You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

April 03, 2020, 06:55:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Coronavirus - are you afraid?  (Read 8695 times)

Mechelle and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dashenka

Re: Coronavirus - are you afraid?
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:57 AM »
I just read that in the Netherlands the infection rate is slowing down. So their measures, at least for now, seem to be working.

IC units are critical but they are not code red yet.

Combined with the 'positive' numbers from Italy and China, I'm hopeful that we're slowly getting a grip on corona. It's not out yet, not for at least a few more months but the spreading seems to slowly be under control.

Offline Beguile's Mistress

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • Perpetual Notion Machine ~ 'What if...?'
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:01 AM »
Sanitation workers here in Pittsburgh are looking for protection from the city before continuing to pick up refuse.  I don't blame them.

• Time flies like an arrow ~ Fruit flies like a banana ~ Elliquiy's Fair-E Godmother
  • Dame
  • Carnite
  • Location: Faeleacanvald ~ The Steeler Nation ~ Home of Lord Stanley's Cup 16/17 ~ She won't stay throwed! ~ 48\22-5\1\11-5\7
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2020, 10:14:20 AM »
Grocery stores are asking people to refrain from bringing reusable carry bags into the stores.  They will provide plastic bags for shoppers.

The irony here is that many of our grocery stores have been attempting to transition away from disposable bags in the last few months for environmental reasons.

Offline Orval Wintermute

« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
Bit of positive news for a change.
Yesterday the Government asked for 250,000 volunteers to help with very basic NHS and social care needs, basically delivering "stuff" to where it's needed.
Already over 400,000 people have signed up.

Offline RedRose

« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »
Wow. I don't know how many in my country would. I try to remain very positive, but this was my first thought.

Offline Iniquitous

• Diva of the Damned | Mother of Horrors | Patron Saint of Blankies
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • I've been laying with the Devil....
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »
I just read that in the Netherlands the infection rate is slowing down. So their measures, at least for now, seem to be working.

IC units are critical but they are not code red yet.

Combined with the 'positive' numbers from Italy and China, I'm hopeful that we're slowly getting a grip on corona. It's not out yet, not for at least a few more months but the spreading seems to slowly be under control.

Over there maybe.  Not slowing here.  Matter of fact, it is picking up pace here.  NY is seeing the numbers double every 3 days.  My state jumps 100+ confirmed cases every day (and I know for a fact not everyone is being tested - people who are sick are being told to just self isolate and never being tested so the numbers are nowhere near the truth.)

Offline Caela

« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
Over there maybe.  Not slowing here.  Matter of fact, it is picking up pace here.  NY is seeing the numbers double every 3 days.  My state jumps 100+ confirmed cases every day (and I know for a fact not everyone is being tested - people who are sick are being told to just self isolate and never being tested so the numbers are nowhere near the truth.)

Not having real numbers seems to be a problem everywhere in the States. I know in my state, we just don't have enough tests so unless you're a frontline caregiver, have a known positive exposure, or are symptomatic enough to need to be in the hospital you are being told to stay home in self-quarantine and not getting tested.

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »

I meant in Europe yes.

Experts already said than in two or three weeks, US will be the Corona hot spot instead of EU.

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #508 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
Watching the POTUS giving his daily address and telling us how wonderful things are going but his scientific staff are not on camera with him.  That way we don't get to see their faces as he makes one "mistake" after another.

i.e.  Mistake = Lie

Offline Lexandria

« Reply #509 on: March 25, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »
My husband managed to get tested (he caught what we think is a 'regular' cold last week, but I've been sleeping in the living room just in case, and my work has now closed down) last Thursday and they still don't have the results. At whatever point the results come back, if it was COVID19, warning anyone either of us had contact with for two weeks prior is basically moot, because they can't even get tested unless they know for sure they've been exposed to someone who tested positive and/or show symptoms, and then they'd have to wait over a week for results too. I work with folks who are immune compromised. I told them Husband got tested, but I can't give them any other update than that because there isn't one. With results coming this slow, there's no way at all we can contain this and there's no way to know the full scope. Maybe it's faster in bigger cities (or if you're a Senator), but here it's just going to get worse.

