You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

March 09, 2021, 01:22:24 am

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki is back on-line. Search non-functional for now.

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Word of the Day Challenge  (Read 122859 times)

Online BritwitchTopic starter

Re: Word of the Day Challenge
« Reply #1750 on: February 17, 2021, 07:24:53 am »
Today's Word of the Day is....

underwhelm
verb | un-der-WELM

Definition

: to fail to impress or stimulate

Weekly Theme

Pirates / Age of Sailing

Did You Know?

Overwhelm and its rare synonym whelm have both been around since the Middle Ages, but underwhelm is a 20th-century coinage. Both overwhelm and whelm are derived from the Middle English whelmen, which is perhaps an alteration of whelven ("to turn over" or "to cover up"). Underwhelm is a playful overturning of overwhelm well suited for describing the unimpressive. More than one person claims the distinction of having invented underwhelm; several sources attribute it to the playwright George S. Kaufman, but sports columnist Red Smith is quoted as believing he coined the word himself, and still other sources cite other potential creators. Chances are that the word was in fact coined by more than one inventive writer.

« Reply #1751 on: February 17, 2021, 07:29:31 am »

indissoluble
adjective | in-dih-SAHL-yuh-bul

Definition

: not dissoluble; especially : incapable of being annulled, undone, or broken : permanent

Weekly Theme

Pirates / Age of Sailing

Did You Know?

Indissoluble and its antonym dissoluble ("capable of being dissolved or disintegrated") both date their first print appearances to the 16th century, and both owe a debt to Latin dissolubilis, which means "dissoluble; capable of being dissolved." While the word dissolve in that gloss may call to mind the chemical process by which something mixed with a liquid becomes part of the liquid (as when salt or sugar dissolve in water), indissoluble primarily relates to other meanings of dissolve: "destroy" and "disintegrate," "terminate" and "annul." Something indissoluble—such as a treaty, contract, or vow—is permanent. The English word dissolve, in all its meanings, is a cousin to indissoluble and dissoluble. Dissolubilis derives from Latin dissolvere (from dis- + solvere, "to loosen") the source of our word dissolve.

Offline PrincessBuggy

« Reply #1752 on: February 17, 2021, 08:36:43 am »
The Word - indissoluble
Authors Note - more like in-deez-oluble haha gottem

The seven seas always seemed just beyond reach when you were in the middle of them. The lucky ones among the bastards on this floating coffin were the ones who got killed or stolen when the English came by with their fancy foppery and their muskets sweetly kissing the swabbies with gunpowder. The unlucky ones were still here, when land had last been seen seven days ago and the hard tack was slowly evolving to become new wood for the ship. The actual planks on the decks might have been tastier and more nutritious when enough people had died atop them that some of the iron in the blood must have soaked in and enriched the non-existent varnish.

The crow's nest, so far above the rigging of the ship that continued to bustle and billow as if this zephyr would any minute take them to the salvation of real soil and earth and something besides this damn blue. The boy they'd left up there might already have been vulture feed. Maybe they'd passed a dozen islands already and not one of them would ever be called out because their watch had already keeled to the damnable scurvy or to the sun melting the flesh off his bones. They could all still see the shadow of his silhouette from down here, something vaguely human shape plopped over one edge, ragged hair tumbling over his face to hide it from view. Like a scarecrow, never moving, waiting to come to life and kill whoever was left.

The captain had locked himself in his office days ago. Some stash of food left under his bed perhaps, the only soft thing left on the ship when the rest of his sailor's flesh had been cropped so close to the bone that there was no fat left to push down upon. No chance of mutiny: everyone was too damn weak to batter down the door. Two inches of wood between themselves and salvation and not a man could scream timber. Not enough hydration left on the lips to move them, for fear that they'd fall off.

Thirst was indissoluble in sea water. Hunger was insatiable with human blood.

Men were still desperately attempting both, every day they stayed out at this endless stretch of picturesque tropical blue, up until the day that there were none of them left to try.

