totally forgetting that Selenium is a very real element on the good old PToE and is not lighter than air.

I'm thinking about going with Naussicium instead. Burner of ships, burned in ships, same difference.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:55:37 PM »
When in doubt, steal from the classics. My airpunk setting had the invented mineral Cavorite, ripped directly out of H.G. Wells.