Lost Loyalists. (40K, IG, Only War. One/One.)

Started by Lustful Bride, July 19, 2019, 03:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

In the Grim Darkness of the 42nd Millennium, there is Only War. Mankind is beset on all sides by demons, aliens, mutants, and machines from eons long forgotten with a desire to scour mankind from the stars. As if that was not a great enough challenge, there are also threats from within the Imperium of man. The hearts and minds of its citizens are poisoned by heretics and traitors, who seek to destabilize the worlds under Imperial control, and make them fall into darkness. Daily life is a constant struggle by the Imperium against countless foes that spread a cancerous influence on every world they touch.  It is through faith in the God Emperor who sits on the Golden throne that we make it through the day. It is through strength of will that we beat back the forces of the Chaos Gods. It is through our shared brotherhood as humans that we remain united against our true foe.

For ten thousand years the Chaos Gods had been kept at bay at the Eye of Terror, where their invasion into the mortal universe had been contained thanks to the Cadian system. The Imperium's best soldiers held them back for ten thousand years....but Cadia has now fallen. The news was a shock to all who heard it. Cadia Gate, had fallen. With its destruction, the Eye of Terror expanded and split the entire Galaxy in half. A major portion of it is now cut off from the Astronomicon, the only thing that makes FTL travel through the warp safe, leaving many Imperial worlds lost, abandoned, without any hope for rescue, and beset on all sides by Chaos, Xenos, and worse.

Half of the galaxy is in utter chaos while the other half is fighting a desperate battle against a crusade from Abaddon the Despoiler. The scattered Imperial remnants, must make many choices if they have any hope of holding on to Imperial territory, let alone actually surviving.

The Astropaths, couriers, and Sanctioned Psykers are doing their best to pass around word from Segmentum command but communications are sketchy, and sometimes there is no one left to pass on the message. Sometimes not every unit who gets word even wants to join up with other units, and so the Loyalists are forced to fight undermanned, with weak communications, shaky supply lines, and some of their own brethren turning traitor.

But for some its just another day in the Guard. The Imperial Guard has always had it rough, has always suffered, and has always had to deal with more horrors than it knew what to do with.

The call is put out for all loyalist units within the Segmentum to meet up or send a representative to a rendezvous point to discuss their next steps, and to distribute reinforcements and supplies. It also serves as a way for the commanders to see just what worlds are still loyal and what units they have under their command. Most of the well known units were called away to aid Cadia and so they will have to learn to make due with the homegrown forces, some of which had not fought offworld in some time, or have only fought a single type of threat.

But this isn't the first time that the Imperium has been under threat, and as before we will fight to the very end, we will ensure the threat does not reach the holy world of Terra, even if we ourselves will not survive. We do not fight for glory, we fight for our homes, our people, our very souls, against the all consuming darkness that approaches.

I am interested in playing out a campaign based on Only War or Wrath and Glory, within the Warhammer 40K setting, and all that entails. I am hoping to find a partner willing to GM it for me and possibly help me learn and play the system or preferably a system light (lyte?) version of it to help with storytelling and combat encounters so it isn't just "You automatically win/lose." I enjoy the spectrum of success and failure that comes with dice rolls.

I am looking for a game where roleplaying is just as important as the actual rolls, not a constant dungeon crawl or having to make a roll for things as simple as opening a door. I may just be being paranoid but the way I have always liked it is like this 'No rolls needed for just driving a car from point A to B. But a roll is needed to do tricks, race through traffic or tail someone while driving'. I was also hoping to find a partner who wants to have larger posts with descriptions and detail, not one liners or single sentence posts.

Some videos that may help you get an idea for more of what I am looking for.

I'm hoping that whoever choses to play along (if you are interested) will also talk things over with me and we can hammer out a fun story/campaign together and see where it takes us. I am also alright with some homebrewing elements that I think could be a lot of fun. Such as one idea I have had of adding in Skaven Loyalists who fight on behalf of the Imperium.

Example to follow.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

"Yes yes, Clan Skyre loyal to God Emperor. Loyalists till death, yes yes. Man-things were ancestors from the before times. We change but we loyal! Not like stupid clans that worhip stupid horn rat. We loyal! We always loyal! hehehe. We fight for God Emperor, so when we die we live in land of warpstone, cheese, and honey forever! YEs yessss forever. Praise be to God Emperor and Humanity!"

"Silence! Forgive us for our miscommunication, human. Some of the soldiers are not as educated in High Gothic. Some of them even struggle to speak low gothic, and always forget their manners. Colonel, please see that rifleman has his warpstone rations cut."

"Right away sir."

"Now, where were we? Ah yes! You came with the delivery of tanks and armored transports, yes yes? How lovely. Hopefully this will help us finish this nasty little insurrection off, then we can go back to civilizing the rest of the system and clans. Once mining operations are back on schedule you can tell the Munitorm to continue delivering us our rations of warpstone. Oh you never heard of warpstone? Well its a kind of drug our people have collectively developed a taste for. Its easy to make but our world can barely support life. Best way to get the materials to manufacture it, or just warpstone, is from shipments off worlds. We can get a little crazy if we go more than a month without it."

"Uh pardon the intrusion my lord, but the Techpriests are demanding to see our STC schematics for the 'you know what' again."

"Ahh, forgive me human, but the Emperor's work is never done. Scribe, please see the newcomer to their quarters and get her settled in, and make sure it is in the barracks properly designed for our fully human cousins. I shall see you later human, I would be most delighted to speak with you later.

If you are curious and would like to see more of what I have come up for it, I have a Worldbuilding thread that you can check out. If you are interested in this fee free to PM me and we can talk.

Lustful Bride

Update: I have now gotten PDFs of (as far as I know) all the Only War books, so I am more capable of properly playing within the setting and checking rules.

Lustful Bride

Bump: New Year, and been hit with an urge to serve humanity and do battle against the countless Xenos, Demons, and Traitors, that threaten it.