You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

February 28, 2021, 09:18:04 pm

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Keep Getting "Message Body Left Empty" Prompt  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Mr. VyceTopic starter

Keep Getting "Message Body Left Empty" Prompt
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:21:49 am »
Pleasant morning, all! When I tried to post a new thread today and was just giving it a final once-over, I keep getting an error message saying "The message body was left empty". I tried it on different Internet browsers (both Firefox and Chrome), and still got the same result. Help me, please?

Offline Oniya

Re: Keep Getting "Message Body Left Empty" Prompt
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:42:59 am »
Was your post pasted in from a word-processor?  I vaguely recall something like this happening when using the 'smart quotes' feature (the one that makes your quotes curl towards the text they contain).

Offline Gypsy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:05 am »
This also happens to me when I've got an emoji in the title of the post.

It posts anyway, but the warning message is always there when I preview.

I checked one of your latests posts --

You have 💝 in the message body.   This (and maybe others as well) will trigger that 'Message body left empty' warning when you preview.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:55:08 am by Gypsy »

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:45 am »
Was your post pasted in from a word-processor?  I vaguely recall something like this happening when using the 'smart quotes' feature (the one that makes your quotes curl towards the text they contain).

It was from Wordpad, but not something like Microsoft Word. Does that make a difference?

Offline Oniya

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:02 am »
The key aspect is whether there are 'special characters' that aren't in the forum's standard set.  As Gypsy pointed out, some of your recent posts have odd emojis in them.  I don't recall if WordPad had a 'Smart Quotes' setting (you should be able to tell by looking at the way the quotation marks display), but avoiding non-keyboard symbols would be my first bit of advice.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:04:18 am »
As Gypsy pointed out, some of your recent posts have odd emojis in them.  I don't recall if WordPad had a 'Smart Quotes' setting (you should be able to tell by looking at the way the quotation marks display), but avoiding non-keyboard symbols would be my first bit of advice.
Ah. That's the part that tripped me up; I used odd emojis/symbols in past posts, and never got that message before. But I did what you and Gypsy said, and I can now post. So let me just say to you both...

Offline Gypsy

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 10:20:34 am »
You can still post, even with the warning.  It doesn't make the post not work, it just gives a bogus warning.  I use the crystal ball emoji in several of my posts, and just ignore the warning on preview.

Glad you got it figured out.

Online Vekseid

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 02:48:26 pm »
This also happens to me when I've got an emoji in the title of the post.

It posts anyway, but the warning message is always there when I preview.

I checked one of your latests posts --

You have 💝 in the message body.   This (and maybe others as well) will trigger that 'Message body left empty' warning when you preview.

Yeah. I fixed the bug that actually blocked the posts, but fixing this specific issue is far too difficult since we're converting anyhow. Just ignore the warning and it should post.