Macross and/or Voltron?

Started by Tokyorose627, November 05, 2018, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyorose627

I love the macross series, just good ol’ fashion mechanic fights and romance, with a hint of antics and the idea of plots and villains! Alines, humans, all kinds of races getting along while some sort of space battle is happening in the skies! Series like Macorss and Voltron get me excited to write in these settings, and I was curious if anyone else wanted something in these sort of universe?

TFcommando

Macross lends itself easily to spin-offs that avoid precise canon questions, since so many civilian colony ships with a transforming battle fortress and variable fighters were sent out across space.  I'd love play in a system-backed mecha game, to be sure. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Tokyorose627

Still thinking about this idea using these elements! Would anyone else be interested in a RP with some space elements and mecha battles, with maybe some romance and music in the mix? :3

TFcommando

Totally!  The Voltron aspect of normal people swept up into space to pilot mecha could be fun to put in, all sorts of sexy aliens and cultures with different (and fewer!) taboos!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Tokyorose627

Yeah, I thought it could be fun! Not sure if people are interested in that sort of idea though, y'know?

Wouldn't even know where to start. XP

The Lovely Tsaritsa

I would love seeing this, a Voltron game, or a Robotech game, for Southern Cross. For me anyway, one with a pretty trap pilot character. ::)

Florence

Robotech was one of my favorite shows and I still love it to this day, lol.

I've still never properly watched through all of the original Macross, but I'd absolutely love a game like this.

I'm a giant mecha fan in general, particularly stuff like Gundam and Macross, but also stuff like Battletech and Mechwarrior.

I always really loved the transforming aspect of Robotech/Macross's mechs. Something about being able to switch between a fighter jet and a humanoid mech in the middle of a fight like that always inspires such badass imagery.

Wish I could say I'd be up for running it, but if this game finds someone, I'm down to play.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Florence on January 18, 2019, 08:38:03 PM

I've still never properly watched through all of the original Macross, but I'd absolutely love a game like this.

I'm a giant mecha fan in general, particularly stuff like Gundam and Macross, but also stuff like Battletech and Mechwarrior.

I always really loved the transforming aspect of Robotech/Macross's mechs. Something about being able to switch between a fighter jet and a humanoid mech in the middle of a fight like that always inspires such badass imagery.

Wish I could say I'd be up for running it, but if this game finds someone, I'm down to play.

Well I would be running it, maybe? Depending on interest and if people would want something like this. D:

Florence

Oh, well, I assumed because it was in the "Players Seeking GM/Groups" section that you weren't planning on running it, but I'd be down to play either way! So you can certainly count me interested.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Florence on January 18, 2019, 11:35:37 PM
Oh, well, I assumed because it was in the "Players Seeking GM/Groups" section that you weren't planning on running it, but I'd be down to play either way! So you can certainly count me interested.

Thanks! I'd wanted to see if others were interested, that's why I posted it.

TFcommando

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on January 19, 2019, 12:12:59 AM
Thanks! I'd wanted to see if others were interested, that's why I posted it.

I'll go for broke... were you thinking of having a system-based game for this?  A Voltron-style combiner game would be tricky, given player attrition... if someone's slow, or drops out, you can't combine any more! 

That said, there was an interesting bit in the Gurren Lagann manga that wasn't in the anime.  The Lagann was able to combine with Yoko's M Tank mecha, turning it into a powerful sniper unit with a barrel several times the length of its body.

It'd be a challenge, but imagine a game where everyone has their own mecha and two can combine into something greater, reflecting the pilot on "top" in the fusion.  That'd have some salacious elements to it as well, though would require some work to figure out what any two people's mecha would look like and do.  And later in the series, threesomes!
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

Tokyorose627

Still thinking about doing something in this sort of setting, just not sure what it would be. A small group of people fighting for the galaxy? A school type. setting where many characters can interact as they work their way to the Galaxy's greatest army base to pilot?

Still not sure. Anyone else interested in an idea like this?

