Any chance for an updated PM system?

Started by Deante, January 06, 2019, 01:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deante

I'm impressed with E as a community and an experience, I really am.

But (always a but isn't there?) one thing here that I feel is rather lackluster, and it's purely a UI thing, is the PM setup.

You can't organize it at all. You can't edit PMs. But the biggest issue to me is the "sent" and "received" messages are totally split, so if you want to try and follow a conversation at all a few days later, you have to go to a separate page and go through that list to find it. That makes RPing via PM a serious pain.

The setup here is pretty basic, as sites go. So I was wondering if improving them would be at all possible?

Lexandria

There is an option to set it up to show as a conversation. In the PM area, at the bottom of the list on the left, there is an option to 'Change Settings'. The first item on it will let you display as a conversation.

Tolvo

Quote from: Lexandria on January 06, 2019, 01:56:16 AM
There is an option to set it up to show as a conversation. In the PM area, at the bottom of the list on the left, there is an option to 'Change Settings'. The first item on it will let you display as a conversation.

Is this on by default? I was curious because for me it was always on I wasn't sure what Deante meant at first. Or is it something that was added later so older accounts didn't have it default on or something?

Nadir

Tolvo

Huh, I don't remember turning it on but I must have turned it on by accident or something when setting up my settings or maybe I just don't remember setting it up since it was so long ago.

AmberStarfire

There's a little icon you can click as well and it switches it on (or presumably off). It's before Date and Subject at the top of the menu (on the messages page), so it would be easy to click it by mistake.

AmberStarfire

>I did what was suggested, and now all it does is show one PM at a time instead of all of them. That's not a conversation? A conversation is

Me
Them
Me
Them
Me
Them.

If you press it again it should put them back as they were.

What could be happening is rather than replying to previous messages, the person you're talking to might be creating a new message 'thread' effectively every time they message you. (Some people do that). Have a look at other messages you've received from different people, and see if it's the same. Posts will only show up threaded as conversations if you reply directly to a prior post or someone else does.

Deante

Yeah, I figured that out after I made that comment, and that's why I deleted it.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Mirrah

You can also create Labels (kind of like files or sub-sections in your PMs) to sort your PMs in if you'd like to organize them.
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Tolvo

Quote from: Mirrah on January 07, 2019, 02:10:49 PM
You can also create Labels (kind of like files or sub-sections in your PMs) to sort your PMs in if you'd like to organize them.

Wait really??? Hot damn that is super useful I wish I had realized that.

Blythe

Just never ever delete a label if you do use the label system, as a heads up. Re-naming, fine, but just don't delete ones that still have PMs in the label. Weird borky things can happen if you delete a label--and it will delete everything in that label, for example, if my memory serves correctly. >_>

Mirrah

Yes. :-) I have one called "PM RPs," another called "Brainstorming," and more. You create the Labels and then move the PMs in there. The only thing is, if you get new replies, they show back up in your Inbox, even if you previously moved the conversation to a Label.

Quote from: Blythe on January 07, 2019, 03:12:59 PM
Just never ever delete a label if you do use the label system, as a heads up. Re-naming, fine, but just don't delete ones that still have PMs in the label. Weird borky things can happen if you delete a label--and it will delete everything in that label, for example, if my memory serves correctly. >_>

Also, this.

Nadir

Quote from: Blythe on January 07, 2019, 03:12:59 PM

It will also jumble up PMs in all the labels after it - it'll be visited in the new software but is not something we can do anything about in SM

Tolvo

Hmm, you could technically make the first label the first section "REMINDER DO NOT DELETE LABELS" so if you ever think about it and forget you get reminded couldn't you?

Mirrah

That is up to you. I usually just move the PMs to a different label before deleting, or rename instead of deleting.

Tolvo

I meant labeling one with a reminder that deleting any labels can have bad outcomes. Because it very much seems like something one can forget.

Mirrah

If that'd be helpful to you, feel free. :-)