News:

Main Menu

Moving Pains

Started by Vekseid, March 08, 2009, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

From apache's log:

[Wed Nov 19 07:11:16 2008] [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 5523)
[Wed Nov 19 07:11:16 2008] [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 5524)

This actually showed up a fair bit until recently. In modern computing that is genuinely capable of doing more than one thing at a time, we have processes. Your browser runs as a process (or several, in the case of Chrome and IE 8), your messenger service runs as a process, and so on. Sometimes, in order to prevent one single subtask from taking the entire program down, a process will spawn child processes in order to make sure funny business only causes so much damage. The parent of a child process is called the parent, surprisingly.

It seems that, because Elliquiy is running in a virtual server rather than directly on the hardware, it has to handle multiprocessing in a different manner, and keeping track of this is not always perfect. Bear in mind, I'm not perfectly certain, here, but it seems like a parent does not realize that something is it's child process, so when it comes time to end:

"Mommy, I'm home!"
"Wait what!? I forgot I gave birth to you!"

...yeah.

relay=mail.itsamac.com[216.183.98.6]:25, delay=120, delays=0.01/0/120/0.17, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mail.itsamac.com[216.183.98.6] said: 553 Senders must have valid reverse DNS. (in reply to DATA command))

...so, apparently, it's not enough for some people that Elliquiy's ip points to elliquiy.com and elliquiy.com points to its ip address. For some mail servers, this isn't enough, elliquiy's ip address needs to point to the domain name specified in the MX record... gah.

So we had some e-mail troubles for a few hours while I fixed that -_-

And I finally figure out, almost a year later, what exactly was causing Elliquiy to foul up for a certain set of unlucky people, CjaC being the first one that brought it to my attention but became a real problem as different people were getting 500 errors than on the previous server.

That's at least partly fixed, now. I'm pretty sure I'm boring you already, so I'll save you the explanation and stop.

Have a nice day : )

Taymynx

V
I am soooo glad you are the one sorting all of that.
I gave up long ago spending hours and days hunting down an answer to a computer problem that I would only have to fix once and then forget.
..or find out I had to do again 2 years later at the expense of following the entire research thread again...because I couldn't remember so long back.
Thank you!
Hugs
Tay
Like the saying goes, that which doesn't kill me has made a serious tactical misjudgement.
Taymynx 's Storyboard Ons and Offs, The Happy Wife Storytelling , intro

Vekseid

Sorting techie things out is my job apparently >_>