We Could Be Heroes: Super Sexy Superheroes Big Game Recruitment (SEEKING ALL)

Started by Vergil Tanner, May 17, 2019, 09:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Right! So, to cut a long story short before I start rambling, We Could Be Heroes is a long-term Superhero Day One game based in New York State in America in the modern (ish) day. We are coming up to our fifth anniversary, and find ourselves in need of some new blood! The story hasn't advanced too far just yet, because WCBH is a much more relaxed game. A post every week or so is perfectly acceptable, as long as you stick around and have fun!

So to celebrate our near-fifth-year-anniversary, we're opening up a gleaming new Recruitment Thread, with some plans on recruiting some new people for the game. I'm planning on a new Event that gives a new wave of teenagers some powers as a group, so you have the kids who got them a couple of months ago, and the people who got them just now! You can choose which group you want to be part of. :-) So don't be intimidated! :D Everybody here is super welcoming and friendly, and always up for new connections and new players!

We are looking for MEN AND WOMEN! We are leaning towards men, since we currently only have two male characters and four females, but we will not be turning away females if you want to pitch them. Needless to say, we are LGBTQA+ Friendly, and those of Bi / Homo / Pan / Demi / A / Transsexual / Transvestite / Non Binary / Etc  persuasion are more than welcome!

Anyway! The story!

The RP follows a group of senior High School students who have just started their final year of High School at a prestigious public school named "Malcolm Wheeler High," and at the start of the game obtained their powers through a mysterious event at the annual Senior Ski Trip towards the start of term. Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School is a large, comprehensive high school that serves the needs of a diverse student body. It has a world famous STEM program that feeds int Cal-tech and a theatre program that has graduated more then it's fair share of stars. It's faculty are all thought leaders in their field of expertise and hail from all corners of the globe. More students graduate and go to top colleges and universities then any other high school in the area and the financial aid rewards, in aggregate, are the highest as well. The crown jewel of the school district, it is a shining example of successful education in the 21st century. 

All characters are either students or staff from Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School in New York (state). They've spent at least a year in school together sharing classes, attending school events and living in the same community so even the "Loner" is a known quantity, if only cursorily. The game originally started in mid-October when the students were on a school trip to the Copper Mountain Ski Resort in Colorado. They were, to all intents and purposes, normal teenagers with their own various issues and dramas as per High School norm, and all had their own dreams and hopes for the future, whether it was looking to go to university, get an Apprenticeship, go into the family business or even just survive day to day due to their own personal circumstances. You have bookworms and nerds, you have goths and punks and Cheerleaders, you have Jocks and loners and over and underachievers of all stripes and colours. None of them were particularly abnormal by human standards, and none of them really have anything out of the ordinary in their futures....until The Event.TM Whilst on their Winter Ski Trip, a mysterious earthquake rocked the Resort and, after everybody had been accounted for, life returned to normal...until certain members of the year start manifesting odd, unnatural abilities. They started small...then began to grow into something powerful, quickly becoming unmanageable if they aren't mastered.

Soon after, even weirder things start happening around MWH; Supervillains start crawling out of the woodwork, odd supernatural phenomenons occur with increasing regularity and everything from impromptu musicals to Eldritch Abominations seeking to invade our plane of existence must be thwarted if the cast are to live to see the next "Big Fad" or "Juicy Gossip." This will be a slightly tongue in cheek, lighthearted game...but things can and will get dark at times. It really depends on the players!

Of course, there are few restrictions on the powers, and will be considered on a Case-By-Case basis. Just bear in mind; this is
A) A DAY ONE game.
B) NOT Marvel or DC. The Power Scale will be FAR lower than that kind of strength level. We are looking at a host of street-level powers that band together to fight threats far more powerful than them. Examples of roughly equivalent heroes include:
- Daredevil (standard, super-senses but no extra bells and whistles Daredevil, akin to the Netflix show)
- Taskmaster: Threatening in his own way, but not about to beat up the Avengers.
- Red Hood: No real powers, but super skilled in his own way. Fights with the Teen Titans, but isn't really Justice League level.
- The Black Knight: Pretty powerful, but nowhere near strong enough for the A-List. At the moment, anyway.

