You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 20, 2019, 09:36:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: A Soul's Travels (JessicaHouse x okintsukoro)  (Read 623 times)

Offline JessicaHouse

Re: A Soul's Travels (JessicaHouse x okintsukoro)
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:30 PM »
Abir's heart broke as the monster hunter rejected his affections and turned to leave, but even as much as it hurt the young prince decided it was worth it to bare his heart to the man he loved. Even if he didn't believe him, he knew how the prince felt now, and Abir would have to be satisfied with that.

Wouldn't love him if I knew his secrets... bah! Everyone thinks that! Sometimes it's the darkness in your soul that makes you all the more attractive.

In a moment of boldness, Abir said, "Wait... I know you don't intend to linger here, but I would like it if you at least stayed with me until nightfall. If you really think I know nothing about you; other than the fact that you are gorgeous, dashing, courageous enough to tame both a were-cat and a cockatrice, honest enough to not demand more payment for your goods, and a damn good kisser; then stay and tell me more about you."

Offline okintsukoroTopic starter

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 03:56:17 AM »
Alden had nearly stepped out of the tent with the flap open when he heard Abir speak, his back still turned to the man. Even after the prince finished speaking, the collector seemed to mull over the prince's words: most of it flattery, all of it things he already knew about himself.

"...now that is a tall order you ask for, Abir. That will require its own transaction," he eventually spoke, slowly turning his head to glance back at the prince. "I don't know much about you, but from the way you speak, you must be a lonely and desperate soul if you desire my company this much. If you want to know me that badly, you must be willing to give in return."

He slowly turned the face him, arms crossed across his chest as he waited for the prince's response.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »
Abir gave a serious look, his brow furrowed. "Must I? I'm a prince of the Fullarrow Tribe, and you are in the middle of my camp, in my tent no less. If I told my father's warriors that I wanted you to stay, I dare say even the monsters you've collected could not keep you from my grasp."

He continued the stern expression for several more seconds before laughing and falling on his back with his hands behind his head. "Except that I'm not like that. And my father would be furious if I abused my position to hold a handsome man hostage. What's more, who would do that to someone they love?"

From his position on the ground, flat on his back, he peered up at Alden. "Fine, then. Name your price, love, and I will pay it. If it is within reason of course. Even the man I love isn't worth giving away my family's fortunes."

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 06:50:46 PM »
Alden was put on his guard when it sounded like Abir was threatening to make him stay. But before he could think of a way to escape such a situation, he watched the prince break out into laughter, explaining how he seemed to be jesting for now.

When he spoke of the price, however, Alden rolled his eyes. "You think I meant a literal price? By the gods... as much as extra treasure would help in funding my menagerie, that wasn't what I had in mind."

He slowly walked over to where the prince was lying on his back, crouching down to poke at Abir's forehead in an almost playful manner, even though he wasn't smiling.

"I was talking about exchanging information about each other, silly prince. You think I would talk about myself and not want to know more about the man who claims to love me? If you're going to ask about who I am, then I want to know more about you so I can figure out if you're worth giving a chance."

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »

Prince Abir's eyes followed Alden's finger and crossed as it pressed his forehead. He giggled and swatted the hand away. "Worth giving a chance? My love, I am a prince of the Fullarrow tribe. Women will want to marry me and men will want to become my lovers for as long as I live. My father picked out the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen as his bride," Abir flicked back his long, silky, golden locks, "so I know I, too, am beautiful beyond measure. Worth giving a chance. You're so funny!"

Abir sat up, holding both of his ankles in his long, slender fingers. "But, all that is aside from the point. You wish to know about me? Very well. I shall answer any question you have. Or, if you prefer, I can simply tell you the highlights of my life story up until now."

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
Alden shook his head, returning back to the cushion seat as he crossed his legs with a sigh. "I think I prefer to ask questions. Starting with a simple one: if you think so highly of yourself, and you had several beautiful suitors beforehand, then what made you not want them?"

If Abir was truly looking past their looks and seeing something much deeper he didn't like, Alden wanted to know right up front.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 11:32:18 PM »

Abir pressed his fingertips together and nodded. "Hmm... that is quite the question, isn't it? Well, I'm afraid my reasoning may put your skeptical mind any more at ease. Let me start by explaining something my father told me."