Sessha

Quote from: Florence on January 18, 2019, 08:38:03 PM

Interestingly enough, if you've seen Robotech, then in all honesty you don't need to watch the og Macross series. Aside from a few detail changes(some major, but mostly minor) Robotech was a fairly faithful to the Macross source Material.

Now that said if you want to do a true Macross game I'd be up for doing one. Also if you plan to do a true Macross game I might be able to convince someone else to throw his hand in the game as well. As both he and I are huge Macross fans.

Which if you want to know some more about Macross in relation to many of the mecha and a few interestingly little tidbits. This website is a treasure trove of data. http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Mac84

Quote from: Sessha on May 02, 2019, 01:48:50 PM
Interestingly enough, if you've seen Robotech, then in all honesty you don't need to watch the og Macross series. Aside from a few detail changes(some major, but mostly minor) Robotech was a fairly faithful to the Macross source Material.

Now that said if you want to do a true Macross game I'd be up for doing one. Also if you plan to do a true Macross game I might be able to convince someone else to throw his hand in the game as well. As both he and I are huge Macross fans.

Which if you want to know some more about Macross in relation to many of the mecha and a few interestingly little tidbits. This website is a treasure trove of data. http://www.macross2.net/m3/m3.html

Did someone say "Macross"!? ^_^

I always keep quite a few macross Based Plot Ideas in my back pocket. So I can offer my services if the OP needs any Ideas and such.

may I introduce one of the best Mecha from the Macross Franchise. The VB-06 Koenig Monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfpxki_7ocE

Tokyorose627

I super love Macross, and have wanted to do something with the genre for a while now. With the mocha aspect, space travel and interactions with other alien species, the battles and drama, and all the fun idol music in between, I've been wanting to, just not sure how to go about it. I don't really want to do a simple school, but much like how a Macross series starts, with an army base already in place with characters piloting, some others being scientists, while others are the public that somehow get involved.

I'll most likely come up with a plan for it, but if any of you want to throw in your own two cents to me I'd be happy to hear them :D

Sessha

Well if I remember right there was a period between the end of the og series and M7 that is nice and rife with stories to be told. Mac84 might correct me on this one but the 2030s was a real good era for dealing "The Frontier" as it was back then with humanity taking it's first steps into the larger galaxy while still dealing with various remnants of Zentradie that led to Earth's devastation and such. So yeah we got plenty to work with. Or conversely we could do something post Frontier. I know Mac84 and I have been doing a single one on one game since like 2012 based around this idea. Though I hope you won't take this wrong way, but please, please for the love all that is holy good and true with this world DON'T do something around...Macross Delta *shivers in vile revulsion at just saying the name.*

Mac84

I think the 20s and 30s were more covered in Games than animated media. but it would be a good era to play as not much is done in this time frame

Macross Plus, and M7 bot take place in the forties, while Frontier is Early-mid Fifties.

While I feel Delta was a bit of a disappointment. That time frame isn't very bad either as it allows us to use more races such as the Ragnarians, Windermerians (though you'll have to explain why He/She is off Windermere), and the cat-people among others.

Sessha

Quote from: Mac84 on May 02, 2019, 07:03:28 PM
I think the 20s and 30s were more covered in Games than animated media. but it would be a good era to play as not much is done in this time frame

Macross Plus, and M7 bot take place in the forties, while Frontier is Early-mid Fifties.

While I feel Delta was a bit of a disappointment. That time frame isn't very bad either as it allows us to use more races such as the Ragnarians, Windermerians (though you'll have to explain why He/She is off Windermere), and the cat-people among others.

Boo! Boo! Delta sucks balls!  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Sessha on May 02, 2019, 07:29:40 PM
Boo! Boo! Delta sucks balls!  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

I...I loved Delta.  :-(

Sessha

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on May 02, 2019, 07:34:29 PM
I...I loved Delta.  :-(

Then you my dear are a rarity. As outside Japan most of the fan base universally hated Delta. I mean there were some good gems for ideas and such that could have been good in there but you can clearly see the studio exces meddling all over it.  The writing for the series is all over the place and moments that were suppose to be important things that were suppose to be revealed ended up being a huge let down upon the reveal. Plus this is the first Macross series where we didn't get a single kiss on screen, like ever.