Basically, we want you to choose ONE power theme and focus on it. We will help you balance it properly in the process, but if you come in wanting super strength, flight, speed and laser vision...You'll be told "No" pretty firmly. :P

Now I must stress this: Nobody has experience with their powers. Part of this RP is exploring how these characters discover and react to their abilities, and chronicling how they get experience and what they do with them. Whilst many, many future plotlines are being planned, this is primarily a character driven RP. If you are looking for just mindless fight after random encounter, it is probably best to look elsewhere. Fights and altercations and drama are encouraged, of course, but only if they make sense given the characters.

So! I am looking for a cast of interesting, fleshed out, unique and balanced characters. They don't have to be emotionally or mentally stable - in fact, it is encouraged that they have their own issues, since that makes it interesting - but they do have to be playable and fit into the setting. Sociopaths, Psychotics, Schizophrenics, etc etc are not banned, but MUST be handled with care. Many of these conditions are sensitive issues, and if you do not feel confident in your ability to portray them accurately or sensitively, then please refrain from using them. Additionally, we would prefer to have no social pariahs or loners or people who suffer from social disabilities that prevent them from getting involved. Whilst these people do exist, of course, from a meta point of view they are very difficult to Roleplay in an engaging and interesting way since they - by necessity - cannot easily get involved with proceedings. This is just to make sure that everybody has a way to get involved, and to keep it interesting for you and the other players. Similarly, please no Mary Sue's, Gary Stu's or power-fantasy vehicles. They must be interesting, balanced characters. This is strictly mandatory.

- To start with, nobody gets more than one character. Second characters will be open to you once you've gotten into the game and gotten settled. I will have two characters, but that's because they are a "Package Deal" in how they are designed and I will be forgoing my option for a second character later on. :-)

- I would prefer no double up on powers. Currently, the powers possessed by our approved characters are:

Photographic Cognitive and Reflexive Memory with enhanced thinking capacity and speed.
Suggestive Persuasion via proximity and touch.
Animal Communication
Peak Human Physical Performance (Limited)
Clairvoyance (Future Sight)
(Near) Invulnerability
Super Strength
Plant-based Biological Genetic Engineering
Empathic Healing

Please try not to take one of these powers. You will be asked to change your power if you do so.

- Please commit to being active in the community. We want you to be an active voice in the creative process, so we don't just want a new character, we want an eager and excited participant.

If you're still reading, well...you must be interested! So I shall get onto how to apply now.

1) Concept. You will post here what your concept is. Questions will be asked by me, and requests made to edit certain details until the character fits the setting properly. Students and staff members alike are "Fair Game."

2) The successful characters will be moved to the Second Stage. In this stage, every other character and player will be able to have a freeform discussion on how their characters link together. You will then fill out a "Yearbook," which details how your character knows the others...since all characters must have been at the school for at least a year-ish, everybody would have at least heard of each other.

3) Approval. I will post your bio in the Approved Character thread, and you will be given access to the OOC Chatterbox, where most off topic chat happens. You will also be allowed to post your characters intro post.

This thread is simply an Interest Check; the game has reached Big Game Status, so all of the character discussions shall happen in the relative privacy of the board. This thread is simply to recruit new players, help you come up with a decent concept, and get you introduced to the process. Once you have a concept approved, I will give you a link to the New Player Welcome Thread, where your application will begin in earnest. So for now, all I need from you is the following:

Sex: Male / Female / Other?
Position: Student or Teacher?
Archetype: Nerd? Cheerleader? Athlete? Bully? Etc etc?
Power Theme: Give me a quick summary of the general theme of your powers. In depth description isn't necessary at this stage.

Once the above has been approved, then we can start building a proper bio.

Please, only submit Archetype Concepts in this thread; the full bios will come later. :-)

Click to view the Active Character Bios,

Click to view the Complete Character Archive!

