Problem logging in

Started by LilyOfTheGalley, December 01, 2018, 12:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilyOfTheGalley

Today I have been unable to log in to the site. When accessing it, it just endlessly waits before delivering me to an "about:blank" tab. It doesn't give me an error message, and I've had no other problems with any sites or with my internet in general. I ran a check on one of those "is it down or not" sites and the site said Elliquiy was working completely normally, so I'm sure the problem is on my end.

Weirdly, I then thought to use a private browser window (on Firefox), and I was immediately able to access the site, albeit logged out. I logged in and everything seems to be working fine (which is how I can be posting this message!) and yet even now if I open a normal (i.e. not a private) browser window I can't access the site.

I haven't done anything different than normal (other than not using the site much this week as I was ill) and yesterday I was able to log in and make a post. I am using the same browser (Firefox), computer, and internet connection as normal.

I'm not the most tech-savvy person so I'm sorry if I'm doing something obviously, stupidly wrong.

LilyOfTheGalley

Weirdly, when I try to edit the above message I get the same issue. It just hangs and won't let the edit go through. Yet this post goes through!

Oreo

Just in case this might help:

How do I clear all of Elliquiy's cookies?

Click here: https://elliquiy.com/clearcookies.php

This is a bit better than 'clearing cookies' as it will also purge server-side session data for you, and leave other sites' cookies intact. This also makes sure your local session cache is purged, which can fix a lot of weird problems.

If not I can poke Veks. I am not very tech savvy either. I just know that is the first step in testing, rather like "Have you turned off your modem?" / net tech guy voice

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

LilyOfTheGalley

Doing that did help me to log in, but then I still encountered the same issue when trying to reply to your post. So this reply is a test, if it goes through it's fixed...

Edit: It seems to be when trying to Quote or Modify a post that the issue persists.

LilyOfTheGalley

I was able to modify the above post the first time, but not the second time. Weird. Related to the fact that if you edit a post really quickly no "post edited..." line shows up?

Vekseid

What add-ons do you have installed?

I imagine it's a corrupted profile though : /

LilyOfTheGalley

Quote from: Vekseid on December 01, 2018, 02:32:47 PM
What add-ons do you have installed?

I imagine it's a corrupted profile though : /
I use an AdBlocker but have it disabled on Elliquiy.

Edit: Hurray, that post went through OK, so maybe the problem is solved.

LilyOfTheGalley

I'm sorry for all the double-posting, but it's evidently not solved as I wasn't able to modify the above post again after I waited a minute.

Edit: And now I can edit this one.  ??? Well anyway, thank you for having a look. It seems to be solved.

LilyOfTheGalley

Today I encountered a recurrence of this issue.

I navigate to Elliquiy as normal on Firefox, and it won't load. All other websites are working fine and my internet connection is working fine. I've tried "is it down" sites and they say Elliquiy is working normally. I've tried loading Elliquiy in a private browser window, and it works fine (which is how I am now logged in). I tried the /clearcookies page suggested above, which worked - briefly. Then almost immediately it stopped working again.

I guess I can access the site through a private window but is there any obvious reason for this issue that I could fix on my end?

LilyOfTheGalley

And now the same issue as before is back, too, where I can't edit my post (hence the double post, sorry!) I tried clearing my cache, to no avail.

Endorphin

You could always try resetting / re-installing the browser. This could also be an opportunity to try out Firefox Developer Edition, which you'd be able to install parallel without losing any info.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Vekseid

This may suggest your Firefox profile is corrupted.

Try setting up a new profile and see if that works.

LilyOfTheGalley

Quote from: Vekseid on January 22, 2020, 09:57:15 PM
This may suggest your Firefox profile is corrupted.

Try setting up a new profile and see if that works.
Thank you, I will try this.

Odanrav

Posting on behalf of LilyoftheGalley

"I'm sorry to keep harping on this. I'm sure the problem is at my end. And I'm sorry I'm so technically stupid I can't even accurately describe the nature of the problem. That the issue seems intermittent is somehow more frustrating than if I were just suffering a total lack of ability to post; I sent one PM successfully today, even as my attempt to send another repeatedly failed.

I can log in, and navigate around. I keep trying to post a new message, or reply to a post, or reply to a PM, or edit a post, and it won't let me. (Yesterday it seemed to work fine, though.) Although I have tried clearing cookies and my cache, refreshing Firefox, and loading through a new profile, I no longer believe Firefox is the issue as it has also stopped working on a private browsing window. I tried in Chrome, and it also didn't work, which suggests to me it's not a browser issue with my computer or internet, somehow.

On Firefox, this is the message I receive:
QuoteSecure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to elliquiy.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

On Chrome, this is the message I receive:
QuoteThis site can’t be reached
The webpage at https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send2 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR
I've tried searching for reasons this might have happened but most tech help posts about it seem either developer-side or totally incomprehensible to me. As a long shot does anyone know what's causing this issue?

This post itself did not go through, even though previously I’ve been able to post in this thread, so I have asked Odanrav to post on my behalf."