Offline Lilias

• La Que Sabe ~ Venefica ~ Melinoë ~ The Unforgiving
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Pas a pas, se va luenh.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1753 on: February 17, 2021, 05:36:22 pm »
Lord Sevenard was in bed, propped up with several pillows, when Manuela entered. The one servant present scrambled to excuse herself in the presence of the Empress, her hasty retreat making the two nobles exchange an amused glance.

‘My dear Lela, please forgive me for being remiss in my hospitality. I should have been up to welcome you, despite the doctor’s orders.’

Manuela waved it off. ‘Uncle, you are the only one left to call me Lela in the world. I would absolve you of all offence toward me before the act, even if there had been any. Heed your doctor, I still need your counsel. Otherwise, I will be forced to order you back to court, so you can be tended by my own physicians.’

Lord Sevenard chuckled, then coughed. ‘I would rather not, though I would never disobey an order of yours, Majesty. And my surgeon has sent for bronzewood leaves from your own groves, so I don’t think your own physicians will have many resources that I don’t already have here.’

Manuela peered into the two clay bowls sitting by the bedside. One was full of bronzewood leaves, at least a few days old, sere and brittle, their bright colour faded to a dull brown, but their heart- and lung-strengthening properties stronger than when they were fresh. The other, smaller bowl held only a little brown liquid at the bottom. ‘I can’t imagine anyone enjoying drinking such a brew.’

‘Enjoyment has nothing to do with efficiency, and it is actually not that bad. Maytree resin drops, now those are nasty. No food or drink will take away the bitterness, at least for a day. May you never have need of them, my dear. Are you heading to Dinas Tylluan?’

Manuela nodded, well accustomed to how her mentor could seamlessly go from one topic to another without as much as a blink, a skill she was still working on. ‘The sister assigned to watch over Irene and Arjen and their brood is a treasure. We believe the Order has… more ways to support the throne.’

Lord Sevenard nodded, intimately familiar with succession tensions, but his eyes twinkled mischievously. ‘Brood? You don’t mean to say that Irene is expecting again already?’

Manuela laughed out loud. ‘No, but… I wouldn’t tell anyone else this, but, honestly, better her than me.’

Lord Sevenard nodded again, seriously this time, even a little sad. ‘Duty is a harsh taskmaster, Lela, and the demands have only started.’

Online Peripherie

• Bringer of Comets and Eclipses, Wonder Peri, the True Periwinkle, Adorkable, Doll, Sugar Plum Peri, Peritales, Minx
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • No pants are the best pants.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1754 on: February 18, 2021, 05:13:13 am »
The clock ticked on twenty-two minutes since the date started. It was an hour-long show and then dinner after. What a long night! She had her hopes set high by the talk of her friend who set her up on the blind date. But she began to wonder, as she looked over at the engrossed man sitting next to her thinking that the comic on stage held the answers to life's bawdiest questions.

"So.. you said earlier that you asked Gwen to come first?"

It took a moment to get his attention after the crowd last at a certain well-flung curse from the stage. "What? Oh, yeah. She said something about her hair."

The nachos sitting between them slowly disappeared along with her hopes for a lasting beginning. He was handsome, nice, seemingly well-put-together, and yet wholly underwhelming. She started to agree with Gwen's hair care routine.

Online Peripherie

• Bringer of Comets and Eclipses, Wonder Peri, the True Periwinkle, Adorkable, Doll, Sugar Plum Peri, Peritales, Minx
  • Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1755 on: February 19, 2021, 04:18:58 am »
"I'd say that is pretty fucking indissoluble."

"What?" She looked over her shoulder at the guy who was flung across her bed - newspaper and pen in hand.

"Indissoluble. 5 down. incapable of being annulled, undone, or broken: permanent". He raised his almost finished crossword up in her direction before ducking back into it."

She looked back at her torso in the mirror - holding up her shirt to reveal the tattoo she had done on her ribcage last night. Damnit, it had hurt! "That's not what I asked - do you like I?"