~~ Approved Characters / Players ~~

Males (2):

- Dante Young [Vergil Tanner]
- Thomas Belmont [Giantmutantcrab]

Females (6):

- Grace Young [Vergil Tanner]
- Juniper Wrigley [Mael]
- Nadra Tahira Darzi [Cessali]
- Rachel Ray Masters [RobyntheWitch]
- Sarah Rav [Krys]
- Cassandra Moreaux-Michaels [PentheWonderful] [On Hiatus]

Other (1):

- Luv Smith [Greydreamer]

~~ Reserved Faceclaims ~~

Current Cast:

Eric Belanger [Dante E. Young] By Vergil Tanner
Kari Nautique [Grace E. Young] By Vergil Tanner
Lorde [Juniper Renae Wrigley] By Mael
Unknown [Nadra Tahira Darzi] By Jarick
Vika Bronova [Cassandra Moreaux-Michaels] By PentheWonderful
Anton Antipov [Thomas Belmont] By Giantmutantcrab
Jessica Nigri [Rachel Rae Masters] By RobyntheWitch
Lucca Hollestelle [Sarah Rav] By Krys
Ramoan Bruce [Luv Smith] By Greydreamer

Applicants:

Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Jack of Jacks

Name: Luv
Sexuality: Cis-males, Trans-males, AMAB Folks
Position: Student
Archetype: New-Age Hippie
Power Theme: Empathic Healing

This ability for the user to heal another's emotional wounds, burdens, and traumas via touch. The main application for this power are suggested to be: negating negative emotions in the target, allowing the target to see the brighter side of things (possibly by making good memories stronger in their mind), keeping the target safe from insanity inducement/mental breakdown, and healing emotional traumas/wounds in the target.

I'd imagine some of these applications would not be possible without more experience in a novice. I am thinking that there should be a cap to how effective the power's application is, even if the user spends a great amount of time channeling it while touching another individual. Perhaps, the better one is at using this power the more effective an application of this power can be?

Vergil Tanner

Oooh, so an Empathic Soother, then? That's an interesting concept indeed! Hmm...

Ok, so...yes, I agree, there should be a cap to the efficiency, and there should be certain conditions that the power is less effective on. EG, Depression isn't as simple as "making the person feel better," y'know?

Let me think...Ok, so...the obvious progressions from Novice to Master would be efficiency, conditions affected and how long it lasts. So what were you thinking in regards to those three things?

EG,
Novice: Can sooth general discomfort and fear, can calm spiking emotions by a step or two. Must touch the target, the time that this soothing effect lasts = the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10?
An example, but you get the idea.

Also, HOW does it soothe? Does it take those emotions away, or does it add a soothing pulse that encourages the growth of more positive emotions to balance out the negative ones? Basically, does he reduce an emotion, or increase the others?

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

ChicagoOkie

I'm interested. Here is my concept.

Sex: Male
Archetype: Musician
Power Theme:  Telekinesis
Random PM's welcome.
Available for the right story.
O/Os Updated story ideas. May/9/2021
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Vergil Tanner

Heyya Okie!

SO! Telekinesis! An oldy but a goody! The obvious questions regarding the limitations are the old standards:
-- Weight Limit: What's the heaviest thing he can pick up?
-- Speed: How fast can he move them?
-- Range: How far away can he affect things?
-- Costs: What cost does he pay for using this ability? Does he knacker out faster, or does it strain his mind in unique ways? Etc etc.
-- Versatility: Can he ONLY pick things up and move them about, or can he do things like creating telekinetic bubbles and walls and the like ?

Jack of Jacks

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 12:18:53 AM
Oooh, so an Empathic Soother, then? That's an interesting concept indeed! Hmm...

Ok, so...yes, I agree, there should be a cap to the efficiency, and there should be certain conditions that the power is less effective on. EG, Depression isn't as simple as "making the person feel better," y'know?

Let me think...Ok, so...the obvious progressions from Novice to Master would be efficiency, conditions affected and how long it lasts. So what were you thinking in regards to those three things?

EG,
Novice: Can sooth general discomfort and fear, can calm spiking emotions by a step or two. Must touch the target, the time that this soothing effect lasts = the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10?
An example, but you get the idea.

Also, HOW does it soothe? Does it take those emotions away, or does it add a soothing pulse that encourages the growth of more positive emotions to balance out the negative ones? Basically, does he reduce an emotion, or increase the others?

Maybe the level of mental stress the user is under could effect the effectiveness of the power? (mental stress= anxiety, distress, grief, depression, trauma, etc.)

Like under mild mental stress: the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate: the amount of time the contact was maintained x 5 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe: the amount of time the contact was maintained x 3 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

A suggestion would be that those digit values could increase as mastery over this power also increases. At absolute full mastery, I imagine specific emotional traumas could be healed permanently (not mental traumas or ailments like chronic anxiety, schizophrenia, brain damage, etc.). EG of emotional trauma could be the grief of losing one's parent, reliving the memory of having a near-death experience, and the pain of being betrayed by a close friend.

