You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 15, 2019, 07:26:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Unpopular Movies You Like?  (Read 617 times)

Offline RedPhoenix

Re: Unpopular Movies You Like?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
The other one I loved is '13th Warrior'. At 33% RT it was I felt so much better than that rating!

Very much agreed. Love that movie. Sad that it's financial failings killed the fantasy adventure genre for years. :(

Offline Mathim

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2019, 11:34:33 PM »
Very much agreed. Love that movie. Sad that it's financial failings killed the fantasy adventure genre for years. :(

Funny, I didn't care much for the movie but I did like the book (called Eaters of the Dead originally) a whole lot.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2019, 11:45:18 PM »
I liked the book too. The movie was only very loosely based on it, I would say more "inspired" by is a better word.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2019, 12:29:02 AM »
I liked the book too. The movie was only very loosely based on it, I would say more "inspired" by is a better word.

Well, when is an adaptation ever better than the books, right?

There's a very interesting one I came across on Netflix a year or so ago and I liked how offbeat and unique it was so I bought the DVD. It's called Officer Downe, and it only got a 36%. I can see why it would rub some people the wrong way but I appreciate how unconventionally they constructed the script so I give them props for that. If you like parodies of bad kung fu movies, a touch of blaxploitation and even some zombie movie themes, you might just like it too.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. I just found out a movie I really love, Branded, only got a 9%. Unbelievable. I would have thought an artsy, thought-provoking thing like that would have gotten a much higher score. That just blows my mind.

Oh, and Will Smith's Bright. 27%. I'd give it at least a flat 50% and I want to see either a sequel or a series based on it since the premise is so intriguing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:40:35 AM by Mathim »

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:18 AM »
Well, when is an adaptation ever better than the books, right?

I think this is a fun question on it's own. The Princess Bride has been my go to "exception that proves the rule" answer for this. The book is fine, it's just not as amazing as the movie. More recently, The Devil Wears Prada and Crazy Rich Asians I think I'd also put in that category.

Oh, and Will Smith's Bright. 27%. I'd give it at least a flat 50% and I want to see either a sequel or a series based on it since the premise is so intriguing.

I liked this too but I'm a sucker for world building and this movie had a lot of it going on in the background and I think half the enjoyment I got was thinking about roleplaying in that universe. The movie itself I thought was fine, nowhere near 27% bad. I do remember reading about how it was one those movies that critics despised but fans loved.

Offline wander

• That Based Brit-lad // Geek-Nerd in a T-shirt // Come and Message Me
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Degrader, Daddy, Sadist, Master to Noone.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
John Carter (2012). It got a rotten 52%, though audiences actually gave it a 60%. As I don't put any respect into rotten tomatos anyway, I looked at imdb and they gave it 6.6, so this is probably a fringe case.
Yes, I like the novels, I'm eehhh... on some of the changes they made to make the adaptation and it's flow was off, though I really enjoyed watching Barsoom and I honestly think the film was just seen badly as it was released early, as in... If it came out today, I think it'd fare much better given how it's tropes seem more accepted in film today. I'd personally score it 8/10 myself, I'm trying not to gush about Barsoom in saying all this (and Dejah Thoris... my lordy, Dejah Thoris...).
I think it's more accepted as a cult thing nowadays than how it was really given a good kicking by everyone it seemed when it came out. We'll never get a sequel though, not only down to the revenue it took in and how meh everyone took it, though also as Disney now has Star Wars to play with and do science fantasy with.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2019, 08:17:03 AM »
Lockout (2012)

Look, trying to find decent sci-fi is hard. Trying to find decent sci-fi that doesn't feel like it has to touch the face of God every thirty seconds is even worse. I'll take some gritty well-done space Diehard.

Offline Mathim

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
The original Re-Animator got 95% but the two sequels didn't top 50%. I like the entire series (I had heard there was going to be a reboot but nothing ever happened with it, I guess) so it's a shame that they couldn't live up to the first one's score, not even half of it, in fact. Though I am curious how the third one got 1% more than the second one when I thought it was the least enjoyable of the three.

I've got a few other movies I wanted to list but some of them are direct-to-video and haven't gotten any critical reviews yet. Can we use their audience scores if that's all there is?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:58:47 AM by Mathim »

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
I'm that person who had fond childhood memories of Star Wars the Phantom Menance. I know how much infamy it has in some circles, but I always loved how it wasn't afraid to do things different compared to the original three movies.

Seeing the Jedi in their prime.

Had an underwater sub being chased by giant sea monsters.

Had droid cannon fodder instead of Stormtroopers.

A high speed race across the desert.

Darth Maul (nuff said)

Not to mention it was the first movie to have Duel of the Fates play as the Jedi and Maul battled.

It is by no means a perfect movie but it had its moments

Offline Mathim

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »
The long, boring stretches, many bland characters and the how Anakin inserted himself into the hero role in the end through such a contrived plot device were the main issues I had with it.

Would it have been so bad for Padme to also be a child his age, and her mother be the Queen? Then maybe through the Queen's tragic death at some point, and young Padme inheriting the throne, it could have ended the same way and the seeds of their future romance not been so...creepy? If Anakin was already so smitten with her then he might have, rather than by accident, given in to his anger and gotten on one of the ships to avenge Padme's mother out of hatred, and while pretending not to have done so and still being the hero, rightfully earns Yoda's suspicion and disapproval.

Also I call bullshit on the one-way laser shields that let fire out but not in on those rolly droids.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 04:23:07 PM by Mathim »

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »
Like I said. Not a perfect movie.

Offline greenknight

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 04:32:11 AM »
As long as said series is basically done with Ward and Jakoby, great. There are how many people in the LA basin and a rhetorical 1 in a million human brights? I want to see their stories and the expanded world building they require, probably in an overarching plot about how those relate to the attempted resurrection of the Dark Lord. Like, what's up with all the antlers on the orc priests/chapels and why was Mikey using a hunting rifle?

The only recurring characters should be Kandomeer and Hildebrandt, and then only every few episodes.
Oh, and who the fuck is the dragon?!

Offline Mathim

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 09:19:41 AM »
As long as said series is basically done with Ward and Jakoby, great. There are how many people in the LA basin and a rhetorical 1 in a million human brights? I want to see their stories and the expanded world building they require, probably in an overarching plot about how those relate to the attempted resurrection of the Dark Lord. Like, what's up with all the antlers on the orc priests/chapels and why was Mikey using a hunting rifle?

The only recurring characters should be Kandomeer and Hildebrandt, and then only every few episodes.
Oh, and who the fuck is the dragon?!

I need to watch that again because I'm not remembering anyone's names or that much stuff. But that's why it merits further exploration in a sequel or series.