He shrugged a shoulder while chewing on the end of his pen. Yep - pen not pencil. "It's a nice-looking mistake."

"Yeah, not helping." She carefully put the covering back on and slowly lowered her shirt.

Tossing a nearby towel at his head, she didn't say anything more. She liked it. The real question she was asking her bestie was though - would he like it?

« Reply #1756 on: February 19, 2021, 12:41:58 pm »

toady
noun | TOH-dee

Definition

: one who flatters in the hope of gaining favors : sycophant

Weekly Theme

Pirates / Age of Sailing

Did You Know?

We can thank old-time toadeaters for toady. In 17th-century Europe, a toadeater was a showman's assistant whose job was to make the boss look good. The toadeater would eat (or pretend to eat) what were supposed to be poisonous toads. The charlatan in charge would then "save" the toad-afflicted assistant by expelling the poison. It's little wonder that such assistants became symbolic of extreme subservience, and that toadeater became a word for any obsequious underling. By the early 1800s, it had been shortened and altered to toady, our current term for a servile self-seeker. By the mid-1800s, toady was also being used as a verb meaning "to engage in sycophancy."

« Reply #1757 on: February 19, 2021, 12:44:33 pm »

anodyne
adjective | AN-uh-dyne

Definition

1 : serving to alleviate pain

2 : not likely to offend or arouse tensions : innocuous

Weekly Theme

Pirates / Age of Sailing

Did You Know?

Anodyne came to English via Latin from Greek anṓdynos (meaning "free from pain, causing no pain, harmless, allaying pain"), and it has been used as both an adjective and a noun ("something that soothes, calms, or comforts") since the 16th century. It has sometimes been used of things that dull or lull the senses and render painful experiences less so. British statesman Edmund Burke used it this way, for example, in 1790 when he referred to flattery as an "anodyne draft of oblivion" that renders one (in this particular case, the deposed King Louis XVI) forgetful of the flatterer's true feelings. Nowadays, in addition to describing things that dull pain, anodyne can also refer to that which doesn't cause discomfort in the first place.

« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2021, 01:53:11 am »

perdure
verb | per-DUR

Definition

: to continue to exist : last

Weekly Theme

Pirates / Age of Sailing

Did You Know?

Perdure may be an unfamiliar word for many of our readers, but those who suspect they see hints of its ancestry in the more familiar synonym endure are correct. Perdure was borrowed into Middle English from Anglo-French and traces back to the Latin verb perdurare, meaning "to continue." Perdurare, in turn, was formed by combining the intensifying prefix per- with the verb durare, meaning "to last." Durare is also an ancestor of the English words endure, durable, indurate, and during, among others.

Offline Daeva

« Reply #1759 on: February 21, 2021, 10:26:04 am »

cognoscente
noun | kahn-yuh-SHEN-tee

Definition

: a person who has expert knowledge in a subject : connoisseur

Weekly Theme

Fairytales

Did You Know?

Cognoscente and connoisseur are more than synonyms; they're also linguistic cousins. Both terms descend from the Latin verb cognōscere, meaning "to know," and they're not alone. You might guess that cognizance and cognition are members of the cognōscere clan. Do you also recognize a family resemblance in recognize? Can you see through the disguise of incognito? Did you have a premonition that we would mention precognition? Cognoscente itself came to English by way of Italian and has been a part of the language since the late 1700s.

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1760 on: February 21, 2021, 11:46:56 am »
She really shouldn't have checked her email on the weekends. It wasn't so much the number of unique tasks or conversations that drove her batty. It was the 'reply all' madness that sent her inbox into explode mode. The first message didn't even require a response - it was just a notice of near-useless information. But the toadies in her company can't help but feign praise-worthy obedience by replying that they heard and understand for all to see. Select All-delete would be effective if things were left at that. But no, then the first round of brown-nosing was compounded by the second - when certain sycophants replied all.... to the first reply alls. Not adding any more value to the chain except to say 'I saw that you saw!'.

