Who Watches the Watchers: [Closed]

Started by Karma, March 08, 2009, 11:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPOILERS DAMMIT.

Having been entirely captivated by Silk Spectre II during the Watchmen movie last night, I immediately began formulating a concept for a game! It began as a Spectre2/Owl2 solo, but after chatting with some folks I've decided to open it up to be a medium-sized group game.

Basic concept:

This will take place either before or after Rorschach is rescued from prison, depending on how things go in the formulation of the game. (Meaning, if someone desires to play Rorschach and can impress on me their drive and ability to do so, Rorschach will have been rescued.) The idea is that we will be playing within a sort of Star-Treky time bubble, where time is suspended for the sake of our roleplay. In either case, Adrian Veidt (Ozymandias) will not yet have been discovered by Dan Dreiberg (Nite Owl II) and Rorschach, as the endgame plan of the novel may or may not even come into play in this game.

Basically, I'd like to play a somewhat open-ended superhero game, starring the Watchmen characters and universe, with all the darkness and grittiness and just plain unpleasantness involved, but without the ticking time bomb of Armageddon.

Obviously, familiarity with the material is required. If you've only seen the movie, you'll probably be alright, but it's possible that you could miss some references here and there, but those can be explained without too much hustle, I hope.

Several canon characters will be central to this game, however in the interest of group accessibility, I would like a few players to create their own. I don't, as yet, have a major plot in mind - however, I would like one. Please contact me by PM with character and plot ideas. I'm thinking a maximum of 8 players.

Character - Player
Silk Spectre II (Laurie Juspecyk) - karmatrik
Nite Owl II (Daniel Dreiberg) - Xana
Ozymandias (Adrian Veidt) - Idej
Medea (Dinah Cirzy) - Mnemaxa
Hellion (name) - Ixy
Dancing Asp (Lelita Keroln) - Wistful Dream
Kid Arrow (name) - Phantom Pistoleer
Pax (Judah Somerset) - Kolbrandr

Mnemaxa

Medea (Dinah Cirzy) - A master class hypnotist, mesmerist, contortionist and contact juggler, Medea has arrived in town only recently, after the second Silk Spectre stepped out of retirement.  Previously a New Yorker, she has returned from what may have been a self imposed exile to the other coast, where she continued her crime fighting career in San Fransisco.  The death of the Comedian seems to have troubled her....

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

RubySlippers

The Eye of Isis (Nadia Zandt) related to Silhouette (real name Ursula Zandt) who was given a family heirloom a relic her great aunt had in her collection an amulet like jewlery item that can be used to form a dress clasping the material at several points and the choker going around her neck, its a magic relic ,unknown to Silhouette. It has three related powers and all are bound to the clothing its attached to the cloth gets the property of being indestructible short of Dr. Manhatten maybe blasting it and regrows in fact can add or deduct or add material at the wish of its owner mentally plus is metallic in texture, the cloth gets the property of armor similar to kevlar and it can be manipulated to last out as a weapon and do stunts like extra limbs and has fine metal strength and properties but is not metal.

The eyemask is seperate and the amulet appears to be an Egyptian Eye and fine silvery metal with Egyptian Heiroglyphics on it attached to fairly sheer layers of black "silks" and little to hide her form in battle when traveling in the city her clothes layered are modest enough unless she is fighting and is a trained gymnast/acrobat to better use her flexible costume.

She is a decent fighter although not exceptional she can beat up on gang members easy enough with the help of her special powers, she travels by swinging around using her costume usually. She is attached to the New York Police Department so meets the demands of the law and is a trained law officer, attached to Internal Affairs on the Special Desk.

I'll repeat: Please PM ideas first! This game won't be first-come first-serve.

Ixy

I've been hoping something like this would come up.  I love the Watchmen series, and since I saw the film this weekend it's been on my mind a lot.  I greatly enjoyed the film, but it didn't stick with me quite the way the book did... I guess there's only so much you can do in one movie, even if it's almost three hours long :)

I have an idea on the way, and I hope it's acceptable.  I look forward to the opportunity!

A few questions: are we going to keep Dr. Manhattan out of this?  Let him be on sabbatical on Mars, I guess?  Because it seems like he'd be fun to interact with at some point, but very very unbalancing, at least for the early stages.  And what boundaries are we looking at, thread-wise?