He increases other emotions to overpower the negative ones.

Vergil Tanner

I like all of that, except the "Permanent" thing. Moral questions over whether you SHOULD do that aside (that would be for individual characters to decide), I'm not sure that saying you could "Heal" emotional distress permanently would really be the best Mastery. Perhaps his Mastery is more about being able to alleviate more complex and long running conditions. Perhaps at Mastery Level, he can soothe more serious cases like Phobias and PTSD and Panic Attacks induced by clinical anxiety, or perhaps even momentarily grant relief from things like Dementia by calming the mind and bridging the damaged "gaps" in their brain. Not for long, but longer than they otherwise would have had. That would be a more in-line Mastery than being able to remove the grief of losing ones parents for the rest of their life xD

Jack of Jacks

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 01:26:13 AM
I like all of that, except the "Permanent" thing. Moral questions over whether you SHOULD do that aside (that would be for individual characters to decide), I'm not sure that saying you could "Heal" emotional distress permanently would really be the best Mastery. Perhaps his Mastery is more about being able to alleviate more complex and long running conditions. Perhaps at Mastery Level, he can soothe more serious cases like Phobias and PTSD and Panic Attacks induced by clinical anxiety, or perhaps even momentarily grant relief from things like Dementia by calming the mind and bridging the damaged "gaps" in their brain. Not for long, but longer than they otherwise would have had. That would be a more in-line Mastery than being able to remove the grief of losing ones parents for the rest of their life xD

I see what you're saying. Rather than seemingly erase these major problems, being able to help people cope better and soothe temporarily seems like an ideal mastery.

ChicagoOkie

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 12:52:23 AM
Heyya Okie!

SO! Telekinesis! An oldy but a goody! The obvious questions regarding the limitations are the old standards:
-- Weight Limit: What's the heaviest thing he can pick up?
-- Speed: How fast can he move them?
-- Range: How far away can he affect things?
-- Costs: What cost does he pay for using this ability? Does he knacker out faster, or does it strain his mind in unique ways? Etc etc.
-- Versatility: Can he ONLY pick things up and move them about, or can he do things like creating telekinetic bubbles and walls and the like ?

Since it is a Day Zero situation, I was thinking pretty basic to start.
-- Weight Limit:  Maybe 20 pounds without straining himself, but if he tries really hard maybe 50 pounds for a few seconds.
-- Speed:  Hmm...maybe 3 mph at his fastest.
-- Range:  I was thinking about a 12 foot diameter around him.
-- Costs:  Mental fatigue to the point he would be as if he had been awake for an extended period of time.
-- Versatility:  Yes, I was thinking for starters he would only be able to pick things up and move them about.
Random PM's welcome.
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Vergil Tanner

Greydreamer:

Quote from: Greydreamer on May 18, 2019, 01:36:26 AM
I see what you're saying. Rather than seemingly erase these major problems, being able to help people cope better and soothe temporarily seems like an ideal mastery.

I was thinking that, too! Would you mind drawing up a preliminary Novice ---> Intermediate ---> Mastery summary, involving extra abilities and increases in numbers? Then I can look at them, tweak them, then approve them :D

Okie:

Quote from: ChicagoOkie on May 18, 2019, 01:38:35 AM
Since it is a Day Zero situation, I was thinking pretty basic to start.
-- Weight Limit:  Maybe 20 pounds without straining himself, but if he tries really hard maybe 50 pounds for a few seconds.
-- Speed:  Hmm...maybe 3 mph at his fastest.
-- Range:  I was thinking about a 12 foot diameter around him.
-- Costs:  Mental fatigue to the point he would be as if he had been awake for an extended period of time.
-- Versatility:  Yes, I was thinking for starters he would only be able to pick things up and move them about.

I have no issues with those numbers at all! Would you mind suggesting an Intermediate level and Mastery Level abilities as well, just so we have a decent roadmap of where and how he's going to develop? Ta muchly ^_^

ChicagoOkie

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 01:45:10 AM
I have no issues with those numbers at all! Would you mind suggesting an Intermediate level and Mastery Level abilities as well, just so we have a decent roadmap of where and how he's going to develop? Ta muchly ^_^

Intermediate
Weight Limit:  200 pounds, 350 max. General idea is one good sized person and two if he strained himself.
Speed:  Something the size of a pen 20 mph, but something like a person would be 3 mph
Range:  50 feet
Costs:  Cost would stay the same, but only at greater weight and range. So, his previous weight and range would cause no fatigue.
Versatility:  Greater dexterity, able to manipulate finer things. A minor shield that can cover himself and only withstand a few hits.

