You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

April 14, 2021, 08:25:16 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Need help naming a fictional sport...  (Read 402 times)

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Need help naming a fictional sport...
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
So... I basically have a weird idea for a story involving a sport. Which I can only describe it as "Dodgeball + Soccer + Low Gravity Future Stuff"

The thing is, there isn't anything buzz I can call it. Like, Harry Potter has Quidditch. Which is... kinda similar with what I am thinking?

Actually, Final Fantasy X's Blitzball is really close. And Blitzball sounds cool... but doesn't feel very original calling it that.

Uh... any ideas of what I might be able to call this thing?

Offline PennySludt

• Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty ~ Declared an irresistible muse ~ Free hugs ~ Random PMs ALWAYS welcome!
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • take me. use me. fill me. leave me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 23
Re: Need help naming a fictional sport...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:31:16 pm »
Aeroball?
Seigeball?
Aeroseige?
Vortex Raid?
Crossmode?
Grav-sphere?

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
A friend just gave me a nice little random naming site I can try to slap things together. Its something to use to shoot words out there for me to form myself.

I like the Aeroball suggestion the best out of those. Has kind of a buzz to it while not sounding ridiculous for something announcers might say. I initially thought '(something)-Gravball" and just didn't like it. Still experimenting...  :-)

Offline PennySludt

• Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty ~ Declared an irresistible muse ~ Free hugs ~ Random PMs ALWAYS welcome!
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • take me. use me. fill me. leave me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 23
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:57:41 pm »
Oh yeah, the 'Fantasy Name Generator' site can be a useful place sometimes, but I almost always end up taking bits and pieces from the suggestions and making my own out of them. I forgot about that! Good luck :D

Online Oniya

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 06:06:22 pm »
Let's see.  Rugby was named after the school that popularized that rule-set.  Lacrosse was named after the shape of the basket thing (la croix, since it looked like a bishop's crozier).  Basketball was named after the peach basket that was an early form of the net.  Quidditch - appears to be some syllables slapped together, as far as I can figure.

This sounds like a game that was developed by a space-faring civilization (since there's a gravity component), so perhaps something involving 'eva'?  (Extra Vehicular Activity - a.k.a. 'spacewalks')  Maybe it commemorates some daring deed where a drifting astronaut used a thrown object to propel themself - or possibly another person - to safety?  Then the name could have something to do with the hero or their mission or something.

• Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 06:18:21 pm »
Funny you should mention this, because I am trying to link astronauts into how it all started. And I was thinking originally that it was something light and fun to pass the time while in orbit (or a space station) that later evolved into something exhilarating, if a bit... kooky.

Online Oniya

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 06:49:56 pm »
I mean, fun is also a good motivator.  Even in microgravity, you still have inertia, so it could also be a form of exercise to prevent atrophy. 

Offline Avernale

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:02:57 pm »
Its name could be an acronym, if it was originally developed to a specific function. To use what Oniya said as an example, "A form of exercise to prevent atrophy," it could be called "Afepa."