Offline Chasing Dreams

« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »
My husband managed to get tested (he caught what we think is a 'regular' cold last week, but I've been sleeping in the living room just in case, and my work has now closed down) last Thursday and they still don't have the results. At whatever point the results come back, if it was COVID19, warning anyone either of us had contact with for two weeks prior is basically moot, because they can't even get tested unless they know for sure they've been exposed to someone who tested positive and/or show symptoms, and then they'd have to wait over a week for results too. I work with folks who are immune compromised. I told them Husband got tested, but I can't give them any other update than that because there isn't one. With results coming this slow, there's no way at all we can contain this and there's no way to know the full scope. Maybe it's faster in bigger cities (or if you're a Senator), but here it's just going to get worse.

It's take 4 to 5 days here to get test results back. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the results are negative. Our cases are going up by over 150+ each day now.

Offline Lexandria

« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2020, 05:40:10 PM »
It's take 4 to 5 days here to get test results back. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the results are negative. Our cases are going up by over 150+ each day now.

Well, for him, it's basically over, he'll be immune (in theory), and I'm not worried about me, my immune system is more robust than his is as I very, very rarely get sick. But everyone we had contact with for two weeks prior to his symptoms (and I work in food, and saw a lot of people and kids over those two weeks (even though I had been washing my hands before and after every customer, wiping down surfaces to sanitize them, standing away from folks with a counter between us, etc)), they'll have either gotten sick already or be sick in less than a week if it got passed along. He works in a small office space with lots of folks, so then all of them would have been exposed too, and their families, and everyone they had contact with too. I really hope that it comes back negative because I really don't want either of us to have exposed so many people.

Offline Jaclyn

« Reply #512 on: March 25, 2020, 05:50:06 PM »

Online Dallas

• World Building Enthusiast, Unofficial Mentor, RotK Fanboy, Squall Fanboy, Smut and Plot Weaver, Guan Yunchang, Cao Mengde, Zhuge Kongming, Friend to All
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #513 on: March 25, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
I cannot afford to stay home. If I stay home and don't look for work, I will starve to death.

Not might. Will.

I have no choice but to weather this storm, so to speak.

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #514 on: March 25, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »
My heart goes out to you, Dallas. 

Online Mechelle

« Reply #515 on: March 25, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
I cannot afford to stay home. If I stay home and don't look for work, I will starve to death.

Not might. Will.

I have no choice but to weather this storm, so to speak.

You sum up the problem for so many people. I can work from my home,  with a bit of inconvenience, and my employers are happy with that, but it's a problem for people in Britain who are self-employed, although the government are supposed to be
coming up with something tomorrow, or work for rogue employers, who expect them to attend work when it could be done from home, even though they are not "key workers.". This applies especially to the lower-paid.

I am not sure what to say, but I wish you well, Dallas.

Online Dallas

• World Building Enthusiast, Unofficial Mentor, RotK Fanboy, Squall Fanboy, Smut and Plot Weaver, Guan Yunchang, Cao Mengde, Zhuge Kongming, Friend to All
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #516 on: March 25, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »
I appreciate the thoughts. I am not worried so much for myself, I generally have a freakishly resilient immune system (long as I stay positive). It is just extra precautions in staying sanitary and taking measures to prevent spreading it (in case I do catch it).

What is annoying is the condescending speeches from people telling me to 'just stay home'. Like they are the moral center of the universe or something. I do not have the privilege of staying home and waiting it out. I mean, if they want to buy me some groceries to last me a week or two? Then I'd happily stay home in safety. But that's not likely to happen. I just don't have the safety nets that other people have, right now.  :-\

So in conclusion, I need to make money. So I can (at least) have a single meal each day and stay somewhat healthy.

• Dame
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
We sent almost 97% of our work force home to work out of their residences but I need to come into the office with two of my team leaders and part of our IT department to keep the company running for the duration.  I'm a director of a major department but I also take off more than 8 hours a week for dialysis so my flexibility is nil.

I hope things work out for you Dallas. 

Offline Love And Submission

« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »
I'm not afraid but I am angry now. I've been reading articles by people who think not just is this sustainable but that this is a preferable way to go about our lives. Are these people serious? This cannot last for more than four or five months. If we're doing this in October, there's going to be riots.