Mastery
Weight Limit:  600 pounds, 900 max. General idea is about 3 good sized people and 5 if he strained.
Speed:  A pen at 40 mph, 200 lbs. 10 mph, 600 lbs. 5 mph
Range:  150 feet
Costs:  Cost would stay the same, but only at greater weight and range. So, his previous weight and range would cause little to no fatigue.
Versatility:  Ability to manipulate things that he couldn't possibly manipulate with his bare hands, such as the inner workings of a watch. Shield is much stronger, able to with stand all but the strongest of strikes and can provide cover for a small group at close range.
Random PM's welcome.
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Jack of Jacks

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 01:45:10 AM
Greydreamer:

I was thinking that, too! Would you mind drawing up a preliminary Novice ---> Intermediate ---> Mastery summary, involving extra abilities and increases in numbers? Then I can look at them, tweak them, then approve them :D

Empathic healing

The ability for the user to soothe another's emotional wounds, burdens, and traumas via touch for a limited amount of time.

Novice - Unable to soothe intense emotional turmoil, brain disorders, or severe mental illnesses.

Can soothe various levels of mental stress.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 5 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 3 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Intermediate - Unable to soothe brain disorders or severe mental illnesses. Extreme emotional turmoil (grief, resentment, fear) can be soothed for up to an hour at a time, and requires thirty minutes of touch channeling for the healing effect to activate in the target.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 15 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 7 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 4 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Mastery - soothing intense emotional turmoil, brain disorders, or severe mental illnesses is possible and has it's own category now: Critical Mental Stress.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x
20 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 5 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Critical mental stress (major depression, dementia, phobias, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 3 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Vergil Tanner

Okie:

Whoah, that's a helluva jump! xD  How about...

Intermediate
Weight Limit: 100 pounds, 250 max. So, his power has increased by a factor of 5.
Speed:  Something the size of a pen 15 mph, but something like a person would be 3 mph
Range:  30 feet

QuoteVersatility:  Greater dexterity, able to manipulate finer things. A minor shield that can cover himself and only withstand a few hits.

Would you mind defining "A Few Hits?" Like...a few hits from what? Normal punches, or The Hulk? :P

Mastery
Weight Limit:  600 pounds, 800 max
Speed:  A pen at 50 mph, 200 lbs. 20 mph, 600 lbs. 10 mph
Range:  100 feet

QuoteAbility to manipulate things that he couldn't possibly manipulate with his bare hands, such as the inner workings of a watch.

He still has to be able to see them to manipulate them, however.

QuoteShield is much stronger, able to with stand all but the strongest of strikes and can provide cover for a small group at close range.

Again, define "strong strikes" and "Close range." Also, how LONG can he maintain this field? Even if things aren't hitting it, he's projecting an aura rather than holding something, so surely that takes effort to maintain? :-)

Dreamer:

That all looks good! Would you mind adding in examples of what he can and can't soothe at each level? Like, a brief list of 3 - 5 things that he can and can't do, so we get a general idea?

Of course, any soothing will have to be done with the players consent, but that's obvious :-)

Jack of Jacks

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 02:31:54 AM

Dreamer:

That all looks good! Would you mind adding in examples of what he can and can't soothe at each level? Like, a brief list of 3 - 5 things that he can and can't do, so we get a general idea?

Of course, any soothing will have to be done with the players consent, but that's obvious :-)

yee so here's what i got:

Novice examples -  Helping someone calm down after being scared by an animal, clearing someones mind temporarily so they can think straight past their worry over a test, but cannot help someone cope with deep seeded hate towards another person.

Intermediate examples - cannot erase bad memories of another person to help alleviate an intense negative emotion, or magically divine the solution to overcoming a fear towards something, but the user can help negate the intensity of resentment in a target so they can interact with their enemy without outbursting at them.

Mastery examples - the user can help alleviate a ptsd patient's symptoms for a limited amount of time so they can go out and interact with the world without becoming distressed, stop a schizophrenic from hallucinating for a limited amount of time so they can focus on a task, but they cannot cure anyone of any chronic illness or disorder.

