Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

From the skysteel towers of Archades,
to the darkest slums of Lowtown.
From the swirling sands of the Ogir-Yensa,
to the bitter ice of Paramina Rift.
Ivalice be a land of wonder and magick.
What wonders will your tale hold?

Looking for a group of players who would be interested in exploring the wonders and magic of Ivalice, the world of Final Fantasy Tactics and of FF12-with a possible guess appearance in FF14, if Lady Fran's appearance is anything...

I am seeking a party willing to brave the dark corners of Ivalice, adventurers who wish to plump the depths of the forgotten past for honor, loot, and all other manners of rewards, but take care, lest the dark history of Ivalice claim YOU instead! While I don't have any concrete details yet, the following ideas are what I will aim for:

• We will use Pathfinder rules for this, starting at 3rd level
  • The many races of Ivalice will be presented, though i will need to do stat writeups for them.
  • The events of this game will take place 50 years prior to the events of FF12. The game will be disconnected from all other games, as Tactics is long in the future and Tactics Advance was a fever dream.

Sound like your cup of tea? Swing on by then! Say hello! Give me ideas for races, cause I got little to fuck all! We have racial blocks!

Hume
Use the standard human racial splat for this-extra feats and skills, you know this drill.

Viera
Born and raised in the deep forests of Ivalice, Viera are most known for their tall, slender figures and eye-catching bunny ears. Many a foolish hume has attempted to touch or stroke a Viera’s ears, however, Viera are distrustful of humes and will only allow those they trust to even come close to them. They seem to not mind stares, or at least, their cold demeanors keep them from saying much. Most Viera are skilled in forms of combat and crafting, and seem to have an intrinsic bond with nature. Those that choose the adventurer’s life have a tendency towards Druids and Rangers, but there are also alchemists, sorcerers, wizards, and more among their numbers. Few males have ever been found, it seems that male Viera build even more secluded enclaves than the women do, and are much fewer in number.

Stats:
Humanoid (Viera) Type, Medium Size, Speed 30
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution (Their limber bodies and ability to commune with the wood lead to flexibility and a deeper understanding of the world, but their bodies are also frail)
Craftsman: Viera gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft and Profession checks to create objects from wood or plants. At GM discretion, this can include trades such as alchemy and cooking if the ingredients are mostly natural.
Stalker: Due to their upbringing and need to know all that is in the Wood without being revealed themselves, Perception and Stealth are always class skills for the Viera.
Spell Like Ability, Speak with Plants: Even far from home, the Green Word reaches the ears of the Viera. 1/day, a Viera may cast speak with plants, with caster level equal to her character level.
Swift as Shadows: Viera reduce the penalty for moving at full speed while using Stealth by 5, and reduce the penalty for sniping by 10.
Terrain Stride: Viera may move through difficult terrain in forests at no penalty. Magically altered terrain slows as normal.
Low Light Vision: Viera may see twice as far as humes in low light conditions.

Bangaa
Bangaa are the race that have integrated the most into hume society, as their own society is very social and a natural fit for hume society. While they resemble hume-sized bipedal lizards, they hate being referred to as such. Bangaa can be found in every part of hume society, working as laborers, merchants, bounty hunters, and more. Bangaa adventurers tend towards more martial classes, though Bangaa bards are known to be terrifying presences on the battlefield. They are just as dangerous in the cities, however-many a hume has found themselves happily parting with gil at a Bangaa merchant’s insistence, so a clear head is required to walk any Bangaa heavy marketplace!

