Indentured (M for F, sci-fi)

Started by IrishWolf, July 12, 2020, 09:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishWolf

New colonies on far flung worlds always need more labor and population, then normally come along on the voyage. A good portion of this problem is the cost involved and the fact that new settlers often have to invest heavily into the venture. Of course this cost also comes with large land grants, mining and other extraction rights and basically the promise of becoming a semi-formal landed gentry. Founders and first wave settlers often are granted special privileges, which are to be passed down the generations. 

However more then one colony has failed because it never got a self sustaining population.

Many colonies have adapted an old strategy to get more people on the planet. Indentured servitude. A way for the poor citizens of heavily populated core words to escape the slums and meaningless jobs they toil at. The poor and destitute sign contracts with ships bound for the colonies, normally supply runs after the first wave establishes themselves, selling themselves for the piece of the costly passage, along with expense in housing, feeding and clothing them once they reach a colony. These contracts (and the indentured) are then sold to colonists, who paid their way. This often leaves the indentured working for years before they are freed from the restraints of their contract.

There are also rumors, terrible rumors, that some core worlds and the more built up colonies will sentence minor criminals to deportation and indenture on the far edge of settled space. There are also unsettling rumors that the farther from the core worlds you go, the more likely the system of indenture is abused and those that have sold themselves are basically used as slaves for the rest of their lives.

So if this idea interested you, please send me a PM. I would love to brainstorm to flesh out the plot and build the colony world. My plan was to play a human male first wave/founder colonist with my partner playing a female indentured (or more then one), although they don't have to be human.

IrishWolf