The majority of people not leaving their houses for eight months is not healthy. I'm a loner and even I realize that this is a nightmare.  Society can not function like this for very long. If this self-isolation becomes the new normal, Our society will eventually collapse. This is not how humanity has worked for thousands of years, you can't just change the entire habits and traits of a species overnight without disastrous consequences.

Even Wuhan itself is going to go out of quartine in two weeks because it's just not possible to keep people quarantined for six or seven months. Look at the effect that solitary confinement has on prisoners. People need to socialize otherwise they will actually go insane.

Offline Iniquitous

• Diva of the Damned | Mother of Horrors | Patron Saint of Blankies
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • I've been laying with the Devil....
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #519 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:28 PM »
I'm not afraid but I am angry now. I've been reading articles by people who think not just is this sustainable but that this is a preferable way to go about our lives. Are these people serious? This cannot last for more than four or five months. If we're doing this in October, there's going to be riots.

The majority of people not leaving their houses for eight months is not healthy. I'm a loner and even I realize that this is a nightmare.  Society can not function like this for very long. If this self-isolation becomes the new normal, Our society will eventually collapse. This is not how humanity has worked for thousands of years, you can't just change the entire habits and traits of a species overnight without disastrous consequences.

Even Wuhan itself is going to go out of quartine in two weeks because it's just not possible to keep people quarantined for six or seven months. Look at the effect that solitary confinement has on prisoners. People need to socialize otherwise they will actually go insane.

oh for crying out loud.  No one is saying this is going to be the new normal.  No one is saying that humanity has to live this way forever.  No one actually believes that this is how we all have to live forever and forever.  Stop reading the nonsense and the crazy talk.  If you can't stop reading it, take it with a grain of salt.  We will go back to work (for those that have been able to self isolate), life will go on.  People will still be selfish, arrogant assholes around each other and will be able to go to the markets and clubs and restaurants and parks.

In the meantime, there is the internet and phone calls to socialize.  You can still go outside and even socialize so long as it is in very small groups (less than 10) and you practice social distancing.  No one is being put into solitary confinement, no one is being asked to put themselves into solitary confinement.

Offline Caela

« Reply #520 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:03 PM »
Here's a link from an actual nurse in the States. What's happening in other countries may vary, but this is what hospitals here are facing. If you can isolate yourself and distance yourself from others do so...anything less is simply saying it's ok for our healthcare system to collapse under the weight and for people to die because you're bored and don't like it.

https://www.facebook.com/191709277934/videos/506243943403714/UzpfSTEwMDAwMDA0Mjk3NDg5MTozMTYyMjY4MTAwNDUxMjU4/?sk=h_chr

Also, isolating yourself doesn't have to mean never setting foot outside your door. If you have a yard, go outside, get fresh air. Take your dogs for a walk, go for a walk yourself, go for a hike in the woods, get sunshine and fresh air into your system...just stay the fuck away from other people. If you have a family and need groceries, don't load everyone up into the car to go to the store, send one person and leave everyone else home so that there are fewer people at stores and less spread of germs between them. If you need to see friends, make video calls, make phone calls, hold online movie viewing parties (Netflix has a chrome extension to allow groups to synchronize viewing and puts up a chat window for your group to talk to each other in, or you can just start a show at the same time and run a chat on FB or other social media server), there are ways to stay in touch with people and still keep your physical distance, make use of available technology.

Online Phoenixrisen

• Unrepentant Brat, Trouble, Temptress
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • Country raised, captured by fantasy.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #521 on: March 25, 2020, 11:14:55 PM »
I'm gonna just leave this here;

Please, if you're having trouble with this social distancing thing, for the love of all things holy watch the video. Listen as a doctor who works in a hospital explains to you how your life could be lost if we stop too soon even if you personally never contract the virus, but need medical care for something else. If hospitals end up over capacity and you get into a nasty car wreck, or a fire, or slip with a knife or scissors in your hand and fall exactly wrong, or literally any other potentially deadly accident that could possibly happen and that do everyday, there will be no room to help you. Even if there's room, there might not be a medical team that haven't been exposes to the virus to look after you, and if one of them got screwed by substandard PPE and is asymptomatic well guess what, your already badly damaged body may very well be having to deal with a nasty virus too.