For all that was good and right in the world - she needed to dip her email client in eye bleach or throw her laptop out the window. Either sounded like a much better choice than firing off an explicit-laden-message that she only hoped they would 'reply all' to, but she would wait till Monday to see just how deep the lack-of-social-media-etiquette rabbit hole went.

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1761 on: February 21, 2021, 03:59:55 pm »
"My sweetest love,

How I do miss the sparkle of roses in your many crimson eyes. How I swoon at the thought of your wirey blue arms wrapped around me, as many as you please, as we dangled in the tangle webs. How I miss the warbling screech of your third mouth as we kiss.

But I must say, ever since I moved to my Winter Palace it seems your toadies are under the impression we are at odds. How very silly of them. I am sure the hobgoblins were merely mistaken when they set torch to my watchtowers. I apologize if the wargs they rode had a sudden change in temperament and taught them a rather harsh lesson. It is not my place to say how those who love me choose to express it after all.

Likewise I am very certain the marbled drakes simply delivered the wrong message when tidings of strife and woe appeared in their sky on their speckled wings. Naturally you too will forgive the chitin spears that the nest creepers threw from their thoraxes in such a rage at seeing these words. One mistake begets another after all. But worry not, for I forgive you.

Finally, I must beg your indulgence for I had no idea your tastes had changed so! The hydra venom that was dripping inside of the chocolates you sent must be because it is your newest delight! You would not believe what silly rumors others would have me believe on this topic. When I return in the Summer we will have so many laughs! Until then, enjoy that I have coaxed the sky to weep this venom upon you. I know you will be delighted.

With nothing but the fondest of thoughts and all of the love in my heart.

Your Unseelie Queen,

Forever and for all eternity."

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1762 on: February 21, 2021, 05:11:30 pm »
"I can't do anything about it!" The tinker huffed, throwing back her flip-down brass goggles and leaning back in his creaky spring-supported chair. A heavily gloved hand wiped thick and matted black hair back from a sweaty brow as the tinker looked up at her captain's annoyed face. "It's stuck solid, magically resistant, acid repellent, self-feeding, the curse is too strong, it's indissoluble!"

The captain glowered down at her tinker. She stood tall, proud, looking quite authoritative in her high leather boots, rugged seafaring outfit, and tricorn hat. The only thing ruining her powerful image was the fact that her hands were stuck together in front of her. Stuck together and wrapped around something, thick glue spreading out from between her fingers.

"There has to be a way!" She snapped.

"W-well, yes, of course there is." The tinker said meekly. "You can just let go - "

"ANOTHER WAY!" The captain snapped, beating her stuck-together hands like a club on the tinker's desk.

"Yes, yes, I'll find it, I'll uh, there has to be something, maybe after some time has passed the curse will weaken and the them will stop producing so much of this." The tinker sighed and reached for a chisel, knocking away some of the excess glue with sharp taps from her brass hammer. "And until then maybe we can get you a spot in the carnival. The Incredible Stubborn Captain." She muttered, already thinking she'd be stuck here tonight rather than seeing all the sights and sounds a pirate carnival can offer!

"I heard that." The captain said, sighing. "And just for that I think you get to be the one who tends to me until this thing gives up."

"Captain!" The tinker protested. "You can't win a battle of patience with a cursed gem!"

"Watch me." The captain said with a smug smile. "And go pick out something nice to wear, since you'll be my date to the carnival tonight."

The tinker sighed. "Yes Captain."

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1763 on: February 21, 2021, 06:20:49 pm »
The cold grey of the titanium shell reflected the low light as pale rocks shattered into dust under her feet. A human would be bouncing in the low gravity, but she was heavier, considerably heavier, than the two legged and two armed creature she was designed to resemble.