Vergil Tanner

Awesome! Compile that into a unified Powers Entry, and I think we're good to go! :D Compile it all, and then I'll reread to make sure, then we'll be able to move on :D

Jack of Jacks

Name: Luv
Sexuality: Cis-males, Trans-males, AMAB Folks
Archetype: New-Age Hippie
Power Theme: Empathic Healing

Empathic healing

The ability for the user to soothe another's emotional wounds, burdens, and traumas via touch for a limited amount of time.

Novice - Unable to soothe intense emotional turmoil, brain disorders, or severe mental illnesses.

Can soothe various levels of mental stress.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 5 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 3 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Novice examples of applications: Helping someone calm down after being scared by an animal, clearing someones mind temporarily so they can think straight past their worry over a test, but cannot help someone cope with deep seeded hate towards another person.

Intermediate - Unable to soothe brain disorders or severe mental illnesses. Extreme emotional turmoil (grief, resentment, fear) can be soothed for up to an hour at a time, and requires thirty minutes of touch channeling for the healing effect to activate in the target.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 15 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 7 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 4 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Intermediate examples of application: cannot erase bad memories of another person to help alleviate an intense negative emotion, or magically divine the solution to overcoming a fear towards something, but the user can help negate the intensity of resentment in a target so they can interact with their enemy without outbursting at them.

Mastery - soothing intense emotional turmoil, brain disorders, or severe mental illnesses is possible and has it's own category now: Critical Mental Stress.

mild mental stress (discomfort, worry, disappointment, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x
20 = the  amount of time the healing effect lasts

Moderate mental stress (sadness, anxious, embarrassment, etc.) : the amount of time the contact was maintained x 10 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Severe mental stress (shame, despair, panic, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 5 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Critical mental stress (major depression, dementia, phobias, etc.): the amount of time the contact was maintained x 3 = the amount of time the healing effect lasts

Mastery examples of Application- the user can help alleviate a ptsd patient's symptoms for a limited amount of time so they can go out and interact with the world without becoming distressed, stop a schizophrenic from hallucinating for a limited amount of time so they can focus on a task, but they cannot cure anyone of any chronic illness or disorder.

Vergil Tanner

Awesome! Looks good! I'll be contacting you in private to tell you what to do next :D

ChicagoOkie

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 02:31:54 AM
Okie:

Whoah, that's a helluva jump! xD  How about...

Intermediate
Weight Limit: 100 pounds, 250 max. So, his power has increased by a factor of 5.
Speed:  Something the size of a pen 15 mph, but something like a person would be 3 mph

Would you mind defining "A Few Hits?" Like...a few hits from what? Normal punches, or The Hulk? :P

Mastery
Weight Limit:  600 pounds, 800 max

He still has to be able to see them to manipulate them, however.

Again, define "strong strikes" and "Close range." Also, how LONG can he maintain this field? Even if things aren't hitting it, he's projecting an aura rather than holding something, so surely that takes effort to maintain? :-)

Yeah sorry, don’t create characters while mentally drained. Hopefully this is better.

Intermediate
Weight Limit:  100 pounds, 250 max
Costs:  Cost would stay the same, but only at greater weight and range. So, his previous weight and range would cause no fatigue.
Versatility:  Greater dexterity, able to manipulate finer things. He still has to be able to see what he wants to manipulate. A minor shield that can cover himself.
Shield Size:  6 feet in diameter.
Shield Range:  1 foot away
Shield Time Limit:  10 minutes or until broken. If broken can’t be used again for at least an hour.
Shield Damage Limit:  Can withstand a weight of 100 pounds, or a 3 to 4 regular punches. Anything higher will break it.
Shield Cost: Mental fatigue, broken shield causes extreme mental fatigue.