Stats:
Monstrous Humanoid Type, Medium, Speed 30
+2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity (Bangaas are easy to get along with and have stout constitutions that allow for them to spend a long time drinking, but their bodies seem to be less flexible compared to humes)
Scent: Bangaa have the Scent ability due to their powerful noses.
Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds a Bangaa for 1 round, and they remain dazzled for as long as the light persists. Bangaa have poor eyesight that is easily disrupted by flashes.
Integrated: Bangaa gain a +1 racial bonus on Bluff, Disguise, and Knowledge (Local) checks, as they are deeply integrated with hume society.
Slapping Tail: When making an attack of opportunity, Bangaa can use their tail instead of their weapons. This is a natural attack that deals 1d8+Strength modifier of damage.
Darkvision 60 feet: Bangaa can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Nu Mou
A race of dog-like humanoids, the Nu Mou are renowned for their great intellect. Many Nu Mou tend to the grand temple on Mt. Bur-Omisace, but they are not the only breed. Nu Mou can be found in many places, and often take to arcane pursuits or other scholarly delights. Nu Mou adventurers are often mages of some degree, as their small stature does not lend well to martial pursuits. Nu Mou prefer to avoid the bustling human cities, as their size and slow pace put them at odds with the speed of a city like Archades or Rabanastre.

Stats:
Humanoid (Nu Mou), Small Size, Speed 20 (-1 RP)
+2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength (Nu Mou are simply not very strong, but though their bodies are weaker, their minds are incredibly sharp)
Arcane Focus: If any word described a Nu Mou’s method of casting, it would be “slow”...but that slowness grants a certain measure of surety. Nu Mou gain a +2 Racial bonus on concentration checks to cast defensively.
Lightbringer: Nu Mou bring light with them...literally. Nu Mou are immune to light based blindness and dazzle effects, while also treating their caster level as one higher for determining the effects of any light based spell they cast. Additionally, Nu Mou with an intelligence of 10 or greater may cast light at will.
Spell Like Ability, Comprehend Languages: Once per day, a Nu Mou may cast Comprehend Languages as a spell like ability. A Nu Mou’s deep wisdom and knowledge imparts an understanding of languages that few others can match, though this ability is regarded as a crutch-as many Nu Mou will tell you, many things can be hidden within written script that mere comprehension cannot determine.
Shards of the Past: Nu Mou keep incredible archives of their past, and whether passed down orally or through written word, all Nu Mou actively pursue areas of study that interest them. Nu Mou select two knowledge skills at character creation, and gain a +2 racial bonus to those Knowledge skills. Additionally, the chosen Knowledge skills are always considered class skills for them.
Low Light Vision: Nu Mou may see twice as far in conditions of dim light.

Garif
The semi-nomadic tribes of the plains, Garif clans dominate the southern plains of Ivalice-though they will tell you that they are simple travellers, their mastery of the harsh wilderness is not to be discounted. Garif all wear incredibly elaborate masks seemingly made of bone, and do not remove them, even while sleeping or engaged in diplomacy with other species. Their tribes will open for strong warriors, regardless of said warrior’s choice of weapon, be it magic or metal. Diplomats are advised to be ready for a show of strength. Garif tend to prefer natural weapons of wood, bone, or similar materials, shunning the manufacted steel of humes. In battle, most Garif will constantly be moving forward, forcing their opponent to either stand and fight with all their strength or to surrender ground to the Garif-both outcomes are welcomed, as Garif train for both.

Stats:
Humanoid (Garif), Medium, 30 feet
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma (Garif are powerful, but incredibly standoffish)
Lifebound: Garif gain a +2 racial bonus to the following checks: Saves made versus death effects, saves against negative energy, Fortitude saves made to remove negative levels, and Constitution checks made to stabilize if reduced to negative hit points. Garif bodies are resilient and simply refuse to stop moving.
Stubborn: Garif gain a +2 to Will saves against Charm and Compulsion effects of the enchantment school. Additionally, if they fail to save against a charm or compulsion, they may attempt a second save on the next round to prematurely end the effect. If a Garif has a similar ability from another source (such as the Rogue’s Slippery Mind talent), only one of these abilities may be used per round, but other abilities can be used on subsequent rounds (for example, a Garif Rogue with Slippery Mind could use Slippery Mind on the round after the charm affects him, and if that fails, use Stubborn on the next round). To match their bodies, a Garif’s mind is difficult to dominate-and those that do manage it do not manage it for long.
Bonus Feat: Endurance: All Garif gain the Endurance feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. As has been stated before, Garif just do not stop.
Sprinter: When using a charge, run, or withdraw action, a Garif adds +10 to his speed. A Garif with a 30 foot movement speed using a charge could move up to 80 feet (+10 from Sprinter, doubled by charging). Should an opponent turn and run, a Garif is more than happy to run them down, and this training is also helpful if a Garif gets in over their head and must retreat.
Relentless: Garif gain a +2 racial bonus on Bull Rush and Overrun attempts, as long as both the Garif and their opponent are standing on the ground. The other half of the traditional fighting style, Garif are adept at forcing an opponent that chooses to stand and fight to move aside.