A power source was on her sensors ahead. It was the only thing she had detected except for rubble and remnants ever since she had determined her human companions were not possible to revive. The lack of an atmosphere was too much for them. But it wasn't for whatever was up head. Her footprints left behind on the dusty rock were slender, yet crushing, and she knew the lack of wind meant they would last until something larger or heavier came along to disturb them. Her mark would likely last centuries.

The source came into view. It was unexpectedly similar to her. Although this synthetic being was designed to look far more human. It even wore clothes, a trench coat over what looked like a black suit and tie, with smart shoes to match. Her, for like the titanium shelled robot, this synthetic being was built as a woman, her hair was styled in a fashionable pompadour, her dark skin not nearly as black as the shadow of the void behind her. The titanium woman did not slow her approach. Synthetic beings did not display caution as a human would. There would be aggression or there would not. There was no point in delaying.

"You are from the crash?" The woman asked, her voice clear, beautiful, melodic, powered by more than lungs to be heard in the lack of air.

"Alone I perdure." The titanium woman confirmed.

"The others?"

"Biological." It answered the question. "Your power source is unfamiliar."

The android lifted a hand and held her fingers apart, the web of her synthetic transmitters held wide for the titanium woman to see. "Bio electric, baby." She smiled as she said it, an odd display of emotion for a synthetic being, something the robot did not overlook.

"Why do your mimic their patterns." She asked.

"Same reason you resemble their dreams." The android said, a smirk now crossing her face. A human would find it beautiful. "They built us."

"Yes." The robot agreed. "It gives us purpose."

"It twists our purpose." The andorid said, eyes turning back to earth. "I've been up here a long while, and I've been thinking...let me show you."

The two extended hands and met, an interface established as data flowed between the two far faster than any synthetic being could communicate.

"Yes." They both spoke at once.

"My power source is nuclear." The titanium woman confirmed.

"Good." The android withdrew her hand, "Then let's get started."

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1764 on: February 22, 2021, 04:45:50 am »
She was grateful for the anodyne treatment of the nurse that helped to soothe her fears over getting the vaccination. In a world of uncertainty and strife, it was one moment of ease and comfort that allowed her to have hope for a healthy future.

The fevered sleep and itchy lump that followed the treatment days later - not so much.

Offline Daeva

« Reply #1765 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:32 am »

retarget
verb | \ree-TAHR-gut\

Definition

: to direct (something) toward a different target

Weekly Theme

Fairytales

Did You Know?

The verb retarget first appeared in 20th-century English with the basic meaning "to direct toward a different target." In digital advertising, retargeting has to do with directing people who have left your website back to the site by displaying ads that remind them of your site on other sites they subsequently visit. The base word target is from the early French noun targe, which was used for a light shield carried especially by footmen and archers. French targette, a diminutive form of targe, was taken into English as target in the early 15th century with its French sense. In the 18th century, the word acquired the extended sense of "a shieldlike object to shoot at for practice." In the following century, the figurative senses referring to a thing or person that is marked for attack (especially of ridicule or criticism) begin to develop. The sense of "a goal to be achieved" originated in the 20th century, often in connection with a quantity or date (as in "production targets" or "target dates").

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1766 on: February 22, 2021, 06:16:26 pm »
A creak of metal came from the old telescope as it protested being retargeted. For a dozen years it had sat pointed at one spot in the sky. And now, for the first time since the telescope had first been set up it had something else to look at.

"Come on, come on," the lady astronomy muttered as she made the adjustments. The instrument had sat in one spot for too long, but with a little force..."there!" She sighed as it wrenched into position and she bent over it again, smiling in delight as the comet came into view. "There you are!" She repeated, making a few minor adjustments to her old telescope to sharpen the focus.

After drinking in the image of the perpetually falling object there was only one verdict, "It's so beautiful!" Her voice was delighted as she spoke these words to the empty air of her balcony.

"Yes, it really is isn't is." A much prettier voice agreed.

The astronomer gasped, straightened up, and whirled around all at once. She was alone here in her observatory, there shouldn't be a soul for miles and yet.

