The 'Yang-Lu' Relationship: What Many Miss

Started by Twisted Crow, April 26, 2020, 06:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

The Yang-Lu Relationship
What Many Miss

As the Three Kingdoms era of China was coming to a close, there were two empires that remained in contention for total control; Jin and Wu. Among these forces were two enemy tacticians that had strained themselves and their armies against one another on the frontlines of war; Yang Hu (styled 'Shuzi') of Jin and Lu Kang (styled 'Youjie') of Wu.

Despite being enemies after a major conflict, the two had entered a détente -- or, an 'easing of strained relations'. During this time, the two had a strange friendship from their sides of the theatre of war. Lu Kang had once sent wine to Yang Hu, who drank it without any suspicion. Later on, Lu Kang was reported to fall sick. Yang Hu had sent medicine to him in response, to which Lu Kang also took without suspecting anything. The people of that time remarked that the relationship between Lu Kang and Yang Hu was like that of Hua Yuan and Zifan during the Spring and Autumn period.

After returning to Jin territory, Yang Hu started promoting morality and civility, gaining the favor of many Wu citizens in the process. Lu Kang had told the Wu forces that were stationed at the Wu-Jin border: "If they govern with virtue and we administer our state like tyrants, we will lose this war without even having to fight. I hope that you can guard the border well and not stir up problems over trivial matters."

The Wu-Jin border experienced peace and stability as both sides actively practised this easing of tension between enemies. When cattle from one side would accidentally stray from their side of the border, the other side would allow owners to cross the border and retrieve their cattle. During hunting expeditions at the border, if the citizens of either side were injured, the other would see them home safely.

When Yang Hu has Lu Kang's medicine delivered, he sent it with a message: "This medicine is of fine quality. I prepared it myself. I haven't tried it myself when I heard that you are ill so I sent it to you." Lu Kang's subordinates cautioned him against taking Yang Hu's medicine because they had feared that it was poison, yet Lu Kang ignored them.

When the Wu emperor Sun Hao received news of peaceful relations between Wu and Jin, he sent a messenger to reprimand Lu Kang, but Lu Kang replied: "Ordinary peasants in the countryside have to keep their promises, much less me, a government official. If I do not live the virtues, I will appear as a stark contrast to Yang Hu. This does not result in any harm to Yang Hu."

I would wager many of you might not understand the point of me sharing this story. And it does not matter, I would be more impressed by the few that truly do understand.

But... if some of you do happen to read all of this, and attempted to grasp the very heart of it... then I wouldn't mind people sharing what this makes you think about. Hm? I would be delighted to read your thoughts.  :-)

-TC

Twisted Crow

I already know this story, but I had quickly pieced this from Wikipedia in haste (as I am helping my father and being there for him due to my grandmother's health). I mainly tweaked it in places for easier and 'fun' reading.