Seeq
Enormous porcine monstrosities, though don’t let one hear you calling them “pig man”. Seeq are incredibly strong, but are considered by many to be slow of thought and dim of wit. This has led to hume society casting them aside, treating them as second class citizens. Without any homelands of their own, many Seeq turn to lives of crime. Many also find work as heavy laborers, though this too carries risks, as some more seedy types enslave the brutish race for their own ends. Seeqs are not entirely doomed to such a low life, however, as many find themselves in the employ of hunting clans or mixed militaries. While the discipline of such lifestyles is often lost on a Seeq, none can deny that there is no barrier that will stop a Seeq, whether it be a wall of shields or a literal stone wall.

Stats:
Monstrous Humanoid, Medium, 20 foot speed*
*As medium sized yet slow, Seeq are unaffected by any speed penalties imposed by armor.
+4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma (Seeq are insanely strong, but their minds are weak and their grooming habits combined with near nudity leave much to be desired)
Fearless: Seeq gain a +2 racial bonus against fear effects. Whether this is due to a natural courage, or they are simply too dim to understand fear, it is nigh on impossible to intimidate or terrify a Seeq.
Natural Armor: Seeq gain a +1 Natural Armor bonus. The thick hides of Seeq turn blades aside, and heavily armored Seeqs are almost impossible to damage due to this.
Gatecrasher: Seeq gain a +2 racial bonus to Strength checks made to break objects and a +2 racial bonus to Sunder attempts. Seeqs are often called “aurochs in a potion shop” for how easily they can break even the toughest of objects.
Natural Attack: Gore: Seeqs possess horns that can be used to gore a foe. This is a primary natural attack that deals 1d6+Strength of Piercing damage. Seeq horns are usually kept blunt in civilized society or if a Seeq is enslaved (can’t have slaves stabbing their masters), but adventurer types are more likely to keep this natural outgrowth of bone nice and sharp.
Darkvision 60 feet: Seeq can see in the dark up to 60 feet

Moogles
Moogles: The most fuzzy and adorable races of Ivalice, Moogles are most known for being one of the only humanoid races able to fly. It is likely that others exist, but none are known to hume society. Moogles tend to be quite fearful, but Moogle adventurers are not unheard of. Some Moogles can also be found in hunting clans, either as hunters or as the ones running the show. Moogles have been observed in every discipline, from paladins to wizards to everything in between. Do not let their small size fool you, as their natural flight makes them nearly impossible to strike.

Stats:
Humanoid (Moogle), Small, 20 foot speed
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -4 Strength (Moogles are fast and endlessly charming, but very weak of arm)
Flight: Moogles have a fly speed of 40 feet with poor maneuverability (imposing a -4 penalty on Fly checks), and enjoy a +2 size bonus to flight checks due to being small. Due to having a fly speed, they are considered to always have Fly as a class skill. Moogles are known for flying, and can fly along at a pretty good pace.
Eternal Hope: Moogles gain a +2 racial bonus against fear and despair effects, and may, once per day, re-roll any d20 roll that was a natural 1, using the second result instead. Moogles are not given to fear or despair, and their carefree attitudes seem to grant them luck.
Gregarious:When a Moogle uses Diplomacy to win over an individual, said individual takes a -2 penalty to resist any of the Moogle’s Charisma based skills for the next 24 hours. The charm of a Moogle makes them seem incredibly trustworthy. Most Moogles keep things honest, but some use this knack to make their marks believe all sorts of tall tales.
Lucky: Moogles gain a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws. This bonus stacks with the one from Eternal Hope, above.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Kimmy

Hi hi, definitely interested. I have to admit I haven't played FF12, so exploring it's world will be interesting. But I've tried some others.