Abir stood and paced the room, his eyes cast up at the sky in fond memory, as if he could see his father, as he was when Abir was but a boy, standing over him. In a deeper voice, Abir said, "Son, I was once a powerful mystic in my youth, just like your brother, Faruk. In my dreams I explored the spirit world, greeting the guardian spirits of rivers, mountains, and the weather. I spoke to fire, listened to the tales of the ocean, and even heard the Holy Voice of The Master Himself! Yes, the Great Wayfinder didn't just speak to me, he sang."

Abir closed his eyes and nodded his head, the tale clearly being the most important thing his father had ever told him. "But for all the wonders I saw, nothing was as beautiful as your mother. So, I gave up the ways of the Wiseman to become a husband, and, later, a father."

Abir's eyes opened again and he smiled at Alden. "It's such a beautiful tale... to experience so much, so many beautiful things, but find someone greater than everything else. I never felt that with any suitor who came my way. But it's the way I felt when you kissed me."

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 12:41:46 AM »
Alden stoically kept his green eyes on Abir as he recounted the tale of his father.

Parents. Alden had no recollection of his own, let alone much of his childhood. Whether it was because he had none or simply repressed them, it was difficult to say.

Still, it certainly gave Alden a slightly better picture of the sort of man he was dealing with. His arms lay limply in his lap, sighing as Abir finished his explanation.

"So you've left it all up to a gut feeling to decide who your love is. Well, you were correct in that it doesn't give me any comfort to know that that's all you're basing your feelings on. But at the very least, I have a better idea of the sort of man you are. The kind to believe in a fairy tale sort of romance. Well...to each their own I suppose. From the way you speak of your lifestyle, you've had many things go your way, I'm sure. It wouldn't surprise me that you think that finding the love of your life should be just as simple."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:07:50 AM by okintsukoro »

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
Abir giggled. "You still think love is something you can logic through. Make sense of. It's funny, cute, and silly. Why not believe in fairy tales, Alden? Fairies are real, monsters are real. Maybe not all the stories told about them are so real, but the point they make is truth. Why should I not pursue someone who makes me feel like I'm in a fairy tale?"

Abir shrugged. "Why don't you tell me what you think love is. Devoid of all fairy tales, quantified and calculated without those pesky emotions in the way, what do you think true love is?"

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
Alden shook his head, as if he found the notion of being called 'cute' or 'silly' absolutely ridiculous. When Abir rhetorically asked why he shouldn't pursue someone who makes him feel like he's in a fairy tale, he could only think, 'Because life doesn't work like that.'

Still, he quickly found himself put in the spotlight when Abir asked about what he thought what love was. He shifted on the pillow he was given for a seat, silently mulling it over as he glanced down at the floor. He eventually glanced towards the tent flap, either to avoid eye contact or because he was thinking about something that was out there.

"...it's honestly not something I think about. The only love I have is for my collection. They are everything to me. I've never felt romantic love for a single person. I'm not even sure if it's for me. But... I'll humor you."

He then shut his eyes, turning his head up so that when he opened them, he was gazing up at the ceiling of the tent.

"If I were to love someone... it would be someone who I could trust. Someone who would not try to keep me from my collection. If I were to be romantically involved with someone... I would hope they would care about my monsters as much as I do."

He seemed to stop himself, as if catching himself daydreaming about having such a thing.

A romantic partner? For him?

He scoffed, letting out an exhale as he finally looked back towards the prince. Of course Alden thought Abir was good-looking, but that didn't mean he could trust him. A man with as much power and status as Abir did could easily make his life an absolute mess, and possibly take everything he ever cared about away from him. Just because things were going smoothly now didn't mean things would stay that way.

"Whatever romantic love is...it's not something I require, nor is it something I'm looking for. Not that it matters. My line of work has always been a solitary one. I'm used to it."

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
Abir gave Alden a sad look. "It sounds like your life is... rather lonely. I can't imagine what it would be like to be on your own all the time. I've never been on my own, always had my brothers and my tribe with me."