I get that this is hard and scary, but whatever dystopia future you may be foreseeing, it will be so much worse if we stop the prevention too soon. Might the economy tank? It might. Would that make life a bit less convenient depending on your skillset? It could, I'm not gonna lie, but what would be even worse for the economy and country would be loosing 2.something percent of the population to a virus, and who knows how many more people who couldn't get help because there was no room. We don't have to stay in quarantine forever to keep that from happening though, just long enough for our medical system to not be overloaded by new infections that require medical assistance to live, for doctors not to have to make countless hard choices that they don't have to make.

So, if you happen to be sad, or angry, or bored because we're being asked to protect each other in the best way possible, remind yourself how much worse it would be if we weren't. If you're having trouble seeing what that might look like, look at Italy. Look at all the dead there were on a daily basis, now think how much more death that is in a country with a much higher population. Now just to really bring it home, front line medical workers tend to get infected more (who'd have thought?), so what happens when we start losing them enmasse too because people couldn't make a temporary change to the way they lived their lives that at the moment is the only way to interrupt how quickly the virus spreads.

So, ask yourself if you're willing to endanger not only yourself, but everyone you care about because you're pissed off about being asked to be a team player in an effort to keep the world you know from being completely shattered by the impact. No, we don't know how long it will be, but seriously can the whining just stop? I have a simple exercise for you, it's called reframing. Anytime you start to feel a nasty way about the current state of affairs remind yourself that you are choosing to live through discomfort for the good of all, because at the end of the day, there are very few places, in the US at least, where social distancing is being heavily enforced, so you are making a choice. If that still doesn't help, reach out to friends or find a telehealth therapist who can help you work through it. This is a trying time, there's nothing wrong with needing help, now especially.

Offline Lord Drake

« Reply #522 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:02 AM »
Also.

Nobody and let me stress nobody is asking you to do anything that objectively you cannot do. Let me stress this. If you are forced to go out for valid reasons, you should.

The real reason for enforcing the "stay at home" mentality is that there will always be a percentage of people stupid enough to take unnecessary risks. We have all seen the various images of people grouping at the beach or other places these times and I can assure you that even here in Italy there still is that kind of people despite the seriousness of the emergency.

While there is people who is forced to go to work outside because they have objectively no choice and people who needs to go out at least a little to protect their mental health, there is a larger group who would go out because they bore easily or do not want to make sacrifices.

I am stressing this. That group is larger and from the outside you usually cannot tell one from the other.

People can give you the benefit of the doubt but is important not to get offended if you keep being told that you should have stayed home. It is the most effective mindset and even if you are forced to go out, it still protects you from those who are not.

Offline Dashenka

« Reply #523 on: March 26, 2020, 03:17:32 AM »
My friend's finally flying back home to Boston today.

Took a lot of effort for somebody to get home but hopefully later today she'll land back in Boston.

In the meantime, there is the internet and phone calls to socialize.  You can still go outside and even socialize so long as it is in very small groups (less than 10) and you practice social distancing.  No one is being put into solitary confinement, no one is being asked to put themselves into solitary confinement.

I'm glad that you can, but not everybody can.

And yes, people are being put in solitary confinement. For (arguably) good reasons, but they are. Those people who depend on others to go out, like the elderly, disabled or just people with anxiety, are now forced to stay at home, alone.

I understand the reasoning behind these measures, but Trump said something along the lines of 'We cannot let the cure be worse than the virus.' For some people, the cure really is worse. I've already explained this before and I understand what Love and Submission is saying and how he feels about it. I've been there as well.

Online gaggedLouise

• Quim Queen | Collaborative juicy writer | Dasha's skirted secretary
  • Champion
  • Addict
  • Bound, gagged and unarmed but still dangerous.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #524 on: March 26, 2020, 05:22:23 AM »
Gordon Brown, former PM of Britain during the 2008 credit/banking crisis (and minister of finance for several years before that) says there is now need for a temporary world government to take on the pandemic and the economic plunge in its wake. Almost certainly not going to happen, but there's a definite need for coooeration and perhaps for putting some national projects on the backburner.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-live-news-update-world-lockdown-global-deaths-india-uk-us-australia-china-latest-updates?page=with:block-5e7c48f78f081e5eda236f7b#block-5e7c48f78f081e5eda236f7b