You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

June 25, 2021, 05:11:35 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Is there a way to stop chrome from saving pictures in WEBP format?  (Read 639 times)

Offline FormlessTopic starter

• Mr. Salt & Pepper
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
So I think after chrome's recent update, whenever I try to save an image, be it a jpg, jpeg or gif, it saves it as a WEBP.

Now I don't know what platforms accept WEBP uploads, but Imgur doesn't seem to accept them on my end.

And I can convert each file I download to whichever format I want, but it takes sometime, and sometimes, just magnifies the file's size.

So is there a way to revert Chrome into saving the images into a proper format?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Is there a way to stop chrome from saving pictures in WEBP format?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:11:49 am »
I don't know if this will work for you but it may offer you some inspiration for an alternative.

I use Paint - the simple one and not the 3D version - for saving some of my pictures, especially if I'm in my IE browser.  You can copy the image into Paint and save it to your hard drive and then for E move it to the Wiki.  I'm not very conversant with formats for saving images so this may be an exercise in futility for helping you.

Offline Despairs

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:33:54 am »
There is an extension for that in the chrome store, it's called Save Image As You Want, you can save images as JPG, PNG and WEBP. You can also use an online file conversion tool, one of them is zamzar, which allows you to convert images into JPG, PNG, etc.. There is currently no way, that I know of t get google chrome to save images in JPG and PNG. If I find a solution, I will inform you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:41:10 am by Despairs »

Offline Geraint

• RomanceCrack Dealer and Propigator of Plot Bunnies (when the spirit moves) Cunning Linguist and Doggerel Dispenser
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait"
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 09:40:17 am »
For what it's worth, the Wiki here will upload some WEBP files, though (at least on Firefox) it complains voluminously in the process and refuses to make thumbnails at all.

Strangely enough, it seems to  handle moving (gif type) WEBP images with less fuss than still ones (but still without thumbnails).  I suspect that has something to do with there being two different types of files (varying by amount of compression) both tagged as  .WEBP

A WEBP Angel for BeMi and hosted here.

Mostly though, I convert into PNGs in Paint (though it does not preserve either motion or transparency in conversion to PNGs or GIFs) 

edit:  Also, I don't know if Chrome does it, but I am seeing an increasing number of files downloading with .webp simply tacked on after .jpg   (e.g.: file.jpg.webp which the wiki won't load at all)  For those files, you can simply delete the .wepb part and they display as .jpg and load on the wiki well.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:16:06 am by Geraint »

• Mr. Salt & Pepper
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 02:42:07 pm »
Much appreciated everyone.

Still images are pretty solved using the extension Despairs referred to.

And using paint if you're not comfortable with Google Chrome also worked.

The problem that remains now for me is GIFs. The extension does not work for them, and the only option so far is to convert them through any of the free image conversion websites. Though the size of each file doubles or triples in some instances.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 02:48:51 pm »

A WEBP Angel for BeMi and hosted here.

*smiles and hugs*  Thank you!

Offline Nowherewoman

• No fantasy is large enough to contain my dreams.
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • If death doesn't get you, the life surely will.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 09:27:21 pm »
You can also cut and paste the page into another browser and dl from there, or, brute force method:

right click on a blank part of the page and select 'view page source'

CTRL+F and search .jpg

It's a bear finding the right one if it's a page with a lot of images, but it's often a useful way for getting pics from catalogs, for example, that rotate or auto-zoom and won;t let you open the pic in another tab normally.

• Mr. Salt & Pepper
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 09:29:09 am »
You can also cut and paste the page into another browser and dl from there, or, brute force method:

right click on a blank part of the page and select 'view page source'

CTRL+F and search .jpg

It's a bear finding the right one if it's a page with a lot of images, but it's often a useful way for getting pics from catalogs, for example, that rotate or auto-zoom and won;t let you open the pic in another tab normally.

Using links on other browsers does work! It has its own inconveniences to me, but I am not complaining as these issues are specific to where I live. ::)

Now using the page source? Gotta say it makes me feel like a debauched hacker. xD

Thank you, NWW.