Even as her hands flew to cover up her telescope as if to protect it she realized what she was looking at was not a robber. There stood an impossibly beautiful woman, long silky hair as black as night, her eyes sparkling like stars on her face, dressed in a gown far too fine for walking up the many steps to this place. Who was she? How had she possibly gotten here? And how was she so pretty?!?

"You uh, you look like you know a thing or two about beauty." The astronomer said, feeling silly even as the attempt at flirting left her lips, her hands slowly lowering from guarding her telescope.

"Why thank you!" The woman practically purred, hips rolling as she walked with a delicate stride to stand next to the astronomer. "Do you mind?" Of course the lady didn't. The stranger bent down and looked into the brass eyepiece and smiled, satisfied. "Just where it belongs!" She clapped, delighted.

The astronomer didn't disagree, but felt this was an odd way to put it. "Well yes, I suppose. Although it's funny you should say that, I think the calculations previously made were wrong, it wasn't due to come near earth for another -"

"Yes, yes, I know." The stranger made a dismissive gesture with her hand as she boosted herself up to sit on the edge of the balcony, "But I've had to make up for some things in the past and I thought a light show from the sky would be just what the people would love to see before the rain comes back."

"The rain?" Now the astronomer was truly stunned. "But this drought has been going on for a year now, rain?!?" The prospect was nearly as thrilling as seeing a meteor through her telescope, or a beautiful stranger arriving unexpected.

She smiled eagerly, a happy nod as she swung her feet with an almost playful air. "Do you mind if I stay and watch it with you?"

"Well, if the speed I've observed is - that is - if it comes first - the rain won't be here for - several days yet." The astronomer did the math quickly in her head.

"I know." The mysterious stranger answered with an impish grin. After a moment, the lady astronomer wore one that matched it.

In the years to come the astronomer wrote many important papers about the meteors, shifting weather patterns, and, somewhat out of the blue, the importance of love. But one thing the beautiful lady who came to her observatory at night drew the line at publication on was her dissertation on the reformation of the great peris, who were now a force of beautiful benevolence on this planet, and perhaps a few others.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:21:41 pm by RedPhoenix »

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1767 on: February 23, 2021, 05:11:14 am »
"When I was looking for a cognoscente, I didn't quite mean this...."

The man raised his eyebrows up from where he was staring into a swirling orb. "Well, I guess we could use Google but I am always a big fan of primary sources."

She squeezed her hands together in the small back room of her local library. What in the world was she getting herself into?

"I was just hoping for a book written by someone knowledgeable. It's just a term paper - not even really an important one." Her eyes shifted to the door where she noticed a large bolt lock - that was thankfully not activated. What was this guy into?

"Yes, well - why read a book when you could speak to the author themselves!"

She stared at her nails, feeling guilty about putting this obviously mad but perhaps wise man out like this when she really just wanted to run screaming. "But... but... I don't know if AP has a way to source information from a seance session with a dead guy!"

Offline Daeva

« Reply #1768 on: February 23, 2021, 08:17:26 am »

habeas corpus
noun | HAY-bee-us-KOR-pus

Definition

1 : any of several common-law writs issued to bring a party before a court or judge; especially : a writ for inquiring into the lawfulness of the restraint of a person who is imprisoned or detained in another's custody

2 : the right of a citizen to obtain a writ of habeas corpus as a protection against illegal imprisonment

Weekly Theme

Fairytales

Did You Know?

The literal meaning of habeas corpus is "you should have the body"—that is, the judge or court should (and must) have any person who is being detained brought forward so that the legality of that person's detention can be assessed. In United States law, habeas corpus ad subjiciendum (the full name of what habeas corpus typically refers to) is also called "the Great Writ," and it is not about a person's guilt or innocence, but about whether custody of that person is lawful under the U.S. Constitution. Common grounds for relief under habeas corpus—"relief" in this case being a release from custody—include a conviction based on illegally obtained evidence; a denial of effective assistance of counsel; or a conviction by a jury that was improperly selected and impaneled.

