You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

July 25, 2021, 11:19:03 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: 'Solo' role-playing threads with an extra partner?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
'Solo' role-playing threads with an extra partner?
« on: June 18, 2019, 04:18:58 pm »
Sometimes I see the rare solo thread with a third wheel (partner). I understand that some rare stories might need this little bit of reinforcement. Even one that might have a continuous change of hands (One partner with a rotation of many single partners). I was wondering what sort of situations where this would be fine and when it would just be time to make a small group. The way I perceived it:

It is okay to have a third partner in a solo thread (given that the dynamic doesn't really change all that much). But when you get any more 'regular' partners to participate, it would then be time to consider forming a small group game.

So... do I have this right?

Offline Mirrah

• ... Endless rain, fall on my heart...
  • Centurion
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
Re: 'Solo' role-playing threads with an extra partner?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:23:08 pm »
There is no hard and fast rule for when it becomes a group game--when the writers decide they'd like to turn it from 3 people in the solo section to a group game, is up for them to decide. I know it may seem odd, seeing as the section is called "solo" but it's okay there, especially if they don't expect it to grow into a bigger group/game.

Offline DallasTopic starter

• World-Building Enthusiast, Dramatic Smut and Plot Weaver, Friend to All; Doors Always Open
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • I roleplay with new members, too! Hit me up!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 04:34:07 pm »
Ah, I see. Thanks, Mirrah!  :-)

Offline CriminalMindsFan

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:35:03 pm »
Interesting question and subject. I don't think I've ever thought of a third wheel in reference to roleplays prior to seeing it mentioned here.

Offline Nymphadora

• Tonks, if she were shy. The knitting Nymph. Nymphadorable. Nymphy ♥
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • You can't take the sky from me.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 04:49:27 pm »
My understanding had always been more towards the number of threads in a game.

A 'solo' game has one thread for the game only even if there are a small handful of people. OOC likely happening in PM or on chat.

A 'group' game would have more than one thread as well as a number of people. I know there is a limit to the number of threads per active person in the group game as well.

I have been part of trios and more with one thread only and it has been in the Group game side of things. I understood there was no hard and fast rule on that sort of 'solo' small group of people playing out in the Group games forum but multi-thread group games MUST be in the group forum.