Transfering from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - help!!

Started by Blinkin, June 12, 2020, 07:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hi Guys:

My ancient Windows 7 desktop is giving up the ghost and is terminal. (Yes, the pun was intentional). I have acquired a new laptop with Windows 10 on it and I'm trying to transfer my favorites and some documents to the new machine.

I've followed the google help pages on how to accomplish it, and the import says that it was successful (Even though it never found the html file on it's own), but none of the websites has appeared in bookmarks (And why did they have to make it so frigging difficult to find the damn bookmarks folder?) So, can someone tell me a way to get this done? I really, really, really don't want to enter 60+ website addresses in by hand.

Next question.

I have about 3 gigs of documents, spreadsheets, records and so forth in my documents on the desktop. How do I get those files over to Windows 10 and actually make them work? I have MS Office 365 on the laptop, do I just open the files one by one and save them on the new system, and how do I find them after that? Is there anyway to just transfer the whole folder to the laptop and try to put a shortcut on the desktop?

The reason that I ask the last part is that when my wife bought a laptop, she created about a dozen documents, saved them and apparently, has no idea where they are today, 4 years later.

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Despairs

One of the easiest way to accomplish your task is to use a usb stick, also known as a thumb drive or flash drive and copy all of your files to the thumb drive. Then insert that same thumb drive that has all your files, into the new laptop and copy it to the laptop. There should be a documents folder in the windows 10 OS, copy all the files from the thumb drive into the folder.
Click👉Current ons and offs thread with heterosexual(1Man + 1Woman) and bisexual triad(2Men + 1Woman) polyamory story lines and limits.👈Here
🫵Status🫵: Currently open to writing one or two more stories.  Either heterosexual or triad, where I write for the two bisexual male main characters. Slow replies to messages to be expected due to online Uni and job hunting.
 Expected Uni graduation: 8/24/25.
Feel free to join any of the registries below.
Click 👇 Below
Den of Silver Cougars and Foxes- A registry for those who like to write as main characters who are in their thirties to fifties.
Click👇Below
Futanari Land- A registry for those who wish to write as or against Futanari character(s). Spearheaded by Karma.

Blinkin

That was the method that I was using; I went out and bought 2 34 gig thumbdrives because my puny 2 gig that I used for quick transfers wouldn't of worked with windows 10 without reformatting it.

When I tried to import the favorites to Google bookmarks, the sytem couldn't find the html file on the thumbdrive. I later went into the thumbdrive and selected it and did it through a dropdown. in the file itself. It said that the import was successful and I clicked done, but nothing was under "Internet Explorer import"

As for the other files, I'm more confused than anything because I don't know where to put it that doesn't get buried in the back 40 on the harddrive farm. I tried to go into documents and all I found there were a bunch of options on what can access documents. I guess that I could try dropping it on the drive by itself and try to create a desktop icon to access it. But, I didn't know if that would be a good idea or not.

I wonder if I could import the IE favorites to Edge, then from Edge to Google...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

On your old machine, open up windows explorer (ctrl+esc, windows explorer), rather than your desktop. The left pane will have the folders you want, most likely. Downloads and Documents in particular, but you might want to explore your entire user folder more fully.

You can copy your favorites over this way too. It won't be in the first one you see, depending, under your username folder there will be another favorites folder, which contains all of your IE favorites. You can copy this straight to your same folder on your new machine, and use that.

Blinkin

Ah, I see. Thanks for the advice and I'll try that this morning, I'm tired of typing in addresses to get anywhere. Unlike on the desktop, Google Chrome is much usier on the laptop. I'll have to try and figure out how to make it a little more friendly.I miss a simple search field as opposed to the multi-use address field.but it's good buy to IE, my faithful companion. lolOne final question, I hope.

Is there an easier way to add shortcut keys to programs than what I've seen suggested in the Microsoft community suggest. It seems like a lot of pointless steps to do what I could of done through properties on the desktop. (I would feel much more comfortable if I could start Jaws that way incase it craps out on me, I have to shut it down or for some either reason)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

I'm guessing what's happening is you're copying the shortcut and not the folder itself. Hopefully though you can get around that with my instructions above.

Without knowing what the community has suggested it's hard to say. On Windows 10, find the tile or your application through all apps, and 'right click' (shift+F10). Choose 'select file location' (If it's not there you will need to do the more complicated way). 'Right click' (shift+f10) the file and select properties, go to shortcut tab and edit the field, hit apply.