Among some of the writing issues was the obviously shoe horned romance between our main protag, (who I can't seemed to remember the name of and that's saying something) and his instructor Mirage. Honestly I never felt any romantic tension between them and she only took up with him because we needed a love triangle. The reveal that Freya was just some girl when the writing was clearly seeming to lead up to the reveal that she was someone of importance. Also that part of the reason our main protag was suppose to be special seemed to be leading towards the fact he might actually be Half-blood with the planet.

To say nothing of the shoehorn ending of "Lets work together guys!" in the last like 5-10 minutes of the series.

The other issue was the fact that show felt over loaded with characters. Mainly because they were going for an idol group style which just adds characters and then the whole crew plus all the side characters and that each pilot had his or her own girl to watch over. Again that was like 10 characters just right there. Then the you take into account the Windimereian Knights that's 15 characters, plus all the misc. side character brings the total cast itself up to over twenty characters. That's...a lot of needless characters.

Sorry for the rant. It's just...the series was not very good. However that said I still want to play in a game you run.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Sessha on May 02, 2019, 07:51:41 PM
Then you my dear are a rarity. As outside Japan most of the fan base universally hated Delta. I mean there were some good gems for ideas and such that could have been good in there but you can clearly see the studio exces meddling all over it.  The writing for the series is all over the place and moments that were suppose to be important things that were suppose to be revealed ended up being a huge let down upon the reveal. Plus this is the first Macross series where we didn't get a single kiss on screen, like ever.

Among some of the writing issues was the obviously shoe horned romance between our main protag, (who I can't seemed to remember the name of and that's saying something) and his instructor Mirage. Honestly I never felt any romantic tension between them and she only took up with him because we needed a love triangle. The reveal that Freya was just some girl when the writing was clearly seeming to lead up to the reveal that she was someone of importance. Also that part of the reason our main protag was suppose to be special seemed to be leading towards the fact he might actually be Half-blood with the planet.

To say nothing of the shoehorn ending of "Lets work together guys!" in the last like 5-10 minutes of the series.

The other issue was the fact that show felt over loaded with characters. Mainly because they were going for an idol group style which just adds characters and then the whole crew plus all the side characters and that each pilot had his or her own girl to watch over. Again that was like 10 characters just right there. Then the you take into account the Windimereian Knights that's 15 characters, plus all the misc. side character brings the total cast itself up to over twenty characters. That's...a lot of needless characters.

Sorry for the rant. It's just...the series was not very good. However that said I still want to play in a game you run.

Ah...ok. I agree with some of the stuff you said, like the forced triangle I did not like that, but please do not try to rub the salt in the wound with people not liking Delta please. Doesn’t make me all that happy tbh.

But I’ll see if this game even happens, don’t know what the turn out will be.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Sessha on May 02, 2019, 07:51:41 PM

Also male protagonist was Hayate Immelmann for yah.

Sessha

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on May 02, 2019, 07:59:20 PM
Also male protagonist was Hayate Immelmann for yah.

Ah thank you. Look I realized I might have come across wrong there and I do apologize for that one. I let my fanboy get away with me. I do admit at first I liked the series, but after later re-watchings I realized the failings of the show pretty quick. I mean if I had to say my own dislike the series isn't born from pure hatred of it. No if anything my dislike comes from disappointment more than anything else. As I mentioned there was so much potential that series could have been one of the greats and you can see many of the kernels of good ideas strung about the series but in the end all the potential was wasted just so the studio exces could hit those chart numbers.  I mean the show's creators were talking about the fact that the delta symbol not fully lining up was meant to mean that things were going to be different and such and this was like a year or so before the show was even released to the public.