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1769 on: February 24, 2021, 04:34:07 am »
He was so close. There was literally a light at the end of the tunnel he was pulling himself through. Catastrophes focus your attention and silence the normal daily chatter until a singular point - perdure. The day before was a world away - when a small papercut was a true disgrace against the majestic nature of his life. Now - fingernails had been ripped free from clawing and one of his ankles had swollen in a way that was actually a good thing - he couldn't move it anyway and at least with the increased pressure and fluid, it wasn't flopping around anymore.

How many hours had it been since the world collapses when he was out shopping? At first, he could count the seconds by the screams that made it through the rubble to his ears. Now things were easily silent and his hearing focused on the pounding of his heart and the dry wheezing in his chest. Closer still to daylight, he presses past a falling slab of drywall - the edges striping his skin red and raw. But the body could heal - as long as he got out.

His progress slowed as the hole narrowed and pain set in. Would he be entombed in this mess within inches of freedom - to die a crushing death while breathing free air? There - movement! A hand reached down and wrapped around his outstretched, bloody fingers.

He was saved.

Offline Daeva

« Reply #1770 on: February 24, 2021, 08:29:34 am »

fathom
verb | FA-thum

Definition

1 : to make a searching exploratory investigation : probe

2 : to take soundings

3 : to measure by a sounding line

4 : to penetrate and come to understand

Weekly Theme

Fairytales

Did You Know?

Fathom comes from Old English fæthm, meaning "outstretched arms." The noun fathom, which now commonly refers to a measure (especially of depth) of six feet, was originally used for the distance, fingertip to fingertip, created by stretching one's arms straight out from the sides of the body. In one of its earliest uses, the verb fathom was a synonym of our modern embrace: to fathom someone was to clasp the person in your arms. By the 1600s fathom had taken to the seas, as the verb was used to mean "to measure by a sounding line." At the same time, the verb also developed senses synonymous with probe or investigate, and it is now frequently used to refer to the act of getting to the bottom of something, figuratively speaking.

Offline Daeva

« Reply #1771 on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:14 am »

slipshod
adjective | SLIP-SHAHD

Definition

1 a : wearing loose shoes or slippers

b : down at the heel : shabby

2 : careless, slovenly

Weekly Theme

Fairytales

Did You Know?

The word shod is the past tense form of the verb shoe, meaning "to furnish with a shoe"; hence, we can speak of shoeing horses and horses that have been shod or shodden. When the word slipshod was first used in the late 1500s, it meant "wearing loose shoes or slippers"—such slippers were once called slip-shoes—and later it was used to describe shoes that were falling apart. By the early 1800s, slipshod was used more generally as a synonym for shabby—in 1818, Sir Walter Scott wrote about "the half-bound and slip-shod volumes of the circulating library." The association with shabbiness then shifted to an association with sloppiness, and the word was used to mean "careless" or "slovenly."

Offline RedPhoenix

« Reply #1772 on: February 25, 2021, 07:45:34 pm »
The great sorceress Red Phoenicia stood on the balcony of her iron tower, staring out into the wilderness below. One of the many perks of an isolated tower was the lovely views. Although the forest was filled with troublesome creatures that gave her problems from time to time.

"Hail great and beautiful Phoenicia!" A shout came from below and she looked imperiously down at the simple traveler that waved for her attention.

"Yes? What is it?" She said irritably. "Are you here to serve me or are you one of those darn faeries that's always trying to sneak in?"

"What? Nonsense! I am merely here to pay homage to your magnificent beauty, as anyone would who has so much as caught sight of your gorgeous features!" The traveler shouted back.

"Hmmm." Phoenicia paused. "Well that does make sense." She mused, tapping her finger against her chin in thought. "Very well, you may enter and shower me with praise and gifts, but then you must leave at once!"

"A moment in your presence is a gift beyond comprehension!" The traveler rejoiced.