I want to keep this freeform and open-ended - so, while we will begin with Manhattan off on Mars, he may come back as the story develops. (Developing plot within the time-distortion confines I've established means the plot will probably get further and further away from the main story of the novel.) As for boundaries, it will be at the least NC-H. I'm open to making it EX, however.

I was originally thinking freeform for this, but it's come to my attention that there is some interest in making this system. Who all is interested in that? I could adapt Triangle's Spirit of the Century mod fairly easily.

WyldRanger

Alrighty. 7 confirmed players, and there are a few more considering, so I'm calling this game closed until further notice! Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I'll wait a bit longer for the remaining possible players, and then we'll get going. What does everyone think? NC, or EX?

PhantomPistoleer

Hey, Mnemaxa!

We'll be playing together here.  My character, Kid Arrow, is also from the West Coast (I was thinking that he worked out of Los Angeles or San Francisco).  Did you want to establish a small character history between your character and mine since they're from the same area?

A little about the Kid:  he's the son of two famous powered superheroes, is a master marksman, a virgin and has only been in the crime-fighting game for three years.  However, during his time, he has worked for the U.S. Government as a spy in the U.S.S.R. and China, and even cooperated on a mission or two with some other heroes.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

WyldRanger

Either place is fine...whatever everyone else feels works for them would be alright with me with this one. :)

Mnemaxa

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on March 09, 2009, 10:59:55 PM
Hey, Mnemaxa!

We'll be playing together here.  My character, Kid Arrow, is also from the West Coast (I was thinking that he worked out of Los Angeles or San Francisco).  Did you want to establish a small character history between your character and mine since they're from the same area?

A little about the Kid:  he's the son of two famous powered superheroes, is a master marksman, a virgin and has only been in the crime-fighting game for three years.  However, during his time, he has worked for the U.S. Government as a spy in the U.S.S.R. and China, and even cooperated on a mission or two with some other heroes.

I'm sure we could work something out.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: karmatrik on March 09, 2009, 10:54:45 PM
Alrighty. 7 confirmed players, and there are a few more considering, so I'm calling this game closed until further notice! Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I'll wait a bit longer for the remaining possible players, and then we'll get going. What does everyone think? NC, or EX?

I vote for EX?  It just seems to cover everything.

Quote from: Mnemaxa on March 09, 2009, 11:08:58 PM
I'm sure we could work something out.

Hooray!  I'm not looking for anything complicated.  Maybe your character trained mine in escape artistry or something.  It seems that since they fight different sorts of crime, my character would from time to time resort to bothering your character with pertinent questions when he's confronted with Medea-level villains.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Idej

The Veidtmeister prefers Freeform to keep it more focused on the story.

Oh, now I really have to find a good avatar.

Mnemaxa

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on March 09, 2009, 11:27:50 PM
I vote for EX?  It just seems to cover everything.

Hooray!  I'm not looking for anything complicated.  Maybe your character trained mine in escape artistry or something.  It seems that since they fight different sorts of crime, my character would from time to time resort to bothering your character with pertinent questions when he's confronted with Medea-level villains.

I'll get a PM to you.

Our roster is now complete. Welcome everyone! I don't have time to make a complete layout for character bios tonight, but something that will definitely be involved is "Public Face" and "Known Facts," that is, information that the public is aware of, and information that the hero community is aware of. Players wrote up character histories for my sake, for admittance to the game - however, these need not be included in their game biographies, unless the players so choose. Please work on these in the meantime until I get the game put together and running. ^_^

Kolbrandr

*snaps fingers* I would have liked system. Ah well. And EX is okay with me.

Ah, addition: You can hold onto the character info until I have the character thread up.

Kolbrandr

I'm fine with posting up my character history just for general player consumption as far as if anyone wanted to riff off of or connect with any of it, as far as it goes.

*cough* Also because it took me a while to write..

Mnemaxa

Medea could use a connection to a chemist or tech geek for help in creating small crystal gas bombs in her past.  Anyone interested let me know.

PhantomPistoleer

Hooray!  I just finished the first draft of my char history!  I really look forward to playing with you guys. :D
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O