Mastery
Weight Limit:  600 pounds, 800 max.
Costs:  Cost would stay the same, but only at greater weight and range. So, his previous weight and range would cause little to no fatigue.
Versatility:  Ability to manipulate things that he couldn't possibly manipulate with his bare hands, such as the inner workings of a watch. He still has to be able to see them to manipulate them, however. Shield is much stronger.
Shield Size:  12 feet in diameter
Shield Range:  5 feet
Shield Time Limit:  1 hour or until broken. If broken can’t be used again for at least an hour.
Shield Damage Limit:  Can withstand a weight of 500 pounds, or a barrage of bullets, attacks from an average person can’t harm it. Higher weight or something like a bomb blast will break it.
Shield Cost:  Mental fatigue, broken shield causes extreme mental fatigue.
Random PM's welcome.
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Athem

Name: Glass
Sex: Female
Archetype: Mix of Cheerleader & Athlete - she's a cheerleader, but also on the swim team as a diver.
Power Theme: invisibility

She can turn invisible just fine. Unfortunately, only the clothes she was wearing at The Event can turn invisible with her, and a ski-suit is miserable to wear in warm weather.

Vergil Tanner

Okie:

I would say that the shield should last 5 Minutes for Intermediate, and half an hour at Mastery.
Other than that, it looks good! Did you want to add anything, or have any questions before we move on? :-)

Achmed:

Heyya Achmed! Welcome aboard!

I have to say, I laughed out loud when I read the stipulation xD That is a very fun caveat xD

So the obvious questions are:

-- How long can she turn invisible for?
-- What are the costs of her invisibility?
-- How long does it take her to turn invisible?

It's a pretty simple power, so I don't see this part taking too long ^_^

ChicagoOkie

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 09:31:41 PM
Okie:

I would say that the shield should last 5 Minutes for Intermediate, and half an hour at Mastery.
Other than that, it looks good! Did you want to add anything, or have any questions before we move on? :-)

I don't think there's anything else I want to add. Can't think of any questions.
Random PM's welcome.
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Vergil Tanner

Athem

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 18, 2019, 09:31:41 PM
So the obvious questions are:

-- How long can she turn invisible for?
-- What are the costs of her invisibility?
-- How long does it take her to turn invisible?

Turning invisible is essentially instant. However...
Novice
The invisibility only lasts about 15 minutes.
It requires some concentration; she can do simple tasks like talking or walking at the same time, but it'll drop if she starts fighting, and a sudden shock can also cause her to drop it.
Once it drops, it takes about an hour before she can use it again.
Intermediate
The invisibility lasts about an hour.
It requires less concentration. She can now fight while invisible, but a sudden shock or surprise can still cause her to drop it.
The recharge is reduced to 15 minutes.
She can now make her clothes invisible, but only what she was wearing when she transformed. If the villains attack at night, she's a superheroine in PJs.
Mastery
The invisibility lasts as long as she's awake, and can be freely restarted. Clothes turn invisible when worn.

At all levels, much of the cost is the mundane problems it causes. She can't see herself, so she has no hand-eye coordination while invisible: something as simple as a keypad requires carefully working out which button her finger is on before pushing it - smooth touchpads/touchscreens are especially bad; casually grabbing for a glass will knock it over; etc (this improves as she reaches Intermediate and Mastery, but never goes away entirely). Other people can't see her, so she has to take care they don't bump into her (and she has to be very careful around traffic). And anything that requires seeing her face (such as unlocking her phone) doesn't work while she's invisible. Below Mastery, anything on her skin or clothes (like rain) can render her somewhat visible, which also means she either restricts herself to makeup she can wipe off easily or has an eerily-visible sort-of face...

The slightly good news is that she's from a wealthy enough family that her ski-suit is an expensive retro-styled one from Cordova, so it's merely too warm rather than too bulky as well.
https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/product/1089071/Cordova/the-aspen-striped-ski-suit

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Achmed the Mad on May 19, 2019, 01:31:20 AM
Turning invisible is essentially instant. However...

Makes sense!

Quote from: Achmed the Mad on May 19, 2019, 01:31:20 AMMastery
The invisibility lasts as long as she's awake, and can be freely restarted. Clothes turn invisible when worn.

I'd say it still takes a recharge. If we increase the recharge of Intermediate to 30 minutes, we can impose a ten minute recharge to Mastery as her body "acclimates" and "recharges?"

Aside from that...I don't see any major issues with it. I'll need to sleep on it and get some second opinions, but on a preliminary inspection? It looks all good! Do you have any questions, suggestions or requests before we potentially move on? :D

Athem

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 19, 2019, 09:43:02 AM
I'd say it still takes a recharge. If we increase the recharge of Intermediate to 30 minutes, we can impose a ten minute recharge to Mastery as her body "acclimates" and "recharges?"

Sounds good.