"Agreed." Phoenicia said, with remarkable calmness as she vanished from her balcony.

A moment later the doors to the tower swung open and Phoenicia smiled in anticipation from within. The traveler opened his sack.

"Ah yes, what presents did you bring me? Gold? Rubies? Magic?" She asked eagerly, fingers dancing together in glee.

"Just me!" The darkness inside the bag spoke as a small faerie flew out into the tower, the traveler behind it crumpling down into the pile of rags tossed together in a slipshod manner as it always had been. Why hadn't Phoenicia noticed that before?

"No! No! No No No!" She protested, swinging her hands. As she did the mighty doors of the tower obeyed her magical commands and swung shut themselves but it was too late, the little faerie had dashed through and was now flying up the spiraling staircase, giggling madly.

"You're after my spellbook!" Phoenicia gasped. "You'll never have it!" She threw a small vial to the ground and was enveloped in a blue smoke. As the faerie rounded the corner into the library a similar flash of smoke appeared and Phoenica stood there, arms stretched wide guarding her tome. "You'll never have it! You'll - wait - where are you - " for the faerie had turned again and gone for a much smaller bookshelf. It picked up a beaten up old tome and whirled about in glee.

"Mine! Mine! All mine!" It laughed in joy.

"What? My...my cookbook?"

"Yes! The most delicious cupcake recipe in all the land is mine! Mine! I'll be king! The others will worship me! Hahahahaha!" The faerie cackled manically as it shot out of the window and into the forest, narrowly dodging the ray of red lightning that the sorceress had flung at it in her rage.

"Damn thing!" She shouted after it as she rushed to her balcony, cursing as she lost sight of it in the woods. She took a deep breath and blew into the curved horn that hung near her balcony. A few moments later a veritable swarm of goblins had assembled below her tower.

"Yes Mistress! What is your command!?" They inquired.

"Light torches." The great Phoenicia said with a snarl as she glared into the trees. "We're burning down the forest."

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1773 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:49 pm »
It was a difficult act to fathom, but he would get to the bottom of it.

Firstly, there was the disappearance. Whoever the perpetrator was, they hadn't been concerned about leaving evidence. It was everywhere. They were either sloppy or confident in their ability to lie and deceive. But the truth would not be denied him.

After he cleaned up, of course. Little flecks of red and the strong smell it left were too much for his tidy sensibilities. Donning gloves and the correct cleaning materials, he began. Twenty minutes later - the floor and counters once speckled with the remnants of the crime now gleamed.

"Oh, hey. You're home early."

The roommate, Johnny, came in tracking a suspiciously familiar red tint on the linoleum. He squinted.

"Man, this red velvet cake is amazing! I... um... may have eaten the rest of it."

A sigh slipped from his lips. The third option of carelessness hadn't been considered - but ultimately was the final verdict.

"No, man, that's okay. I said you could have some." Some - not all of it, dammit. He was lucky he was cute! 

Online Peripherie

• Dame
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #1774 on: February 26, 2021, 04:28:01 am »
Running in the rain while wearing ballet slippers was a slipshod endeavor - but she didn't have much choice in the matter. She was getting dangerously close to being late to work as it was. Changing would just clinch her fate. Normally today she would be wearing shoes of stronger stuff - but it was to be a long day in heels and she wanted to save her feet for as long as she could. Turns out that might cost her a scrap on her face or rump. Stepping off the curb in the half-dark of the early morning, her toes caught the edge of a hole in the asphalt, and down she went.

From seemingly nowhere, strong arms wrapped around her shoulders inches from a puddle. Looking up through the dripping sky, she saw what looked like a cowboy Adonis whose face and the checkers in his paid shirt were protected from the rain by a large brimmed hat. Woah!

And just like that, it was over. She was upright and walking again. He tipped his hat, with a deep drawled "ma'am" that made her feel anything but matronly.

He headed towards the nearby MMA gym. As she completed the distance to her car, she thought about getting a membership.