For example from the first episode they were making it seem like Hayate himself was special. That he always felt restless and such and moved from place to place and how he was able to use the Wind Powers only when he sync with Freya. I honestly expected them to reveal that he himself was half-windimearian. Or that Freya herself was some princess in hiding or something along those lines.

Again sorry for the long winded rant(again). I just thought maybe I should explain myself a bit more as I guess I did come across a bit hot headed earlier and that's my fault and I wanted to apologize for coming across that way.  If you like the series, then I guess you like the series. I can't see it myself, but I am not you. I like a bunch of things that a number of people I know can't see how I like it. So I know that and yes even I can point out why said series are bad and such but at the end of the day liking the series is what we like.

Anyway I know you will have at least two dedicated players in me and Mac84. I know others expressed interest and such so I think you might be able to get something going.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: Sessha on May 02, 2019, 08:23:21 PM
Ah thank you. Look I realized I might have come across wrong there and I do apologize for that one. I let my fanboy get away with me. I do admit at first I liked the series, but after later re-watchings I realized the failings of the show pretty quick. I mean if I had to say my own dislike the series isn't born from pure hatred of it. No if anything my dislike comes from disappointment more than anything else. As I mentioned there was so much potential that series could have been one of the greats and you can see many of the kernels of good ideas strung about the series but in the end all the potential was wasted just so the studio exces could hit those chart numbers.  I mean the show's creators were talking about the fact that the delta symbol not fully lining up was meant to mean that things were going to be different and such and this was like a year or so before the show was even released to the public.

For example from the first episode they were making it seem like Hayate himself was special. That he always felt restless and such and moved from place to place and how he was able to use the Wind Powers only when he sync with Freya. I honestly expected them to reveal that he himself was half-windimearian. Or that Freya herself was some princess in hiding or something along those lines.

Again sorry for the long winded rant(again). I just thought maybe I should explain myself a bit more as I guess I did come across a bit hot headed earlier and that's my fault and I wanted to apologize for coming across that way.  If you like the series, then I guess you like the series. I can't see it myself, but I am not you. I like a bunch of things that a number of people I know can't see how I like it. So I know that and yes even I can point out why said series are bad and such but at the end of the day liking the series is what we like.

Anyway I know you will have at least two dedicated players in me and Mac84. I know others expressed interest and such so I think you might be able to get something going.

It’s ok, i know how some people can get with something they love or dont love. I agree with some of the problems of the series, but I love the characters and the music, and we still have another movie so maybe it’ll be better then the series.

Hoping it’ll go well! Mac and I are talking about what we could do for setting wise.

Mac84

While My sentiment on Delta aligns closely with Sess, I don't utterly hate it. More fairly disappointed with the execution. However that is merely my opinion as a Fan. That should not prevent you from Enjoying the series. As Sess said there are some good points and spts that I enjoyed.

One being that Mirage Jenius was not some super Ace out of the box cause of her linage. I also liked her overall character design, and personalty. You could really understand and feel the pressure she was under from simply being a "Jenius". Though the "Love Triangle" between her and Hayate I did indeed felt forced and grossly out of place.

Ernst Johnson's Introduction was Hilarious.

There were very high expectations for Delta, and I believe Shoji Kawamori even said that it would take a departure from what was traditionally Macross, Hence the way the Delta symbols for the show here "Broken". but we saw how the suits with the money pressured the writers and what it did for the show.

I'm wanting to see how the movies turn out.

My favorite Macross Shows were the Original, Plus, and Frontier. As well as the DYRL, and Macross II Movies. I know there are people out there that don't like any of those. Some saying Frontier is too dark and politically involved. And how the original has not aged well. (Granted, there is a manga series that reboots the original Series called Macross the First) But I enjoy then and woul watch them over, and over again.

I just felt that Delta was hampered by too much involvement by those that have no artistic inclination. There was a lot of potential there, and I'm sad to see that it didn't live up to the Macross that I know, and love.

Again, these are just my opinions on the matter. And should only be taken as such.