I'm an absolute sucker for dangerous cuteness, so a Viera or Feol Viera race would be delightful to try! For the races, are you wanting to set standardised races or just let the players interpret how they wish? You can always use the Race Builders Guide & set 1 or 2 point options for it. A regular race is 10-15 pionts usually, whilst a more powerful race might be about 20-25 & cost a level. That usually opens the door to making most monster races. Espcially if you are willing to add in the occasional extra power not the book to represent the game.

I can knock up a couple of attempts if you'd like? *@shrugs@* But I am not the expert on FF12 - but I can still try?
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Angie

Quote from: Kimmy on February 04, 2019, 03:53:17 AM
Hi hi, definitely interested. I have to admit I haven't played FF12, so exploring it's world will be interesting. But I've tried some others.

I'm an absolute sucker for dangerous cuteness, so a Viera or Feol Viera race would be delightful to try! For the races, are you wanting to set standardised races or just let the players interpret how they wish? You can always use the Race Builders Guide & set 1 or 2 point options for it. A regular race is 10-15 pionts usually, whilst a more powerful race might be about 20-25 & cost a level. That usually opens the door to making most monster races. Espcially if you are willing to add in the occasional extra power not the book to represent the game.

I can knock up a couple of attempts if you'd like? *@shrugs@* But I am not the expert on FF12 - but I can still try?

Oh, I wouldn't mind. I'm not exactly playing with a completely empty deck, I was part of a Pathfinder Ivalice a long time ago where we had a good chunk of the major races and the stats for them. I only remember Hume and Viera personally, but as far as races go I was considering the following for playable races:

Humes (Base human stats)
Viera (Close to elves is what I'd aim for)
Bangaa (Not sure for stat adjustments, they're pretty integrated with humes so maybe Charisma? They'd also get at least Scent as a racial)
Nu Mou (Magically powerful, probably a boost to Intelligence and Wisdom with a Strength penalty)
Garif (Big and tough!)
Seeq (Large rotund pig like things, I may make them close to dwarves-slower, but stocky and hard to move)
Possibly Moogles? Moogles would bring us up to 7 "core" races...

Also I'm doing write-ups as I type, will post when I have a first draft.

Revelation

You had me at ivalice, i'm keeping an eye on this.

GunmetalDreamer

No Gria?  That kind of makes me sad.

Well, I'd probably roll a Human Divine Fist (I had a White Mage with Punch Arts that I enjoyed entirely too much) or some kind of Black Mage (Evocation Wizard).

The only thing holding me back is that I never played FF12, so I have no clue what Ivalice looked like 50 years before 12.

Angie

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on February 04, 2019, 01:40:01 PM

No Gria?  That kind of makes me sad.

Well, I'd probably roll a Human Divine Fist (I had a White Mage with Punch Arts that I enjoyed entirely too much) or some kind of Black Mage (Evocation Wizard).

The only thing holding me back is that I never played FF12, so I have no clue what Ivalice looked like 50 years before 12.

I might add Gria, if you ask nicely. Then again I'm not too experienced with them...

As for the world, well, aside from the few areas we actually see in 12, it's pretty varied. The city of Rabanastre and the surrounding areas in the middle of the map up there is mainly desert, but there's plenty of rolling plains, other cities, forests, mountains, and more. I (and others) can help with locations.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Angie on February 04, 2019, 10:13:04 AM
Oh, I wouldn't mind. I'm not exactly playing with a completely empty deck, I was part of a Pathfinder Ivalice a long time ago where we had a good chunk of the major races and the stats for them. I only remember Hume and Viera personally, but as far as races go I was considering the following for playable races:

Viera (Close to elves is what I'd aim for)
Possibly Moogles? Moogles would bring us up to 7 "core" races...

Also I'm doing write-ups as I type, will post when I have a first draft.