The prince reached out and gently held Alden's hand. "My love, I've traveled to many different lands, studied many cultures, and I have seen that every culture holds a few basic beliefs in common. One such belief is that it is not good for a man to be alone in the world. Many cultures punish their criminals by isolating or banishing them, and they celebrate their heroes by gathering people around them in large numbers. People either marry or they find a close personal friend with whom they wish to spend their lives. I'm sure your monsters fill some of that void for you, but a man who eats nothing but dry bread his whole life doesn't know what he's missing out on until he tastes honey cakes."

Abir reclined again, placing his hands behind his head. "I have a hookah in here if you would like to try some. The vapors are wonderful."

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
Alden didn't really react much when Abir held his gloved hand. Still, he had to admit that the prince's empathy was a nice change from the shunning he'd usually get. Even when he went to other towns, he wasn't used to being around many people.

Upon hearing about the hookah, he let out a dry chuckle. "I'd rather not. No offense, your highness, but I can barely tolerate the strong aromas that fill this tent..."

He was silent for a couple of seconds before adding, "...although, perhaps it's time I look around for something to feed myself. I haven't eaten since the night before."

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
"Oh, you're hungry?" Abir raised a hand to his own mouth. "Oh, dear... I apologize! I've been a most ungracious host! I can have someone bring us something to eat, or we can go visit one of the cooks and I can buy you a meal."

The tiger in the far corner of the tent sat up and yawned, showing off his dagger-like teeth, then resumed his rest.

Abir looked back at him. "Sahin should probably take him hunting soon... he's looking a little lazy these days."

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
He glanced over at the tiger as it yawned, smiling knowingly before turning his attention back to the prince.

"Heh. So long as they aren't too startled by Vitae, they should be fine. Now then..." He slowly stood up.

"I'd actually prefer a little walk. It's not often I get to explore other areas of your tribe's settlement," he admitted with a small smile.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »
"Sounds fair to me," said Abir, rising up from his pillow and offering his hand to help Alden up. Once they were both standing, Abir opened the flap of their tent and led him back outside. The scent shifted from one kind of incense that burned within Abir's tent to the mix of spices and incense outside. More people had come to peruse the Fullarrow Tribe's wares, offering gold and jewels for the exotic foods, unusual pets, and fine clothing the Tribe offered.

"What do you feel in the mood for?" Abir asked. "Something spicy? Something sweet? Something salty? Or would you prefer I surprise you a bit?"

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
The collector hummed in thought as he glanced around. Already he felt uncomfortable with seeing how many more non-tribe members had arrived to make deals with the merchants. A part of him was worried someone might recognize him, blaming him for the disappearance of a child or some livestock, and make a fuss.

Still, no one seemed to mind him just yet.

Just in case, he decided to put his hood up to obscure his face a bit more.

"I'll let you surprise me. And perhaps once we retrieve our food and possibly something to drink, we can return your tent in a more...hasty manner?" he suggested in a mostly calm tone.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 11:53:35 AM »
"Anxious to get back so you can get to know me a little better and maybe kiss a little?" Abir said with a wink. "Fine by me."

Abir approached one of the merchant tents nearby, beside which a cook roasted meat over a fire, covered in spices while his wife baked flat bread in an oven made from stones stacked atop each other.

"Pardon me, dear friends," said Prince Abir with a courteous bow.

"Prince Abir!" both the cook and his wife said, bowing their heads lower out of respect.

"Rise, please," said Abir, and they did so. "I would like two gazalo wraps, please. With amchoor sauce."

"Yes, your highness," said the cook's wife.

The cook sliced off thin strips of meat from the roast and his wife took them and wrapped them up in the flat bread she'd been baking. She added an orange-colored sauce with vegetable bits in it. Once they'd done this twice, Abir slipped off one of his many rings and took both wraps.

While Prince Abir was working out that transaction, a tall man in red approached Alden.

"Is my little brother driving you crazy yet?" he asked, not a hint of a smile on his face.

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
Alden had been watching the transaction with slight interest, though he flinched when he heard another voice close to him. He quickly turned to see the man in red, taking a few seconds to recall what had just been asked.