Endorphin

What result do you get if you try logging in with another device such as a phone or another computer? Do you get the same error if it's on the same network or does it resolve it if you are on a different network? You want to identify if it's the browser, computer, profile, ISP, etc?

Also try searching for the site and using the link in Google, in case you're introducing an error in the address bar.

Have you tried other browsers such as Opera, Safari, Edge or Firefox Developer? Firefox Developer because it's the same interface as FF but with additional functionality.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

AmberStarfire

I think your antivirus could be doing it. I'd try disabling it (but keep your firewall up) and see if it changes anything.

I'm pretty sure I had problems with Panda doing that once. You could also make sure it's on your antivirus's and browser's white list (if it has one).

LilyOfTheGalley

I was able to reply to a PM today. Then I tried to reply to this thread, not five minutes later, and was unable to. Now I am able to, using a private window. As I say, the inconsistency is much more frustrating than a blanket problem!

I am not able to try on another computer as I only have 1 and (given the nature of E) am unwilling to try on my housemates' devices. I have tried other browsers and been able to access E but not post (the title of this thread is a bit out of date, it's not logging in but posting or replying that now seems to be the problem). I have specifically whitelisted E.

Does anyone know what normally causes the error messages Odanrav posted for me (thank you!)? My inept attempts at searching mostly return sites talking about SSL issues, but I've never had any problems with this on E except on image-heavy pages where people have posted non-https image links. However, given I'm encountering issues so inconsistently I don't see how this can be the issue, and no one else seems to have any such problems with the page.

Vekseid

Sorry for not getting to this sooner.

QuoteThe page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

You would normally see that error on older sites using insecure TLS versions. Elliquiy is about as secure as things can get, really. We don't even support the TLS versions that setting in Firefox permits.

But because of that, things may break on E that will fly elsewhere, if something is in fact wrong with your device.

QuoteERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

This is... odd. A user could see this if their client is taking a -really- long time to load. My webserver is pretty forgiving in this regard - browsing the site would have to be utterly intolerable to trigger this.

One possibility is that you have a corrupted or compromised TCP stack, and that every other site you use is just more forgiving or accepting of the antics your stack is throwing at it.

Malware can be the culprit through a variety of means.

What operating system and version are you using? I can give a list of tools to try in rough order.

LilyOfTheGalley

Thank you for replying and don't worry, I know the problem must totally be on my end, not E's.

I am using Windows 10, version 1909.

edit: this post went through normally in Firefox, heh. So did this edit!

Vekseid

Do you know if you are on 32 bit or 64 bit?

If you have > 4 gb of ram that is definitely 64.

LilyOfTheGalley

64-bit. I have 8GB of RAM.

Vekseid

First thing you can try is Malwarebytes, and see if that finds anything.

If it doesn't grab the 64-bit version of FRST here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

And run with all default options. PM me the resulting logs.

LilyOfTheGalley

Thank you very much.  :-)

PennySludt

Quote from: Vekseid on January 27, 2020, 04:26:49 AM
First thing you can try is Malwarebytes, and see if that finds anything.

If it doesn't grab the 64-bit version of FRST here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

And run with all default options. PM me the resulting logs.
Wow! I KNEW my computer had a virus but Norton deep scan kept saying there was nothing. Malwarebytes found over 2,000 things!
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

KieraJade

This issue is currently also happening to me.
#prismbreaker
"I am not a committee!"

PixelatedPixie

Quote from: PennySludt on January 28, 2020, 09:51:33 AM
Wow! I KNEW my computer had a virus but Norton deep scan kept saying there was nothing. Malwarebytes found over 2,000 things!

It's worth noting that most of what Malwarebytes found is probably tracking cookies and potentially unwanted programs, not viruses.  So more privacy violation issues and increased security risks than traditional viruses.  Not to say you wanted them on your computer, but (generally) not as scary/dangerous.

Vekseid

Quote from: KieraJade on January 30, 2020, 12:52:11 PM
This issue is currently also happening to me.

Lily had a VPN she wasn't using that was still injecting itself in places. I don't know if her problem is fixed, but you can try what I said above and I can look through the logs.

Amaris

Another friend of mine mentioned having this problem on another site. It was only happening on Chrome, though. So I wonder if it's a chrome issue? Like a recent update? She also has a relatively old computer. She tried all the above things.

Vekseid

There are way too many variables at play without knowing the exact errors.

AmberStarfire

I don't know if it's connected, but when I access here (Elliquiy) on my phone, I keep getting certificate warnings.

It says it's valid from tomorrow, rather than from today.

I'm using a really out of date browser on my phone though and it probably needs restarting, which I'll do later. (I'm waiting for a call so need to keep it on).

Vekseid

Can you install something more modern like Dolphin or Firefox?

Is your phone's clock set correctly?

AmberStarfire

I could, yeah.

I think I found the problem. I'd been in Australia and I had the timezone still set incorrectly (but the time itself was correct).