Rabbit elves and moogles...sounds interesting enough. xD

If you guys are fine with someone who needs to read up on the lore I'm up for joining. :3
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

GunmetalDreamer

They were a FFTA2 race (given that a number of races introduced in FFTA have featured prominently in future Ivalice titles I figure they'd be legal).

They were another race where we only ever saw female members, and were mostly noteworthy for having natural Flight.  They also seem to have massive strength, given that their "This Race Only" classes unlock things like one-handing two-handed swords and unlocking heavy armor for all classes.

They could only learn four Jobs in FFTA: Hunter, Geomance, Raptor (kinda like Knight in FFT), and Ravager (kind of swash-buckly but with heavy armor).

I'd be willing to take a swing at building the race, since I'm the one thinking about playing one.  I have some ideas, and can try and keep it inside of 15 RP for balance's sake.

Angie

Quote from: Drowdeviant on February 04, 2019, 01:53:00 PM
Rabbit elves and moogles...sounds interesting enough. xD

If you guys are fine with someone who needs to read up on the lore I'm up for joining. :3

The lore is mostly setting based. it's so far removed from the games that you only need to worry about cities, really, and I can describe any other places that we end up going to. Like the snowy, mountainous Paramina Rift!

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on February 04, 2019, 01:56:48 PM
They were a FFTA2 race (given that a number of races introduced in FFTA have featured prominently in future Ivalice titles I figure they'd be legal).

They were another race where we only ever saw female members, and were mostly noteworthy for having natural Flight.  They also seem to have massive strength, given that their "This Race Only" classes unlock things like one-handing two-handed swords and unlocking heavy armor for all classes.

They could only learn four Jobs in FFTA: Hunter, Geomance, Raptor (kinda like Knight in FFT), and Ravager (kind of swash-buckly but with heavy armor).

I'd be willing to take a swing at building the race, since I'm the one thinking about playing one.  I have some ideas, and can try and keep it inside of 15 RP for balance's sake.

The race blocks I've built all come out to basically 10 RP (9 RP of stuff and then I just allow any race to take any language which is another 1 RP, so, 10 altogether because I think locking languages to certain races is STUPID!), but I don't mind you taking a crack at it. As long as it fits the spirit of the race, their physiology/culture and such, I'm willing to be lenient.

GunmetalDreamer

Okay, 10 RP.  I think I can make that work.

Angie

Speaking of, we have the racial drafts above.

GunmetalDreamer

Okay, here's the draft:

Gria
The Gria are a race of winged humanoids distinguished by draconic features and native to the region of Jylland.  Despite their outward appearance, Gria are driven by a love for battle and many have fierce, competitive spirits.  While male Gria certainly exist, they prefer more peaceful and less dangerous jobs, meaning that most people are only familiar with the more outgoing and active women of the race.  Most Gria are fine with the company of other races, their competitive and friendly natures making them difficult to dislike, but their villages tend to host only members of their race.

Type:  Humanoid (Gria) (0 RP)
Size:  Medium (0 RP)
Base Speed:  30' (0 RP)

Ability Score Modifier:  Standard (+2 Str & Wis; -2 Int) (0 RP)
Language Quality:  Linguist (1 RP)

Low-Light Vision:  See twice as far in dim light (1 RP)
Movement: Flight 30' Clumsy Maneuverability (4 RP)
Skill Bonus: +2 Racial Bonus to Survival (2 RP)
Weapon Familiarity: Bastard Sword & Bows (1 RP)
Fearless: +2 Racial Bonus to all Saving Throws against Fear Effects (1 RP)

Angie

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on February 04, 2019, 03:05:27 PM
Okay, here's the draft:

Type:  Humanoid (Gria) (0 RP)
Size:  Medium (0 RP)
Base Speed:  30' (0 RP)

Ability Score Modifier:  Standard (+2 Str & Wis; -1 Int) (1 RP)
Language Quality:  Linguist (1 RP)

Movement: Flight 30' Clumsy Maneuverability (4 RP)
Bond to the Land: +2 Dodge Bonus to AC when in Forest Terrain. (2 RP)
Skill Training:  Knowledge (Nature) and Flight are always Class Skills (1 RP)
Fearless: +2 Racial Bonus to all Saving Throws against Fear Effects (1 RP)

Edit:  I need to dash, but I'll actually explain my reasoning when I get back from work.

