Bad Economy? Quit Your Job!

Started by Jag, February 09, 2009, 09:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

It's a video: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-209738

It's only about a minute and a half long.

My opinion:
I don't agree with everything he is saying. I do believe that if you are miserable with you job, then you should find a new one. But I believe that you should find that other job first and then quit your job. He seems to be saying that if you quit your job, then you will have a better chance at getting another job during a time period of a bad economy than someone that got laid off. I don't find that to be true. I never have.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on February 09, 2009, 09:23:12 AM
He seems to be saying that if you quit your job, then you will have a better chance at getting another job during a time period of a bad economy than someone that got laid off. I don't find that to be true. I never have.

Leaving a job voluntarily has looked better historically to future employers than being laid off, for the simple reason that there is always the question about why you were laid off - and when future employers call for references there is very little information that can legally be given.  I don't know if the current market is taking RIFs as negatively as they have in the past (you were downsized, but why was your job downsized instead of somebody else's?)

But by all means finding the other job first and then giving appropriate notice shows more responsibility than quitting.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

hihi, that's quite exactly where I am right now. Just add that in here, where notice period is two months, it's next to impossible to have a new job ready before quitting the current one. :(
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Hyde

I would think alot of employers would be a bit understanding that everybody is cutting jobs.
"I am the chief of sinners"

On/Offs