You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 28, 2022, 08:34:40 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Running mobile app on PC + PC security  (Read 1557 times)

Offline BeorningTopic starter

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Running mobile app on PC + PC security
« on: June 05, 2020, 01:44:54 am »
Hi guys,

I could use some advice on two technical matters.

Firstly, is there a safe way to run an app from an Android mobile phone on PC - or to connect a mobile to a PC monitor? There are some apps I'd definitely want to use, but they are available only for Android / iOS... and I've learned that I just can't work comfortably on a mobile. Browsing the web, using apps... they all quickly give me eyestrain and headache. Is there a way to make an app to run on a normal-sized screen?

Also, when researching the issue, I tried out two Android emulators for PC: Andy and Nox. Both turned out to be infested with malware. >:( I checked my PC afterwards with all the anti-malware / anti-virus tools I know and it seems like it's clear - still, I'm wondering: what PC security software is considered reliable these days?

Can you help?

Offline Gypsy

• 🌹 Classy, sassy & just a little bad-assy 🌹
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • 🔥 Howl when the wolves are silent. 🔥
  • View My Rolls
Re: Running mobile app on PC + PC security
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 04:50:59 am »
I use BlueStacks for running Android apps on PC.  I have not had any issues with malware from using it, though I suppose that you would also need to be wary what apps you download into it.

For antivirus, I have Avast - it has worked pretty well for me.

Offline BeorningTopic starter

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:11:24 am »
I use BlueStacks for running Android apps on PC.  I have not had any issues with malware from using it, though I suppose that you would also need to be wary what apps you download into it.

Hm. I'd be interested in trying it out, but I'm still feeling paranoid after these other two emulators I tried out turned to be harmful. Even though some tech advice portals recommended them...

For antivirus, I have Avast - it has worked pretty well for me.

I'm using Kaspersky. I hope it's good enough...

Offline PixelatedPixie

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:59:44 pm »
I believe I have used BlueStacks as well (awhile ago when I wanted to play the Fallout game before it came out on PC).  I don't remember any issues, but it was awhile ago and I didn't use it much.

I just use the default Windows antivirus and Malwarebytes, plus some Firefox extensions to block ads/scripts/etc.  I can't comment on the effectiveness of any antivirus, other that to say my experience with most is that they got bloated after awhile and became borderline malware themselves.  But I imagine they all have pros and cons.

Offline cincinnatus

• Statesman
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 03:30:14 pm »
There is no way to run an Android app on a Windows PC without emulation or virtualization; Bluestacks as been around for a while and is well supported, but any mainstream program used by people writing apps will be just fine.

As an alternative, I will plug a wireless keyboard/mouse receiver into my Android tablet using an adapter, then cast its screen to the chromecast on my TV.  It's not perfect, but it gets it on a 32 inch screen and I have a mouse pointer and keyboard to type on.

(As far as anti-virus--I use Windows Defender and good practices -- in the XP days I used AVG, I think it's still around)

Offline Masked Insanity

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 07:09:46 am »
I have had good experienced with the default AVD emulator. It is available freely, has good support and can run pretty much any software including those relying on google services.

It is very technical, though, so for anyone not able to deal with the hassles, it will be a bad experience.

Offline Nymphadora

• Tonks, if she were shy. The knitting Nymph. Nymphadorable. Nymphy ♥
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 07:13:35 am »
I have been using Bluestacks for a while to both play Android games and run things that are very 'phone' based that I want on a big screen for much the same reasons you mentioned. I also know of a good few others who use it with no issues.

I use Bitdefender for PC protection as well as Windows Firewall.

I would love to find a way to emulate an iPhone though... I don't think that is possible at all...

Offline cincinnatus

• Statesman
  • Lord
  • Enchanted
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 09:26:10 pm »
I would love to find a way to emulate an iPhone though... I don't think that is possible at all...

I'm not aware of any tools that let you do that, unless you have a Mac and use xCode.  I believe that has an emulator.

Offline Nymphadora

• Tonks, if she were shy. The knitting Nymph. Nymphadorable. Nymphy ♥
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 08:38:09 am »
I'm not aware of any tools that let you do that, unless you have a Mac and use xCode.  I believe that has an emulator.

Thanks. I have not found anything so I shrug and move on. I appreciate the reply!