You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 23, 2020, 04:58:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Darkwatch, Inc. - A Freeform Shadowrun Story Request [NC, MxF, etc.]  (Read 140 times)

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Enjoy? Please PM or DM me for interest and we can talk shop.  ;) But, here is the actual request I am making.
I wanted to start a Shadowrun story with a partner that would be cool with me bouncing between a cast of characters. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to take the wheel on a number of their own, as well.

This is meant to set in a continuity of my own "verse", based on games and some P&P campaigns I have ran. But most of this is still 90% or so what you'd probably expect from Shadowrun. I may have to fill you in on a new Corp or major NPC or something but there shouldnt be much more than that. My canon is a bit... distorted from what most diehard SR fans may know.

I am also somewhat connecting the events of various games into the world into this story. But those are mostly to be in the background, meant to be a fun 4th wall nod and probably not much else. I have a general direction I want to take this one character, but I am fairly open with a recently fueled muse for this.

A partner that can world build isn't really required (I can do a lot of that myself), but I wouldn't mind them giving their effort to help paint the picture I want. This story should be ours, not just mine. I find that a partner is better invested when they have a say in what goes on. So whatever ideas you might have for your character(s)... I would certainly love to see them shared if you might be interested.

Here is a little prompt teaser... and might be what I have drafted as "Opener Potential"

Darkwatch, Inc. - An Original Shadowrun Story

(Prologue?)

2058, Downtown Seattle

Alex Harland. Veteran cop, special tactics and a bit of a burn out. He was considered by many to be a loose-cannon even by Lone Star's standards. It was a miracle that the Seattle blue could keep him for as long as they had. The Megacorp Wars often made for strange bedfellows. People around the station often called him 'super cop', though it was never completely clear if the title was an ironic insult or a cautious brand of praise. Possibly both in this crazy world.

Today's mad storm: What was supposed to be a smooth undercover job tailing a team of runners went bad. The Yakuza crashed the party and started hosing down the block. A mysterious second team presumed to be other shadowrunners, Halloweener flag-droppers and other poor bastards walking around that could have been potential witnesses. Oh yeah, and the hell hounds. Those made things even crazier. The words 'drek' and 'fan' certainly came to mind, though that was still putting it mildly.

It was far worse than that one incident where this team of runners got gunned down mysteriously in the Salish, not too long ago.

Regardless, Lex ended up saving the day. Sort of. The body count was pretty high this time, with the news already calling this 'The Penumbra Bloodbath'. A lot of those kills being his, though not many could tell. He was just relieved to be out of there before other people could figure out what the hell was even going on. And he still made the bust, to boot. Still..

"Dammit, Cap! I don't need a fragging vacation." Lex barked, slamming his palms against the desk as he glared back up the wide frame of his Troll captain. Fearless. Captain Rick Stafford hunched over a rather pathetic desk worn from stresses like he was currently under.

Rick's voice boomed with a harsh baritone. "Not a vacation. You need to hang it up for good." The troll sat back down in his chair, rocking back. He was still seemed almost as tall as Lex standing across from him. "Look at yourself, Lex. You're fried. It's a bad sign for a cop when he thinks the city will fall apart without him."

"Bullshit. I got your Snake Eyes bust and you're tossing me out on my ass?"

"This is too much, Lex. And you know it."

"No, fuck that, Rick. We're still not done here. You need me. Those fucking runners might also be--"

"Look here, chummer.."The troll captain's voice shifted with a dangerous edge of venom as he leaned forward, finally able to cut into Alex's burning zeal a bit.

"Let me make this perfectly clear. If I see you walk in this station again without handcuffs on, I'm gonna either going to have you cuffed. Or shot. Now...

Your gun and your badge, Lex. It's time."

A few nights later, Lex found himself rolling about in his tiny bed at Stoker's Coffin Hotel. The lights were switched off, but the damn faint buzzing of shoddy electrical work kept him up.

It was all still bullshit. Sure, his methods were wild. But it got shit done. Everytime he had to make the bust, he'd gnab 'em. He kept getting notifications to call an old Fixer he knew, offering a full SIN burn. Ballsy of him, but word gets around when a decker knew where to look.

It would make sense that some that have worked with him before would want him as a Shadowrunner, even if he was cop that was recently canned. Hell, sometimes those were the best picks. The thought swam in circles in his brain pan, the idea of starting a new life as a runner. Without a SIN. Without being someone, anymore.

This mind drifted back to the last case and quickly flooded with frustration, fighting to contain his temper. The muscles in his body tensed, curled up in his bed beneath cheap sheets that seemed to scrape at his skin. Finally, he remembered something that his ol' sis used to tell him.

'Ha. Always have been quite the hotspur, eh, Lex?'

He smiled, suddenly finding himself able to relax a bit. It's been a while since he had time to think about Gabrielle, or 'Gabs' as he took to calling her. Maybe being kicked out on the street wasn't so bad, in a way. Hopefully she was okay, where ever she was.

Hotspur.

It had been quite some time since he remembered that nickname. She was the only one to ever call him that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:50:52 AM by Dallas »

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Darkwatch, Inc. - A Freeform Shadowrun Story Request [NC, MxF, etc.]
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:31:28 AM »
Trivia/Backstory:

The character (Lex) is one I am more or less making up for a completely fresh story... But the event surrounding him (this 'Penumbra Massacre') actually happened in one of my campaigns. He was originally this nameless super badass cop that I tossed in (desperately) to try to save a whole player team from completely getting themselves killed. And, at the time, this was some 'Knights of the Dinner Table' sort of hilarity. Players even started calling this guy "Duke Nukem" when they figured out what I was trying to do to save them.

It was funny for everyone at the table... even as things were going horribly wrong. Come to think of it... this was part of what made it even funnier. This was like some Saints Row level insanity for a typical Shadowrun session.

See...the "other team of runners" were unfortunately the players on the bad end of a party wipe, which began this entire grisly comedy of errors. To be fair, though... they also kind of did this to themselves...  ::)

So, anyway... I once had imagined what it would be like for the cops to seriously try to make heads or tails of this situation after this was all over. While it was mostly amusing at the time, digging that back up in my old campaign notes made me think of a potentially fun story that could be had from this.

Trivia 2

It was far worse than that one incident where this team of runners got gunned down mysteriously in the Salish, not too long ago.

This is a direct reference to the beginning of the Sega Genesis Shadowrun video game. Which if memory serves, happens the very same year this whole thing takes place.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:46:46 AM by Dallas »