Your numbers are also slightly off. Standard, in this case, would be +2 STR and WIS and -2 Int, and be 0 RP. So you have an extra 1 to use.

Marie Reynolds

I will be willing to explore  this  if there is still room! Sweet I did not realize 12 was set in Ivalice but I did not get to far into the game got distracted by other games now I will need to return to it. Well glad to know it was not some side quest that pulls Balthier from one world to another. *cough* Cloud*cough*.

Revelation

I'll probably pick boring old human, but i'm unsure as to class - I take it only core PF material is allowed?

Angie

Quote from: Changingsaint on February 04, 2019, 07:47:35 PM
I'll probably pick boring old human, but i'm unsure as to class - I take it only core PF material is allowed?

I can be convinced of 3rd party if you can convince me it's fair.

Revelation

Well i'd love to give Spheres of Might a go. It's a 3rd party system for PF designed to give Martial type characters more options and things to do, without making them overpowered - less 'Make them stronger' and more 'give them options and breadth'. Basically, characters get access to 'spheres' that encompass different things from offensive (Dual wielding or archery), to utility (Gladiator sphere for example focuses on boasting of battle based accomplishments to boost your allies or demoralize your foes), to defensive (Guarding others and/or using your shield in a defensive/offensive mix). I'm trying it out in a different game with martials who aren't using the sphere stuff themselves, and I have noticed that we're all relatively on par. Sphere practitioners tend to trade full attacks out for single strikes due to the way their powers work, and unlike some other options (coughpathofwarcough), you don't get massive boosts to damage and such for doing so. It's designed so a group can have both sphere of might user and a regular non sphere of might user, and the one won't outshine the other.

Angie

Hmmm...seems interesting. I'll allow it, I've already allowed path of war stuff in the past.

Revelation

Sick. There are a ton of options that'd be fun to try then. Before I go off and list 'em all i'd like to see what a few other people are making first. But I'm sorta gravitating towards Sentinel (A tank/knightly class), Conscript ('Build a martial'A fighter equivalent), and Striker (A lightly armored unarmed combatant who goes with the ebb and flow of combat). Of course I could also make a commander (Supportive/enabling style character), or go with a class archetype, I dunno. So many fun options that can fit Ivalice.

Angie

Looks like we got 5 already but I will note that it's not first come first serve. If anyone else is interested, speak up!

Metraxa

I am....interested. Mostly because I'm a big fan of final fantasy and I know a bit of what's going on. Unfortunately I've played Pathfinder a grand total of once, and that was back when i was in a sophomore in college so it's been several years since then. But if you're willing to bear with me, I'll do my best.

Currently thinking of playing a Moogle. Or maybe a boring Hume :P

Angie

Quote from: Metraxa on February 05, 2019, 10:16:28 PM
I am....interested. Mostly because I'm a big fan of final fantasy and I know a bit of what's going on. Unfortunately I've played Pathfinder a grand total of once, and that was back when i was in a sophomore in college so it's been several years since then. But if you're willing to bear with me, I'll do my best.

Currently thinking of playing a Moogle. Or maybe a boring Hume :P

Moogle sounds good. I am inordinately proud of that one. Them, Viera, and Seeq I'm kinda proud of, but I love all my races equally!

Angie

Quote from: Waldham on February 06, 2019, 02:51:45 AM
Hello, I have a link for you, Angie :
Final Fantasy (Pathfinder)

Seeing the classes there, I want to keep this to a rule set I'm mostly familiar with and not throw an entirely new set of classes at people. Pathfinder has enough archetypes and options that I can stick with mostly core and be fine (spheres of might not withstanding since I okayed that)

Revelation

Starting level is 3, but what are our ability scores? I can't seem to find them being mentioned. Or maybe I am a dingaling.