Issues switching themes, and having those themes stay the same.

Started by Alja, July 20, 2019, 10:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alja

Hi there! I have an eye condition, which is exasperated by me being very sick since January. Long story short, my original, not compounded eye condition makes it VERY hard to look at things with bright colours, such as light themes and backgrounds. Let alone my current condition affecting the visual center of my brain. Thus, I was extremely relieved to find out that the October theme existed; I can role play and read things on the site without experiencing physical pain and discomfort.

However, for some reason, no matter WHAT I do, the default theme always comes back by itself?? This happens on all devices. I'll start a tab open with E, and the default theme will auto open. So, I navigate through the painful colours to change it to October. It lasts up until I close ALL tabs with E. If I wait a bit and come back to E, it auto switches back to the default theme. Furthermore, if I leave the page open for a long time, sometimes it just resets to default on it's own upon refresh. This is especially prevalent when accessing the site via my mobile device.

The default theme resets by itself on my tabs I have open on Chrome via my phone every morning. And I have to squint and try to locate the banner to change the theme every time. Thus, when I was approved, I immediately went in to check and see if there was a default theme I could change. There is, in look and layout; but no matter how many times I hit 'use this theme' after changing it to October, it auto switches back to the default. And, if I am in look and layout whilst currently using October and attempting to change my default theme to October, it'll change my theme back to the default upon selecting 'use this theme' after hitting 'October' from the drop down menu. And I'll have to navigate through the grey squiggles that appear in my vision every time bright colours appear together on screen.

Someone mentioned to reset cookies- but would that really help, if it's an issue that happens on multiple devices? Additionally, it perplexes me that I can't even select and change the theme in the one area to select and change the theme. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there anything I can do to fix this? It's incredibly difficult for me to look at the other, lighter themes.

Thank you! ; u;

Kye

I will ping the site owner and see if he knows, I only know the trick with look and layout.

Alja

Quote from: Kye on July 20, 2019, 11:23:21 AM
I will ping the site owner and see if he knows, I only know the trick with look and layout.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the help. ; u;!

Geraint

In the meantime, try this:

Go to "Profile" the fourth item on the menu bar below the button bar

Then click "Modify Profile"

Pick the third item on the menu that pops up  "Look and Layout"

"Current Theme" is the first Item on the page that takes you to  click on "(change)"

Ignore the top theme box and go to the bottom one that is labeled "elliquiy2"

go to the "Select Variant" drop down menu there and pick the theme you want from the list

Click "[preview theme]" if you wish, to make sure you picked the right theme for you

Then  click "[use this theme]"

That takes you back to "Modify Profile":   scroll down to the bottom right and click on "Change Profile"

That should lock in the theme you picked as your default theme.

Vekseid

Geraint's suggestion will probably help you, Alja. The quick selector is a bit more hacky unfortunately.

Amaris

By what I can tell from her explanation. She did try this:

QuoteThus, when I was approved, I immediately went in to check and see if there was a default theme I could change. There is, in look and layout; but no matter how many times I hit 'use this theme' after changing it to October, it auto switches back to the default. And, if I am in look and layout whilst currently using October and attempting to change my default theme to October, it'll change my theme back to the default upon selecting 'use this theme' after hitting 'October' from the drop down menu. And I'll have to navigate through the grey squiggles that appear in my vision every time bright colours appear together on screen.

I know you said it hurts your eyes, Alja. Would you like me to attempt to change it for you?

Alja

Quote from: Amaris on July 20, 2019, 05:26:56 PM
By what I can tell from her explanation. She did try this:

I know you said it hurts your eyes, Alja. Would you like me to attempt to change it for you?

Thank you!! Whatever you did kicked it back into whatever it was supposed to do!

Sorry, I wasn't clear before- both the first drop down menu and the second drop down menu, no matter what I selected, even if I just selected the second drop down menu would immediately change back to 'default' after hitting 'use this theme.' I was writing up a character sheet for a game, and halfway through the theme stopped changing every now and again when I hit 'preview post.' (Because I take forever, and for some reason time and not doing anything on the web pages made it flip back.) I thought something might have changed, and I appreciate you all SO much for the help!

I only just finished my post and checked everything. It appears to be working like it's supposed to now, so I'm not touching it out of fear it'll start tripping out on me again.  xD

Honestly, you all taking the time to look into it and help me out was extremely kind! Thank you SO much, this makes it way easier on my eyes.