"I take it you are one of the elder of the king's sons? In any case, your brother has been hospitable thus far. Why do you ask?" he questioned, glancing between the man and Abir.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
The man in red gave a slight bow. "I am Prince Sahin, first-born son of the king. Leader of the tribe's warriors and hunters. I'm glad to hear that my brother is making friends rather than driving people away. He is... overly-enthusiastic when outsiders agree to spend time with him. My father says it's what makes him a fine merchant and diplomat, but he's so over-bearing sometimes that he has few close friends. Well... actually, no close friends." Prince Sahin looked up at Abir as he returned with the food. "Please continue to be kind," he said, before slipping away.

Abir returned to Alden and held out one of the gazalo wraps to him. "Here you go. Try this out."

The flavor of the meat itself was savory, but the amchoor sauce on it was a mix of sweet, tangy, and spicy all at once in a way that made the flavors compliment and enhance each other. The bread in which it was wrapped prevented the spicy part of the sauce from lingering on the tongue and continuing to burn.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
Alden quirked an eyebrow upon hearing the man's words. Obviously he was worried for his brother, and he seemed to be confirming all the thoughts Alden had been suspecting about Abir being a bit lonely himself. As Sahin began to slip away from the conversation, Alden took a moment to call back and warn him, "If you're taking the tiger into the woods to hunt, don't mind the were-cat skulking about."

Once he was sure he got the message, he turned to see Abir holding out the gazalo wrap. He hesitantly took hold of it, almost unsure if he was holding it properly, before taking a small bite out of it. Upon gulping the piece down, he blinked and gazed down at the food in his hands.

"My, that is an exotic flavor." He looked over at Abir. "You've chosen well."

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2019, 12:39:36 PM »
"I always make good choices," Abir said, proudly, before starting to eat his own wrap. He took small bites, chewing especially long to savor all the flavors before swallowing each morsel.

"If that doesn't fill you up we can find something else," said Abir. He gestured to the south with his hand. "And if we go downstream, we could go for a swim, if you're interested."

He knew it was a thinly-veiled attempt to get to see Alden an uncovered torso, dripping wet, but he didn't care. His culture forbade having relations with someone who wasn't going to be your companion for life, but they never forbade looking at someone like that. Besides, Alden was not naive. Surely he already knew that Abir desired him.

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »
Alden chuckled at the suggestion to go swimming. "Don't you know it's bad for your stomach to go swimming after you eat? Besides, I'm not about to remove my clothing in front of you. Now..."

He took another careful glance back at the other market-goers, making sure no one was giving any bad looks or signs that they recognized him.

"...if we could grab something to drink and return to your tent?" he reiterated, feeling very uncomfortable with this many people around.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
At Alden's comment about not wanting to take off his clothes, Abir made a parody of a displeased face and snapped his fingers. "Damn! Well, can't blame me for trying, can you? Anyway, I'll get us drinks."

Abir left Alden's side briefly and approached a wine merchant. He plucked two coins from his sash and gave them to the merchant, who, in turn, poured him two cups of wine from his barrels. Abir returned to Alden and held out a cup to him. "Hope you like sweet, blackberry wine. Come, let's return to my tent."

Abir led Alden back to his tent and closed the flap behind them, then reclined on the seating pillow again and drank from his cup. "So, what has you so nervous? You seem like such a fearless man, it's hard to imagine why you were so paranoid in the market."

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
Alden quickly accepted the cup, only letting out a relieved sigh once they finally returned to Abir's tent. Even the strong scents of the incense weren't bothering him as much as they had initially. As he sat down on his respective cushion, he placed his cup beside him as he held the wrap with both gloved hands.

"There were too many non-tribe people out there. Someone might've recognized me. I don't exactly have the best of reputations," he noted softly, taking a large bite out of his wrap.

Offline JessicaHouse

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »
"Ah, so you're like Faruk," Abir said, taking another sip from his cup. "A good man, but one that many see as wicked. What did you do to earn such a reputation? Do people simply detest those who capture monsters and tame them rather than killing them? Or is there some deep, dark thing in your past which weighs down on your heart?"

Abir half-expected Alden to tell him it was none of his business, but he knew that if he had any chance of finding out he needed to ask, whether or not he expected Alden to answer him. He wondered if maybe he should have waited until Alden had taken more drinks of his wine before asking such questions. Wine did have a way of loosening tongues.